X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency witholding rent

Hi,

Can someone please offer advise?

I had an LHA tenant in my property. The agency applied to the LHA to increase the rent without my knowledge last year. The tenant was then receiving an increased amount of rent and paying it to the agency who kept the increase for themselves. Once I found out about the increase, I asked them for it. They claim that as my contract was not renewed they are entitled to keep it! I don't believe that for one moment they can make money off my property without me knowing. Any advise on how to make them pay up would be much appreciated.

Is this a guaranteed rent scheme or just a normal management arrangement?
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Hi,

It was a fully managed deal. Although they never actually did anything!

Comment

Assuming there's nothing missing from the story - they simply can't do that.
        That's simply fraud.

I would start by reporting them to the police.
        The police won't be interested (and will tell you it's a civil matter) because fraud is a pain in the bum to a policeman.
        Try and politely persist, because while you will have to recover the money as a civil matter what the agent is doing is "abuse of position, or false representation, or prejudicing someone's rights for personal gain"
        I.e. fraud.
        Try and, at very least, get them to record it and give you a crime number.

Then you send a letter before action to the agent, requiring the return of the money fraudulently withheld from you (assuming that you don't want to return the increased rent to the state - guessed not).
        You may want to mention that while you may take action to recover the funds, you suspect that their actions might be criminal so they may wish to take legal advice before responding.
        Then Money Claim Online for the total amount.

Once you have the money, I'd tell the council what the agent did.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Do you know the difference between what you received, and what you should have?
          What does your agreement with the agent state?
          Have you written to the relevant redress scheme that the agency belongs to?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• removal of letting agent
            by yeahremy
            Hi,

another topic on this but apologies as i cant find my answer on the other ones.
            My letting agent messed up the check in and check out report. Basically they keep telling me to pay the deposit back without really checking the reports.
            2y ago I had new tenants who moved in...
            24-01-2022, 16:12 PM
          • Reply to removal of letting agent
            by yeahremy
            Hi,

yes regarding the scheme but as soon as I raise a complaint by email, which party should launch the official complaint procedure.
            the estate agent is saying I have not requested the complaint form until now.
            Therefore, question is :when we do raise a complaint, this is...
            26-01-2022, 15:16 PM
          • New agent not paying landlord
            by Cpark
            Folks I wonder if anyone can help me here, I have had the worst few years with my properties, the previous agents filled my properties up with delinquents and refused to pay the full sum, we lost 8 months of declining rents. Then was introduced to a new set of agents who really were impressive and opted...
            24-01-2022, 00:27 AM
          • Reply to New agent not paying landlord
            by DoricPixie
            I'm not sure I understand. Why would the letting agency want 4 months rent free? Is this one of these arrangements where you let the properties to the letting agency and the letting agency then sub-lets the properties to other people?
            24-01-2022, 20:43 PM
          • Reply to removal of letting agent
            by Landyman
            Is this the same agent that you were complaining about in October 2018?

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...managing-agent

I think the replies you received then are still applicable
            24-01-2022, 18:45 PM
          • Reply to No Rent received from Agent
            by Cpark
            Hi can you tell me how you’re proceeding I’m in a very similar situation thank you...
            24-01-2022, 00:32 AM
          • No Rent received from Agent
            by racer69
            Hi, all, my tenant left the property and handed the keys in on Dec 6th, that is when I normally get my rent from the agent or a few days after. As no such payment was forthcoming I went to the office after approx a week to see and was told they had been in and taken pictures of the poor condition of...
            21-12-2021, 20:47 PM
          • Reply to on resident landlord regisitration.
            by SandPit
            Wanted to post a quick update in case this is useful for anybody else.

There is no fee for the letting agent to register with HMRC to handle NRLs, all they need to complete the inline form.
            As soon as a letting has registered they need to start collecting tax on behalf of the HMRC....
            22-01-2022, 07:42 AM
          • on resident landlord regisitration.
            by SandPit
            Hi,

I am a non resident landlord. My letting agent has stated they are required to have 5 or more NRLs to register with the HMRC. Is this correct? Is there a fee to the letting agent?
            09-01-2022, 08:30 AM
          • Reply to Forwarding address enabled in CFP Winman
            by ethanlee
            Hi jpkeates,

Many thanks for your reply. What you have suggested make sense to me. I will contact the software supplier for more information then.

-- Ethan
            21-01-2022, 10:17 AM
          Working...
          X