Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting agency charges

Hi,

In my last rental statement from the letting agent, £90 had been deducted for an 'Income and Expenditure report' fee. I was advised that this was "This is a yearly cost and is for you to submit for tax purposes"

I just want to check if this is a standard fee Letting agencies charge and whether I should be able to opt out of this?

Many thanks

Neil

If it is not part of the contracted services for which you have an agreed fee
    I would politely decline
    You compile your own tax returns - thanks

And find another agent - or don't use an agent.

Comment

In nearly 20 years in agency, I have never come across this being a mandatory/automatic charge to a landlord.

I have experience of agents who will charge for it if requested as it may be an additional item of administration you require which is not part of their management package (I disagree with this kind of additional charging entirely, but that's another matter).

It could, of course, form part of your management contract with the agent (that you agree to this annual charge in exchange for the statement). In which case you need to read contracts more carefully before agreeing to them.

I would do as AndrewDod states and tell them you did not request the document and nor do you need it. Request a refund and if they refuse then I'd look to switch to an agent with better terms/more transparency over their fees.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. This gives me more confidence requesting a refund as I am relatively inexperienced as a landlord.

I looked at the agreement and there is no mention of this charge. I asked the agent for any contract or corrospondance where I agreed to this last week and he has not responded.

Thanks again

Neil

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X