End with letting agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End with letting agent

We have been with our letting agent for over 3 years now.

There have been problems over the years i.e lapse of gas certs, not getting inspection reports, old tenant having a dog on the property (smelt when they left the house and left all dog things in kitchen cupboard, house left filthy when tenant left, although agent said "he's seen worse")

However in the last week, we had a plumbing problem. The agent knows that we do all our own repairs and we are the first point of contact.

On Friday there was an issue with a faulty macerator for the washing machine. They called an emergency local plumbing company that they used. He inspected it and told the agent that the motor had burnt out.

A new pump would cost £400 including a call out fee.

I told the agent that as, they had started the job, they could continue.

We collected the old pump today and apart from a small build up of detergent the pump is OK.

We want to basically leave the agent.

I know it is not as easy as just leaving.

Check the agreement that you have with the agent.
    Unlike tenant agreements there's no underlying set of laws that you can refer to, there's the agreement that you signed up to (and basic consumer and contract law).

Most agency agreements don't have very good outcomes for landlords who want to exit, particularly if the tenant in the property is one that was found by the agent.
    But read your own agreement to see which flavour of unpleasant you have.

Personally, I wouldn't be blaming the agent for not knowing anything about washing machines - their emergency plumbing company is the one that's ripped you off, not them.
    I doubt a letting agent has any claimed competency in white goods.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by stockport1965 View Post
      I told the agent that as, they had started the job, they could continue.
      In which case, it was your choice to use the dodgy plumber - it's a bit harsh but the responsibility lies with you.

However, as you have already been advised, how you leave is very much dependent on what you agreed with the agent when you first signed up. If the departure terms seem onerous, let us know and we might be able to advise.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X