Tenant finding fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant finding fee

I pay for fully managed property and have had tenants recently leave. Can I be charged a tenant finding fee (600) plusVAT by my letting agent because the new tenants decided to go with an alternative letting company?

How do new tenants choose which agent to use?

What does your current service agreement say on the subject?

Comment

The new tenants viewed the property with the letting agents I use. They then went to another agent who ordered cheaper fees. My letting agent say I have to pay the tenant finding fee £600 plus VAT. It appears to they are disgruntled about losing out? I really wanted to know if they have can actually charge as its the new letting agent they've decided to go with.

Comment

Agency doesn't work like that. Both agents are your agent. Prospective tenants can't choose their own.

What does your agency agreement say about fees? It sounds as though they DID find the tenant. Why should they not receive a fee?

Comment

I agree they did originally find the tenants, however they decided to go with the other letting agent who has conducted the referencing, etc. I want to go with the new agent therefore don't believe I should have to pay the old agent who the tenants don't want to work with.

Comment

Are you saying you intructed two separate agents to find tenants? If so, you have to pay the Agent who found the tenants. Both you and the tenants have created a mess.

Comment

It is definitely a bit of a mess! Would you say the agent the tenants have paid money to or the agent they first registered with?

Comment

The Agent who introduced the tenants should be paid.

Comment

It isn't a mess.

What does your agreement with the two agents say?
                  I suspect you are going to find you are obliged to pay both organisations, having retained two people to do the same job.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You are liable to pay the first agent their fee if they genuinely introduced the tenant first (IE. booked a viewing and showed them around - they should easily be able to prove this).

My advice would be to tell the second agent that unfortunately they were a bit too late to the party and you are contractually bound to use the first agent.

If you follow the current path you're on then you could find the first agent taking you to court for their fee.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X