estate agent asking for passport details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

estate agent asking for passport details

Hi all, I am new to this as landlord and hope to get some advice here. the estate agent initially made unsolicited contact and been following to ask to be the letting agent for a flat. He then asked for my passport details saying it is a must before the marketing. I haven't had such request from other agents in the past and really not comfortable doing that. I can understand if the request was for property ownership but not the passport details. Has anyone been asked in similar way? Thanks,

The Landlord has to satisfy himself that you have a right to rent. He will need to look at your Visa if you are not a british national. Even if you aren't a British National, he still has to do this check.

Comment

Thanks for the message, Claymore. I understand if I am the TENANT, then yes, agent/landlord will ask the passport. However, as stated, I am the landlord in this case, hence am puzzled as to why the agent is NOT asking the property ownership but rather passport details, and I am concerned about the identity theft. I've told the agent so and asked why.

Comment

There are two separate issues here

a) Should you use an estate agent who contacts you (and should you use an estate agent at all). Probably Not to either

b) Should agent verify who you are --- yes absolutely. So should a sensible tenant. Proof of ownership would mean nothing without proof of identify.

Comment

It is good due diligence for the agent to verify your identity as owner of the property. It is a legal requirement for an estate agent to do so and it will be introduced to cover letting agencies soon - possibly as soon as October this year.

A good agent will be doing it already.

If you're not happy to do so then I'm sure there are other agents in town who will let your property without requiring your ID. But ask yourself whether or not you want such an agent handling such an expensive asset.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X