Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with a Letting Agent

Hi,

I have recently purchased a property and contacted a local agent so that he could help me rent it out.
    For a fee he was going to find me a tenant (taking in references, sorting out deposits etc) and then charge me a smaller fee (10% of the rent per month) for maintenance. I was told that finding a tenant would take a maximum of 30 days but he expected it to be a lot sooner.

The property has been empty now for a month in an area where houses usually rent out quite quickly.
    Every time I ring the agent for an update I feel as though I am getting fobbed off - with excuses like I am waiting for references etc.
    I have the following queries which I hope the more experienced landlords on this site may be able to help me with:

1. How long would you wait before you would start to let other agents have a go at renting it out for you?

2. He has not got me to sign any paperwork so my agreement with him is all verbal, is this usual?

3. If I wait another week or so and then get another agent involved, can the first agent try to charge me for any work that he may have done even though he hasn't kept his side of the bargain - i.e. has not found me a tenant for my property?

4. Am I right in thinking that when the property has been rented out (either via him or some other agent) then I should get a signed contract between myself and the tenant and details of the Landlord Deposit Scheme where the agent has put the deposit? Is there anything else that I should also expect to receive from the agent?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

S

Originally posted by ssingh View Post
    I was told that finding a tenant would take a maximum of 30 days but he expected it to be a lot sooner.
    The property has been empty now for a month in an area where houses usually rent out quite quickly.
    I've been renting out multiple properties for about 14 years now; I only ever used an agent for my very first rental. That was by far the longest void period I have ever had (can't remember how long, probably a couple of months though)/

Comment

As well as charging you to find a tennant, agents also charge an administration fee to each prospective tennant for doing credit checks ect...

I would expect the 10% is just for forwarding some of the rent to you. If any maintinence is required it will probably be extra.

Have you got a full ilst of his charges?

Comment

Firstly, may I suggest you read this, as I guess you are a little in the dark at the moment http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...2&postcount=12

Now, to your question - why is your property not being let? Is it at the same price as similar properties in the area? (try rightmove), is it in nice and ready to move into condition? or is it just that the agent is asleep? Chances are the problem is with one of those 3 areas. Presuming the first 2 are ok, it seems to be down to the agent.

The lack of signed paperwork is imho unprofessional, so maybe everything the agent does is of the same standard? Perfectly legal, as your conversations with him form a perfectly valid contract. So, what did you agree about his 'costs' and how long you would stay with him? Nothing? Then time for a new agent. With regard to any costs he has incurred that you didn't agree to pay, then he is going to be on thin ice trying to claim them from you - he might be able to if they were reasonable - but how much is a court going to think is reasonable for him to have spent when the net result was zero? Not a lot I guess. If I were the agent, I would consider chasing you through the courts to be not worth the time, money and effort when I might come away with nothing.

Incidentally, for a landlord who is not sure of what is necessary - or wants to keep away from the tenants - then agents can sometimes be worthwhile, but they are unlikely to ever treat your tenants or your property as well as you would because their efforts are divided amongst many landlords and tenants. Last time I used agents, the fees were £350 just to find a tenant OR £250 to find a tenant AND 10% of the rent each month. I was reasonably happy with that as they found me an excellent tenant. I'm not confident this guy would do the same.

As has already been said, the 10% is probably only collecting rent, answering tenants queries and arranging maintenance. You will probably still have to find £1000 if the boiler packs up!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
          by ringzer
          I'm afraid I just coughed up the renewal fees. I did howver negotiate a further reduction in renewal fees. I had signed up to 7% + VAT for the first letting and 6% + VAT for renewals to reduce 1% each year.

However having spoken with other agents, a 2% step down and for only 1 renewal was...
          24-02-2020, 09:54 AM
        • Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
          by ringzer
          Hi,

I have been renting a 1 bedroom property in London for the last 14 years which has been pretty successful. For the first number of years I rented it myself (I had one guy in there for 5 years whch was great) but in the last 4-5 years I have been using agents. When using an agent the...
          21-01-2020, 23:32 PM
        • Reply to Any way out of Landlord renewal fees?
          by Mbl
          Hi

i am curious to know how you resolved the issue. Did you get legal advice? I am in the same boat with a London agency looking for £1900 for a renewal which required little or no work on their behalf....
          23-02-2020, 09:58 AM
        • Letting agent deduction of rent from deposit
          by marymcgon
          I have recently moved out of a rented property. The tenancy renewed on June 10th last year, however in October I informed the letting agent that we would like to leave the property by February 10th due to a change in circumstances. They agreed that this was fine and we paid £595 for a re-advertising...
          20-02-2020, 16:59 PM
        • Reply to Letting agent deduction of rent from deposit
          by AndrewDod
          Well it sounds as if there was a semi-negotiation of sorts. These sorts of things really should be in writing, agreed, and accompanied by a deed of surrender. However since you have defaulted on about 4 months of an agreement, you are not in a great position to argue the exact details of that default...
          20-02-2020, 21:07 PM
          by marymcgon
          Yes - the tenancy runs from June 10th to June 10th. There was no negotiation process - they just asked for re-advertising fee. The move in date for the other tenants kept changing - despite their paperwork being completed by 31st January...
          20-02-2020, 20:52 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Presumably your tenancy started on the 10th of a month?
          When was the end of the fixed period following the 10th of June renewal?

In other words was this part of a negotiation to end the tenancy during a fixed period, i.e. in breach of an agreement? - in which case anything goes -...
          20-02-2020, 20:42 PM
        • Reply to Do i have an exit?
          by Sydaton
          Looks to me as though you read it correctly and you have no further liability after leaving after you give 2 months notice
          14-02-2020, 06:48 AM
        • Do i have an exit?
          by Jacksy
          Hi all
          Need some advice and clarification please.

I signed up to 36 month tenancy last year.

I got an email from the agent in January 2020 asking if i wish to resign for 6 months or 12 months.

However, i wish to leave the premises due to myself and my partner...
          13-02-2020, 13:16 PM
        • Reply to Do i have an exit?
          by Jacksy
          My main concern was they said we had to stay the full 36 months. Then they emailed asking us to sign on again for 6 or 12 months.

Then i saw the clause and i thought hang on that means we can give two month written notice.. i just wasn't sure if i was reading it correctly.
          13-02-2020, 13:57 PM
        Working...
        X