Can I contact tenant directly without breaking LA agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I contact tenant directly without breaking LA agreement

Although the tenant pays directly by direct debit to my estate agent every beginning of the month, it fails to pass it on to me, the January rent still in his account and when I ring him he says YES, IT HAS BEEN DONE, ALL SORTED, ITS IN THE ACCOUNT DEPARTMENT but nothing ever gets to my bank. The service has gradually being getting worse, I spoke to the agent and he said that the rent has not being paid when I know it was. Can I contact the tenant directly without breaking any agreement that I had signed?

Thank you for any advice.

It is impossible for anyone here to say whether this breaks any agreement you have signed without seeing err.... any agreement you have signed. I suggest you read any such agreement and see what it says.

You are right to be concerned as this can be a indicator of cash flow problems with the agent.

Comment

You need to do some quick research on this agent before the tenant pays any more rent to them. It may be that they are on the edge of insolvency and using your rent money to keep their heads above water.

What redress scheme are they part of? I assume that they are not one of the larger agents? Have they filed accounts recently? What are others saying about them online?

Go and see them face to face and find out what's going on and while you are there, check that they protected any tenants deposit and served the correct papers within the 30 day limit as you will have no access to this information if they go under.

Comment

Read your agreement, find the terms to dismiss and dismiss the agent.

Has a deposit been paid? If so, has it been properly dealt with?

Agent appears to be dishonest. Rent is not their money so why, other than their fee deduction, is it being considered as part of their cashflow?

If a Client is spending £50k on an extension it doesn't make it my money.
        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X