X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ram
    replied
    Originally posted by Froggart View Post
    I thought that a national agency would send people from the local area?
    You have 3 properties and you want one agent to manage them all. ( Or thinking of )
    The one agent could be 50, 100, 150 miles away from the furthest property.
    How are they going to do the 3 monthly inspections ?
    They have a contract with you, and no other agent, so if you want to be charged 50 / 100 miles traveling at £ 30 per hour + costs for monthy inspections, and for any other items that the agent has to check at the property ( you check before commiting to expenditure / obtaining quotes ) then fine.

If you want the agent to contact contractors 100 mies away, as the national agent cannot sent their tried and trusted workmen, then fine.
    A national chain is not going to ring up another, same national chain agent near your property for them to do inspections, call out local workmen, as said, they don't have a contract with you to supply any services to you.

Agents are self financing, and must make a profit for the office in the town they are in.
    Countrywide went on a spree of buying out small agents and just rebranding them, leaving the same staff in there, but enforcing strict cost controls never seen before.
    In my opinion, the second agent mentioned is an investor, which is not good for landlords.

Leave a comment:

• Hippogriff
    replied
    Originally posted by Froggart View Post
    Just wondered if it was likely to bring in a reduction of fees for managing multiples.
    You can always try before making up your mind - you have nothing to lose but time in opening up these discussions. However, I think the chance of success is quite slim as you are still a small fish in a big pond with 3 properties to offer them. To start talking proper discounts with national firms you would get better luck with a much larger opportunity.

However, that said, I have had a Tenant Find fee reduced from their high standard amount by a large Agent... not to anything like uPad levels, but to match the price I'd been given by another Agent.

Rather than focusing on what is likely to be a modest saving... are you also unhappy with the service from the local Agents? If you are broadly satisfied with the service, why not negotiate with the same folk you employ? Or have you already tried that and gotten nowhere?

Leave a comment:

• Froggart
    replied
    I thought that a national agency would send people from the local area?

As for the second agent - noted!

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    ALWAYS go with local agents, as one agent will be sending workmen from their town to the 3 properties, which will increase your costs.

One agent in one town is NOT going to call one of their agents in another town to go do an inspection, or get work done, as the national agent near your property has no contract with you.

I would also not, never ever employ the second agent you mentioned, ever.
    Too many posts on here and the internet about them. They are too big and the accounts are all done from one head office, and not from the local branch, and are usualy a total mess, and inaccurate.
    2 posts on here about their -- inabillity to add and subtract.

Leave a comment:

• Froggart
    started a topic Worth Moving To A National Agency?

Worth Moving To A National Agency?

I currently have two properties in different parts of the country. Both are managed by separate, local agents.

I'm about to add a third property - again, in a different part of the country from the others.

Is it worth moving all three properties to a single agency? Like Savilles, Countrywide, etc?

Just wondered if it was likely to bring in a reduction of fees for managing multiples. I'd also like to get invoices in a standard format and more easily see expenditure.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to estate agent new lettings delays
    by Plithenewark
    thanks, I am certainly favouring this approach. But any idea why they are messing around in this fashion? I suspect we will be charged for referencing....
    15-05-2022, 16:50 PM
    by AndrewDod
    Remove your instructions now (hopefully nil to pay) - and don't choose any tenants already passed on. You need to know the name of every tenant that contacted them to avoid a problem. Ask them to disclose that (if they refuse you are absolved if you happen to get the same tenant so make sure it is ...
    14-05-2022, 21:34 PM
    by ash72
    Not answering your queries does sound unprofessional, on the other hand if they are still awaiting the T's to complete the credit and reference checks this could be the hold up. I would probably give the agent and the T's one additional week, otherwise you are terminating any agreement.
    14-05-2022, 20:14 PM
  • estate agent new lettings delays
    by Plithenewark
    I have recently advertised a property for let using a local independent estate agent. This will be the first time I have let a property, given a lack of any rentals in the area, the agents were keen and advertised said property at beginning of a week for multiple viewings together at the the end of...
    14-05-2022, 17:16 PM
    by JK0
    I think you need to give notice to the existing firm. If you engage someone else before your sole agency runs out, you'll have two lots of commission to pay.
    14-05-2022, 19:09 PM
  • Confusion with Letting Agreements vs Tenancy Agreements
    by abimsalabim
    If the Letting Agreement between a Landlord and their Letting Agent and the Tenancy Agreement between the Landlord, their Tenant and their Letting Agent have conflicting clauses which of them is right?

For example, if the Letting Agreement states that the inventory checks will cost £100...
    21-04-2022, 11:11 AM
  • Reply to Confusion with Letting Agreements vs Tenancy Agreements
    by abimsalabim
    Thanks for all the help and advice with this. I've opted to get my own inventory check done instead of going with that of the Letting Agency and they agreed to it.
    13-05-2022, 17:35 PM
  • Agent Advice in Essex
    by Donchik
    Dear all,
    Does anyone recommend any review sites for letting agents that are based on the satisfaction of the Landlords, rather than the tenants?
    If not would anyone with experience of dealing with agents in Essex have any recommendations/advice?
    Cheers
    06-05-2022, 09:35 AM
  • Follow on Letting Agreement
    by thefirz
    I have a great tenant and the previous Agreement has expired. I have instructed the Agent to draft a follow on Agreement (for a defined fee) but with the rent collection service removed.

During the life of the last Agreement the Agent revised its T&Cs from those I signed up to. These...
    30-04-2022, 09:07 AM
  • Reply to Follow on Letting Agreement
    by ash72
    Either replace the agent if you live far away from the property, or self manage and cut out any agent.
    30-04-2022, 11:55 AM
Working...
X