What things are an estate agent looking for in a reference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bambam789
    replied
    Thanks man. We should be ok. Just trying to get things clear in my mind for the future. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• bambam789
    replied
    jpkeates,

Yes I agree after reading up on it. I will keep the recording to myself for reference. We should be ok reference wise as factually we've paid rent on time, we've done no damage to the property, we get on well with neighbours, no debts or bad credit score at all. Unfortunately we are parting on bad terms with the letting agent and landlady which can hinder us but what's done is done. I will wait to see what happens when it comes down to the reference.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam789 View Post
    Thanks for you reply. From what I've read online it is not illegal to record a private phone conversation.
    You can record a conversation for your private use (like to make a transcript or to listen to at night), but you can't give a copy or play it to anyone else.

References aren't all the same.
    Normally they're pretty factual - because people worry about negative references, so silence is better (and "I can't comment on how frequently they paid late" isn't really any different to "they paid late all the time").
    There's often an informal agent to agent conversation if the agents know each other - which is very informal - but doesn't happen all the time.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam789 View Post
    What things are an estate agent looking for in a reference?
    ""Mr BamBam has always paid rent in-full & on time, maintained the property perfectly, got on with neighbours, agents and landlord with no complaints or difficulties: I have no hesitation in recommending this candidate & would be happy for him to
    - marry my daughter
    - looking after my grandchildren
    - manage my investments""

(well, you did ask..)

So pleased to hear you are confident in your legal rights: I do not share your view regarding recordings but, hey, free country, you are entitled to your opinion. (But I also do record some calls).

Leave a comment:

• bambam789
    replied
    Thanks for you reply. From what I've read online it is not illegal to record a private phone conversation. Maybe you know more than I do but the legal websites I have gone onto state that I am within my rights.

Regarding the paper side of things. I was looking at a local paper to contact. We are moving to another part of the country soon so I can't see how it can affect us in another county. I fully see your point of view if we were staying local though.

So do you know what a reference includes? What do they ask & look for? Is it factual questions like - Can you confirm rent payments were made on time? or is it more informal so basically our old lettings agents can say they advise not having anything to do with us?

Thanks again for reply. Much appreciated

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Ignoring lots of other issues, if you appear in a local paper complaining about a landlord, it is unlikely that any landlord or agent who reads the paper will want to rent to you - fair or not.

Rats are not necessarily the responsibility of the landlord, it depends on how they're getting in (for example).
    If you play that recording to someone else, you're breaking the law (unless the landlord consented to being recorded) - you can use it to create an accurate transcription.
    While what the landlord did sounds a bit crappy, it's not illegal.

Not all landlords give references, many give "informal" undocumented references.
    I'd be upfront about falling out with your landlord (it happens) and be ready to show the regular payment of rent using bank statements.

Leave a comment:

• What things are an estate agent looking for in a reference?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. What things are an estate agent looking for in a reference? We are looking to rent somewhere but are concerned when the estate agent we are dealing with phones our old letting agents what they will ask.

We parted on bad terms through no fault of our own. Long story short - we complained about rats in the loft & walls and instead of looking into the problem they asked us to leave the property within 3 months. The official reason they gave for getting rid of us was the landlady wanted her property back for a family member to live in which is untrue as I called the landlady direct and she stated that the reason was we were making her life awkward and trying to get her to spend money getting rid of rats which she doesn't want to do. Unfortunately for her I recorded that telephone conversation on an app on my phone. So my last question is does anyone know if I went to my local paper with this story could my old letting agents be nasty and ruin our reference?

We are nice people with a 6 year old boy & all we did was ask them to get rid of rats so he didn't have them scrating next to his head in the wall each night. Instead of doing the decent thing she put us on the street effectively if it hadn't have been for a kind family member. I find it so unfair as the next famlly that she moves in there paying £750 won't be told there are rats in and out all the time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Lee

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X