Agency fees to pay, when you change an agency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency fees to pay, when you change an agency?

I have a property which now is managed by an agency. Since the agency management fees are not agreeable with each other, me and my agency, I am planning to change one( it's a brand new property so all I want to ask is to find a good tenant but they are asking for full management for price of a LOT) then, they sent me contracts, and says,
    WHEN changing an agency, I have to let them know minimum 3 months notice, PLUS have to pay £360 inc VAT to them, as a handling charge.
    IS THIS POSSIBLE?? I am almost getting nothing from that property after paying so much to this and that. And they say they choose good tenants compared to other tenants, and they insist to pay that percentages because if I pay less, then I get "not good" clients from "not good agents"
    How can on earth agents can keep landlords forever and what law? We are not in jail?
    Is this fees normal, or something they are only adding onto my contract,
    Honestly I am so sad to now that some people using some power to threaten clients by any way. (It's not even how you train people in sports, like martial arts, not to hurt anyone but to have a discipline)

Read the contract that you have with your agent.

See how much notice it says that you have to give them, and any fees that you have to pay when you want to leave them.

Comment

You're running a business.
      If one of your suppliers wants to do business with you on terms you are not happy with, either don't do business with them or negotiate terms.

What you need to consider is how much your business is worth to the agency over (say) 18 months - which is the length of an average lease.
      They make a percentage of a property sale and want to make a comparable amount of money from a let.
      Using an agent is expensive.

And yes, thats a fairly typical clause.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes I know it says there, but I just was wondering why it was so expensive everytime they charge us. Founder fee, renewal fees, terminate fees, but I do read them and now I see it there. Thanks.

Comment

I did negotiate but they didn't want to negotiate with me. But thank you for letting me know that it is a typical clause. That's all I wanted to know.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting agent trying to persuade me into paying another month of rent
            by Platybus
            Hello, so this is me and my fiancee's first time renting a property. It is a fixed term contract lasting 12 months, which started on the 8th of March 2019 and is supposed to end on the 7th of March 2020. Now last night I wrote an email to the agent informing her that on the 7th of March we will be leaving...
            25-02-2020, 18:05 PM
          • Reply to Letting agent trying to persuade me into paying another month of rent
            by jpkeates
            Don't send that message.
            The agent is wrong.

The tenancy ends on 7th March, and if you move out and return possession to the landlord (or agent) before midnight on that day, that's it.
            There's nothing the landlord or agent can do to change that.

If you stay in the...
            26-02-2020, 08:41 AM
          • Reply to Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
            by ringzer
            I'm afraid I just coughed up the renewal fees. I did howver negotiate a further reduction in renewal fees. I had signed up to 7% + VAT for the first letting and 6% + VAT for renewals to reduce 1% each year.

However having spoken with other agents, a 2% step down and for only 1 renewal was...
            24-02-2020, 09:54 AM
          • Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
            by ringzer
            Hi,

I have been renting a 1 bedroom property in London for the last 14 years which has been pretty successful. For the first number of years I rented it myself (I had one guy in there for 5 years whch was great) but in the last 4-5 years I have been using agents. When using an agent the...
            21-01-2020, 23:32 PM
          • Reply to Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
            by Mbl
            Hi

i am curious to know how you resolved the issue. Did you get legal advice? I am in the same boat with a London agency looking for £1900 for a renewal which required little or no work on their behalf....
            23-02-2020, 09:58 AM
          • Reply to Letting agent deduction of rent from deposit
            by AndrewDod
            Well it sounds as if there was a semi-negotiation of sorts. These sorts of things really should be in writing, agreed, and accompanied by a deed of surrender. However since you have defaulted on about 4 months of an agreement, you are not in a great position to argue the exact details of that default...
            20-02-2020, 21:07 PM
          • Letting agent deduction of rent from deposit
            by marymcgon
            I have recently moved out of a rented property. The tenancy renewed on June 10th last year, however in October I informed the letting agent that we would like to leave the property by February 10th due to a change in circumstances. They agreed that this was fine and we paid £595 for a re-advertising...
            20-02-2020, 16:59 PM
            by marymcgon
            Yes - the tenancy runs from June 10th to June 10th. There was no negotiation process - they just asked for re-advertising fee. The move in date for the other tenants kept changing - despite their paperwork being completed by 31st January...
            20-02-2020, 20:52 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Presumably your tenancy started on the 10th of a month?
            When was the end of the fixed period following the 10th of June renewal?

In other words was this part of a negotiation to end the tenancy during a fixed period, i.e. in breach of an agreement? - in which case anything goes -...
            20-02-2020, 20:42 PM
          • Do i have an exit?
            by Jacksy
            Hi all
            Need some advice and clarification please.

I signed up to 36 month tenancy last year.

I got an email from the agent in January 2020 asking if i wish to resign for 6 months or 12 months.

However, i wish to leave the premises due to myself and my partner...
            13-02-2020, 13:16 PM
          Working...
          X