BTL: property self-management after/without Agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like sound advice jeffrey!

are there any solicitors on this website?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJohnson View Post
      sounds like sound advice jeffrey!

are there any solicitors on this website?
      Jeffreys signature might give you a clue

Or see here http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/dir/solicitors-legal.htm

Comment

You're joking right?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_f View Post
          I can see a business opportunity
          Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          Jeffreys signature might give you a clue

Or see here http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/dir/solicitors-legal.htm
          Both wrong, of course. I do not handle litigation of any kind, so my advice is disinterested (as you know it always is).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

evening gents!

continuing on from the dis agreement i have had with the agents, they emailed this today:

'If you now intend to take over (or have) any property we must receive notice in writing and for a period of not less than 2 months commencing after the end of any existing AST agreement we have with the tenant for the particular property'

so my question is, if i give them a reasonable notice period (1 or 2 months), and they have people tied into 12 month contracts, will i be in the wrong to take my property back and offer the tenant a new contract?

one tenant i spoke too had a 12 month contract he just signed and was worried to sign a new one with us, as he thought the old agents would hold him to it and sue him! they actually told him this as well!

things r getting a little messy!

ps: i spoke to a few solicitors, they told me what you told me, reasonable notice should be given

Comment

we must receive notice in writing and for a period of not less than 2 months commencing after the end of any existing AST agreement we have with the tenant for the particular property
              But:
              a. does this reflect the Agency Agreement; or
              b. is it merely something that they've now invented?
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

hi jeffrey

its something they've invented

they offer the tenants ASTs and put their name down as landlords

they're threatening to sue the tenants that sign new contracts with us over riding the old contracts

can they do this?

one tenant came in today, he has 4 months left on his contact with the agency and was afraid of getting sued for the remaminder of the 4 months if he signed a new one with us!

the agency threatened to sue us for the 4 months on this client - and all the other clients too that have fixed contracts with them! they cant do this right?

they are really bad, several tenants are suing them for disrepair and not sticking to their obligations as landlords

Comment

if you have signed terms and conditions with the Agent that state you must give 2 months then you should adhere to this.

If you have signed no contract with the agent then I would advise you to just give them one months notice in writing that you intend taking the property back and its easier to do this on a rent payment date.

However if you have tenants that the agent has just put on a then you should pay the agent up to the end of the fixed term.

Comment

hi poppy

many thanks for your input

no written agreement is in place

i have now taken them all back

to remedy the situation shall i give them 1 months commision on the ones that have periodic contracts?

and commision for the fixed term contract that i have over ridden with my new contracts?

please note, lots of the tenants were complaining about the level of dis repair, where some havent had heating or hot water for months - i warned the agents about this as complaints were voiced from the council and told them i'd taken them back if things didnt improve - in this case should i still be giving them any notice?

i've been told that if they are not meeting their obligations then i can get away without giving them notice?

Comment

hi poppy

many thanks for your input

no written agreement is in place

i have now taken them all back

to remedy the situation shall i give them 1 months commision on the ones that have periodic contracts? yes, think this is best

and commision for the fixed term contract that i have over ridden with my new contracts? i think this would be the fair thing to do and they cant then complain that they are not getting their commission

please note, lots of the tenants were complaining about the level of dis repair, where some havent had heating or hot water for months - i warned the agents about this as complaints were voiced from the council and told them i'd taken them back if things didnt improve - in this case should i still be giving them any notice? its up to you really, if you feel that the LA have defaulted in their obligations to you then just walk away and them to sue you...bearing in mind they might try and do this though if they feel they have a case

i've been told that if they are not meeting their obligations then i can get away without giving them notice?
                      Good luck!

Comment

I would also advise writing to each of your tenants, by email or letter, setting out that the agent has no authority over the binding nature of their tenancy with you (existing or future), their LL, and that they should not be intimidated by anything the agent says to them.

I would also advise them (after the notice period ends with your agent) not to deal with the agent any further.

The agent has no interest in any of your properties, he is (was) simply a marketeer. It is helpful to you that there is no written agreement with the agent.

Keep your tenants onside, and advise them of their rights vis-a-vis the agent, and warn them of the agent's false statements and threats.

Comment

Self Managing advice

I'm considering self managing my rental property. I'm after some info on successful tenant referencing. If anyone has any suitable info I would be most grateful?

