Change of letting agents once tenant is found??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of letting agents once tenant is found??

Hi all

I have a letting agent who has proved to be worse than useless, almost dangerous. I got talked into using them by a mate and I put forward a tenant to them who had contacted me as I am too lazy to carry my own vetting. Anyhow to cut a long story short after nearly a month of haggling with the letting agent the tenants turn out to be OK. My problem is as I only wanted a find and vetting service the agent will not confirm any details of the AST wording before I agree a move in date for the tenants. I state this is incorrect and am entitled to see the wording before I agree to a move in date and basically told them to get stuffed and reached a stalemate. Can anyone shed any light here as I really want to go back to my old letting agent and take these tenants with me to them, as I know the service I get from them and details of the AST etc they use?

What agreement did you make with the agents when you retained their services?

Remind them that they work for you and to stop dicking around.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Verbal agreement I never returned signed papers. I can remind them and do but you know when someone is not able to do the job, I get quickly disinterested. They have tried 3 times to agree a move in date for the tenant despite not having completed the vetting, told me the guarantor was a home owner, when he is not, not checked the income of the lead applicant until I demanded it, it goes on and on

Comment

These are the questions I asked the letting agent. They refused to answer them until I would agree a move in date??

I think we are largely there just a couple of points I wish to confirm

1 AST will be written using the following: will be for 6 months and then go into periodic with no need to renew at a set date etc

2 Please confirm that inventory and schedule will be completed prior to move in

3 Please confirm the time likely frame for getting the balance of money paid by the tenant on the day of move in into my account minus your fees? If this is long winded due your accounts department I would prefer to pay your fees myself and have all funds from tenant directly to me (if that makes sense)

4 Can you ensure the guarantor deed is completed and attached to the AST at the time of signing, as they go together.

5 I will leave a copy of DPS deposit scheme rules for the tenants and pay the deposit in myself once received.

6 I will leave another set of keys in the kitchen of the property ready for when the tenants move in

7 I will leave a tenant copy of the valid landlord gas cert in the kitchen also and send over a copy to you prior to move in date.

Please let me know if anything has been missed from above?

Comment

Do not use these agents, simply tell them you are no longer interested in doing any business with them and instruct your own preferred agent.
          Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

By the way there is a little more involved than simply leaving a set of keys and gas certificate on the kitchen top. I suggest you instruct a competent agent to do things properly at the onset such as serving all the correct information and complying with deposit regulations in a timely fashion.
            Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Originally posted by barriejames View Post
              I get quickly disinterested.
              er... do you:

Originally posted by barriejames View Post
              after nearly a month of haggling with the letting agent the tenants
              A letting agent needs to be held to account from day 1. If they say they'll get back to you, get a specific day when they will and, if they deliver late, a watertight reason why not. Otherwise, ditch them immediately. If they can't sort out get an AST set up correctly, they are a liability.

Comment

When you lose the agent, you will also lose the tenant.
                You can't have it both ways.

But, everything you are posting indicates that doing business with this agent would be a disaster.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

... and that you shouldn't trust any tenants provided by said agent to be anything less.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X