Agent wrecking flat with poor repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent wrecking flat with poor repairs

Hello all. I've been lurking here for a while, but had to register because my girlfriend and I have a problem that we may need advice from more experienced people on.

We don't live in the UK. When my girlfriend agreed to move in with me, she left her flat in the UK (Wales) . Two years ago we left it in the care of an agency, and obviously it was fully managed.

At first, this seemed to go well. There were a few things that needed doing, some got done at the start, and after we left the country we believed the agency was getting them done, taking costs out of the rent. But after that was supposed to be finished, the rent still didn't come in. When prodded for the rent, there was no reply. We then got in touch with the tenant, who informed us that the jobs that were supposed to be done, had not been done. Upon further investigation, it turned out that one of the two people who ran the agency had retired. The other person had given some of the work to her brother-in-law, who had botched it. The jobs that were supposed to be done were taking the tiles of the ceiling (polystyrene) and replaster it, including some skip hire etc. Its about a 50 square meter flat. They kept back some 2100 £ for this. And the job was done so badly it needed redoing.

We obviously changed agencies. Since then we've had a string of needed repairs at the property. Some of which, like the electricals are due to the previous agencys brother-in-law damaging the place.

My girlfriend informs me that there is no way of recovering the missing rent form the original agency, which is still trading, without traveling to the Uk and taking them to the small claims court.

Is this correct?

Rule 1: Never use a lettings managing agent to do or to arrange major works (even if you are out of the country). By major I mean anything more than arranging emergency fixing of a bust window or a broken light.

Rule 2: If you ever do major works you get quotes yourself and arrange yourself in person or otherwise

Rule 3: Don't use agents at all if possible (i.e. you should have sold the flat if possible)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Anders View Post
      My girlfriend informs me that there is no way of recovering the missing rent form the original agency, which is still trading, without traveling to the Uk and taking them to the small claims court.
      You can retain a solicitor to make the recovery on your behalf.
      They will be quite costly (if the other party loses, they will possibly be responsible for the costs, but the initial outlay will be yours).

However, if it goes to court, you would probably have to attend anyway - as the type court at which the hearing would be held are unlikely to be set up for video evidence.

It's a pain, but it's a practical issue.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X