warning re capitalisation and deferment rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by desamax View Post
    If for instance a flat worth 175k on a long lease with a ground rent of £785pa
    Would the valuation of an identical flat with a ground rent of £50pa or a peppercorn be worth slightly more? If the answer is yes how is the extra valuation worked out?
    thanks.

A small ground rent will attract a higher capitalisation rate because the costs of collection weigh in more heavily on the smaller rent - very small rents possibly as high as 10%

capitalisation rates have often not been given a lot of discussion as the type of cases that go to the FTT are those with shortish leases where the rent is now small because of inflation

A recent case in Bournemouth the ground rent was large and the rent reviewed every 15 years and the rate was around 3.5%

Comment

Thanks sgclacy

I’m looking at short leases with maybe onerous Ground rents, as a cash buyer If I can get the lease enfranchisement started before completion by the vendor, I can flip the property with the profit made once the lease has been extended. One property I have in mind has 59yrs lease £785pa ground rent valued at 175k with an Extended lease. As it stands it’s worth 150kish less for cash.
      On negotiation on the lease price, would I be right in reducing the long leasehold price by about 3-5k as the ground rent has an adverse effect on the capital value of the existing lease. This would reduce the marriage value and give me a bit more profit. Do you think this is viable and would work in the negotiations.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks sgclacy

I’m looking at short leases with maybe onerous Ground rents, as a cash buyer If I can get the lease enfranchisement started before completion by the vendor, I can flip the property with the profit made once the lease has been extended. One property I have in mind has 59yrs lease £785pa ground rent valued at 175k with an Extended lease. As it stands it’s worth 150kish less for cash.
        On negotiation on the lease price, would I be right in reducing the long leasehold price by about 3-5k as the ground rent has an adverse effect on the capital value of the existing lease. This would reduce the marriage value and give me a bit more profit. Do you think this is viable and would work in the negotiations.
        Thanks again.
        A lease ext will cost you on a 59 year lease with a ground rent of £785 pa annum and with a flat worth £175k extended something in the order of £28k plus costs

Therefore there is nothing to be made at buying it at £150k, in fact to deal with the stress and agro you need to be getting it for around £125k and no more

The basis of the long leasehold price is what the flat would be worth with a very long lease and a nil ground rent

Comment

I didn't fully understand how the ground rent was calculated, but I got the impression it was escalating. That could actually increase the premium, as the usual nett present value computation is based on a ground rent that never changes.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
            I didn't fully understand how the ground rent was calculated, but I got the impression it was escalating. That could actually increase the premium, as the usual nett present value computation is based on a ground rent that never changes.
            We are told the lease is down to 59 years and there was a review in 2014. So I assuming that the rent was adjusted in the 66 years of the term. Therefore the next review is in 28 years time.

28 years is too far away for it to be much use and relies on movement in capital values and therefore becomes somewhat difficult to predict. Well argued I suppose you could get 5% for the capitalization rate but I suspect unless you can spend some thousands on the preparation of the case in this case I think you would probably accept 6%

Comment

The ground rent increases £50 when the property is sold, if sold for more than the last purchased price,
              50p in every £100 over the last sale price is added to the ground rent that's how i understand it .

So I’m wrong in believing I can ask for a discount on the lease valuation price because of the onerous ground rent, If i go to tribunal.
              I was referring to this tribunal determination..... A bit dated i know but it states a reduced value because of the ground rent.

https://decisions.lease-advice.org//...-3000/2757.pdf

Comment

So I’m wrong in believing I can ask for a discount on the lease valuation price because of the onerous ground rent, If i go to tribunal.
                You can definitely ask, the question is whether or not the tribunal would agree with you - and that could potentially go either way, depending on how well each side argues their case.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Wrong original lease reigstered with Freeholders/HM Land Registry?
                  by Gordon999
                  The Land Registry keeps the record of ( 1) property title and ( 2) the site plan for your leasehold flat.

I suggest you check if the garden area is shown on the site plan for any of the ground floor flats? You can buy the site plan and download from LR Online for £3 by credit card.
                  20-11-2019, 03:42 AM
                • Wrong original lease reigstered with Freeholders/HM Land Registry?
                  by sarahbrowne
                  Hi, long time lurker here, hoping someone might be able to advise.

We recently purchased the leasehold and shared freehold of a ground floor mansion block flat. There are gardens all long the back of the Mansion block, which only the gournd floor flats have acces to. Most have fences all...
                  19-11-2019, 14:24 PM
                • Reply to RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
                  by Gordon999
                  If the RMC company is kept non-profit making and staying dormant, the RMC does not need a "business account with debit card".

The RMC just needs a current account with cheque book for the service charge money ( designated a client account.) to ring-fence the money as belonging...
                  20-11-2019, 03:32 AM
                • RMC - Dormant Status with HMRC - Banking
                  by bigalxyz
                  I'm one of the directors of an RMC looking after a leasehold building (having recently taken over from an external property manager).

The company is dormant at HMRC. It has a business account, unused. All of our funds (service charge monies) are in a separate client account.

19-11-2019, 14:44 PM
                • Reply to Service charge budget for 2020
                  by Gordon999
                  The budget proposal is a rough estimate of maintenance spending for the year and is used to calculated what each flat should be charged for their annual service charge levy.

The audited accounts which are produce about 6 months after the year end will show you what was actually spent
                  20-11-2019, 02:24 AM
                • Service charge budget for 2020
                  by stum
                  Hi
                  I have received a budget for the servcie charges for 2020. This is sent as a budget proposal, but at same time suggests that charges will start in January 2020, making it not a proposal but a matter of fact, as far as the service agent is concerned.
                  I am querying one of the proposed...
                  19-11-2019, 20:53 PM
                • Reply to Service Charge Percentage Wrong
                  by leaseholder64
                  I've re-read the lease extract, and it still seems to me that most of the items under block costs relate to internal common area items.

What I suspect has happened is that 4 of the leases have different wordings, that fail to cover those items, and those don't get the internal items list,...
                  20-11-2019, 00:42 AM
                • Service Charge Percentage Wrong
                  by gidoc
                  Dear all,
                  I hope this forum can guide me to the next step. I have a leasehold apartment, which I purchased in July 2007. I have never been able to go through the whole lease esp the page no1, which clearly defines the service charges as 1%. I am however been charged 2%( extra 1% for communal areas,...
                  17-11-2019, 21:47 PM
                  by leaseholder64
                  Looks like there are 101 properties on the estate, 96 of them contribute to your apartment charge and 92 to your internal charge.

What are the actual numbers in each category?

The actual percentages differ from the lease, but are more accurate for an equal split 101/96/92 ways....
                  20-11-2019, 00:25 AM
                  by gidoc
                  Here is a breakdown of service charges:
                  the internal area cost- is not being paid by equivalent apartments(very few)- which do not have internal areas.
                  thanks...
                  19-11-2019, 23:03 PM
                Working...
                X