Worth Moving To A National Agency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth Moving To A National Agency?

I currently have two properties in different parts of the country. Both are managed by separate, local agents.

I'm about to add a third property - again, in a different part of the country from the others.

Is it worth moving all three properties to a single agency? Like Savilles, Countrywide, etc?

Just wondered if it was likely to bring in a reduction of fees for managing multiples. I'd also like to get invoices in a standard format and more easily see expenditure.

Anyone done this? Thoughts?

ALWAYS go with local agents, as one agent will be sending workmen from their town to the 3 properties, which will increase your costs.

One agent in one town is NOT going to call one of their agents in another town to go do an inspection, or get work done, as the national agent near your property has no contract with you.

I would also not, never ever employ the second agent you mentioned, ever.
    Too many posts on here and the internet about them. They are too big and the accounts are all done from one head office, and not from the local branch, and are usualy a total mess, and inaccurate.
    2 posts on here about their -- inabillity to add and subtract.

Comment

I thought that a national agency would send people from the local area?

As for the second agent - noted!

Comment

Originally posted by Froggart View Post
        Just wondered if it was likely to bring in a reduction of fees for managing multiples.
        You can always try before making up your mind - you have nothing to lose but time in opening up these discussions. However, I think the chance of success is quite slim as you are still a small fish in a big pond with 3 properties to offer them. To start talking proper discounts with national firms you would get better luck with a much larger opportunity.

However, that said, I have had a Tenant Find fee reduced from their high standard amount by a large Agent... not to anything like uPad levels, but to match the price I'd been given by another Agent.

Rather than focusing on what is likely to be a modest saving... are you also unhappy with the service from the local Agents? If you are broadly satisfied with the service, why not negotiate with the same folk you employ? Or have you already tried that and gotten nowhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggart View Post
          I thought that a national agency would send people from the local area?
          You have 3 properties and you want one agent to manage them all. ( Or thinking of )
          The one agent could be 50, 100, 150 miles away from the furthest property.
          How are they going to do the 3 monthly inspections ?
          They have a contract with you, and no other agent, so if you want to be charged 50 / 100 miles traveling at £ 30 per hour + costs for monthy inspections, and for any other items that the agent has to check at the property ( you check before commiting to expenditure / obtaining quotes ) then fine.

If you want the agent to contact contractors 100 mies away, as the national agent cannot sent their tried and trusted workmen, then fine.
          A national chain is not going to ring up another, same national chain agent near your property for them to do inspections, call out local workmen, as said, they don't have a contract with you to supply any services to you.

Agents are self financing, and must make a profit for the office in the town they are in.
          Countrywide went on a spree of buying out small agents and just rebranding them, leaving the same staff in there, but enforcing strict cost controls never seen before.
          In my opinion, the second agent mentioned is an investor, which is not good for landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New agent not paying landlord
            by Cpark
            Folks I wonder if anyone can help me here, I have had the worst few years with my properties, the previous agents filled my properties up with delinquents and refused to pay the full sum, we lost 8 months of declining rents. Then was introduced to a new set of agents who really were impressive and opted...
            24-01-2022, 00:27 AM
          • Reply to New agent not paying landlord
            by DoricPixie
            I'm not sure I understand. Why would the letting agency want 4 months rent free? Is this one of these arrangements where you let the properties to the letting agency and the letting agency then sub-lets the properties to other people?
            24-01-2022, 20:43 PM
          • removal of letting agent
            by yeahremy
            Hi,

another topic on this but apologies as i cant find my answer on the other ones.
            My letting agent messed up the check in and check out report. Basically they keep telling me to pay the deposit back without really checking the reports.
            2y ago I had new tenants who moved in...
            24-01-2022, 16:12 PM
          • Reply to removal of letting agent
            by Landyman
            Is this the same agent that you were complaining about in October 2018?

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...managing-agent

I think the replies you received then are still applicable
            24-01-2022, 18:45 PM
          • Reply to No Rent received from Agent
            by Cpark
            Hi can you tell me how you’re proceeding I’m in a very similar situation thank you...
            24-01-2022, 00:32 AM
          • No Rent received from Agent
            by racer69
            Hi, all, my tenant left the property and handed the keys in on Dec 6th, that is when I normally get my rent from the agent or a few days after. As no such payment was forthcoming I went to the office after approx a week to see and was told they had been in and taken pictures of the poor condition of...
            21-12-2021, 20:47 PM
          • Reply to on resident landlord regisitration.
            by SandPit
            Wanted to post a quick update in case this is useful for anybody else.

There is no fee for the letting agent to register with HMRC to handle NRLs, all they need to complete the inline form.
            As soon as a letting has registered they need to start collecting tax on behalf of the HMRC....
            22-01-2022, 07:42 AM
          • on resident landlord regisitration.
            by SandPit
            Hi,

I am a non resident landlord. My letting agent has stated they are required to have 5 or more NRLs to register with the HMRC. Is this correct? Is there a fee to the letting agent?
            09-01-2022, 08:30 AM
          • Reply to Forwarding address enabled in CFP Winman
            by ethanlee
            Hi jpkeates,

Many thanks for your reply. What you have suggested make sense to me. I will contact the software supplier for more information then.

-- Ethan
            21-01-2022, 10:17 AM
          • Forwarding address enabled in CFP Winman
            by ethanlee
            I recently has some dispute with a property management agent about changing my correspondence address. I own a flat A and after a couple of years, I moved out to a house, but I still own that flat. After I moved out, I asked property management agent to change my correspondence address in their system,...
            20-01-2022, 14:38 PM
          Working...
          X