Comment

If you go to the home page of this site www.landlordzone.co.uk you will find a link to the information you require about tenant referencing and credit checking. Remember you can always use an agent to find you a tenant and then take over the management of your property once this is done. A good, reputable agent with a high street presence tends to put off the less accepable tenant from even trying to apply!
                            If you do this, please check the contract that the agent asks you to sign carefully, and delete any reference in the agreement to tenancy renewals. These are totally unnecessary.

P.P.
                            Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

I've used Letsure for some years now and am happy with their service.
                              But I've not tried other reference agencies to see how they compare.

http://www.letsure.co.uk

I meet the referencing costs if I accept the person/group as a tenant.
                              I do so as it gives me a small edge since there is a lot of competition in my area and many landlords offer properties that are of a similar quality to mine.

If the applicant(s) are declined by the agency or the applicant(s) pulls out before or after the reference report is provided, the referencing costs are met by the applicant (s).
                              I take monies upfront to facilitate this.

Good luck with your plan.

Comment

useless agent

Hi

I have been with my current letting agent for 3-4weeks now and they still have not managed to find me a tenant. I am getting quite anxious and am considering going to another agent. I had a look at my current LA's terms of business before asking them to act for me and it seemed fine. Everything so far has been verbal and i haven't signed any contract with them as yet. My question is if i do go to another agent and ask the present LA to stop acting for me -do i need to put this in writing or is verbally ok? Or is it ok to ask both to act for me and go with whoever finds me an appropriate tenant? sorry for going on but as you can probably tell i don't have a lot of LL experience

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newbie needing serious advice!
                                  by steeveyboy64
                                  Hi All. I am very new to all of this and need some guidance. I am at the point where I am about to purchase a holiday letting chalet in Lincolnshire. Unfortunately the banana skin has been delivered in that the 3rd party solicitors are indicating that I can NOT use a 3rd party agent platform to advertised...
                                  26-06-2022, 14:15 PM
                                • Reply to Newbie needing serious advice!
                                  by Lawcruncher
                                  Presumably your solicitor has read the documentation. What does he say?
                                  26-06-2022, 21:00 PM
                                • Reply to Newbie needing serious advice!
                                  by Sydaton
                                  If you think they're, "greedy jackals" then why would you want to enter in an investment where your return is linked to their actions?

Also if you know that a customer can go to directholidays and get a chalet for £377, why do you think you can get £600?
                                  26-06-2022, 20:28 PM
                                • Reply to Agent vs Open Rent
                                  by gnvqsos
                                  You can do this yourself. Referencing is a risky thing to delegate.If the process fails it is the landlord who suffers, and the other party has the fees I would do my own requesting at lest evidence about
                                  1.job and pay
                                  2.rent payments historically, and conduct
                                  3.redacted bank statements...
                                  26-06-2022, 05:35 AM
                                • Agent vs Open Rent
                                  by annam222
                                  Hello all,
                                  I wondered if anyone could give me some advice please.
                                  Tenants who have been renting my one bed flat for the past three years have just given notice that they will be moving out. I have used a local agent on a ‘let & rent collection’ basis which has worked well but they...
                                  20-06-2022, 20:07 PM
                                  by Turbine Terry
                                  If you use the Openrent full tenancy creation service (£49 + referencing) they automatically serve the How to Rent guide and all prescribed information for you and protect the deposit, all done by the software (no human to mess it up) and by email and all parties are copied in for proof of service...
                                  22-06-2022, 11:16 AM
                                  by boletus
                                  I'm not. Other online letting agents are available....
                                  22-06-2022, 09:52 AM
                                  by Beswick
                                  Their process is about as simple as they could possibly make it. If you're logging into this forum and posting, it won't be a huge stretch of your abilities to get your property listed on OpenRent.

Yes, I used their referencing service (£20 per person, plus £20 for any guarantor). I...
                                  22-06-2022, 08:19 AM
                                  by Turbine Terry
                                  I am a huge fan of Openrent. There are lots of threads showing users experiences of Openrent on these forums. If you type Openrent into the search box at the top of the page on the main forum home page you will see them.

If you decide not to use Openrent, and so use a traditional agent,...
                                  22-06-2022, 08:08 AM
                                  by annam222
                                  Berwick thank you that’s so helpful! I will definitely do the inventory and great idea on printing and signing the Tenancy Agreement together- I shall do that too.
                                  Does the Open Rent site guide you through the steps of the process? I.e. advertise, meet/accept, reference etc?
                                  Did you use...
                                  22-06-2022, 07:46 AM
                                Working...
                                X