Current Letting agents has transferred me to a new letting agent without asking me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Letting agents has transferred me to a new letting agent without asking me

Hello. I am new to forums so please forgive me if I do not do it correctly.
    I have been with my current Letting agent for approx two and a half years.
    I received an email from the letting agent ,followed by a letter, to say that they were no longer doing lettings any longer and had transferred me to another agent.
    The tenant I have has been a good tenant and I am wondering about managing the property myself instead.
    Do I have to go with the new agent that has been assigned to me? If not, then what measures do I need to take to inform the agents that I do not want to be transferred.
    I do have another property that I do manage myself, so I do have some idea of the pitfalls of managing a property myself.
    Many Thanks

Unless the business has been sold or your agreement says something to allow a transfer like this, your agreement with agent 1 can't simply be transferred to agent 2 without your agreement.
    I would write to both companies telling them this and ask for copies of agreements deposit information and everything else that they have.
    It's possible that agent 2 now has these and may charge for the admin.

Tell the tenant to pay you the rent directly and to contact you in the event of any issues.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Your agreement with the agent may say something like, "We reserve the right to transfer our rights and obligations as your agent to a third party under the same terms laid out here...etc."

This is basically them saying, "we can sell this contract to another agent and you'll still have to adhere to these terms."

Whether or not it'd stand up in court I have no idea.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X