Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping my tenants but losing the agent

Hello there,

I have been using a London letting agent for the past 4 years for my flat in South East London, they have been okay, but a bit sketchy at times. How I came to use them was via a professional connection, but the original contact (who I liked and trusted) at the agents is no longer there. They seem to have a high turnover of staff, and shall we say that a number of agents assigned to my property over the years I've felt have not been entirely trustworthy. I have had 2 tenancies in this period, the current tenants have been there for almost 2 years. I have built up a good relationship with them, and have very often bypassed the agents altogether in matters that I could attend to. The tenants wish to renew (the contact is up mid May 2017) but have requested that we go it alone after the contract period (and with the agents) ends. I am considering this as an option. But am unclear as to the legality of extricating myself from the current relationship with the agents, whilst keeping hold of the tenants. This must be fairly common I assume with long term tenants, and letting agents must not like it, perhaps guarding against it. But is it doable I wonder? Is there any potential come back? Going forward it would suit both the tenants and myself as landlord to continue but without the agent. Any thought or suggestions will be most gratefully received

Paul W

You will have to read your Terms and Conditions.

Comment

Flashback1966 is right, your contract with the agent is the starting point, but I would assume that they will try to charge you a fee for keeping the tenant if you end the contract with them.

Incidentally, I wouldn't replace the contract with the tenant unless you have good reason to. I would just let it become periodic, which is automatic and will give you more flexibility. The same tenancy conditions apply except they can now give one month's notice and you can give 2 months.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X