Can I sue the credit referencing agency or estate agent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Have you started court action against the tenant?

Leave a comment:

• qcyshh
    replied
    Thanks all.

I didn't sign the contract with credit referencing agency. It's part of package with EA. EA's contract says if the reference is acceptable and I renegate the tenancy offer, I pay for all the referencing and admin.

EA presented 2y tenancy as a good steady stream of rent, negotiating a low rent and asked me to hold the flat vacant for a month.

I certainly feel somewhere is unfair/wrong. But I don't know whether I can legally claim anything against the credit referencing agency or estate agent.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    There are quite a few ways to credit reference tenants from outside the UK.

This company advertises on Landlordzone;

http://www.tenantverify.co.uk/intern...dit-checks.htm

Costs £47.50

It is also possible to take out rent guarantee and legal insurance, for the same cost as for a UK tenant.

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    Homelet's acceptable referencing, or any other referencing body cannot check all 196 countries for credit referencing, but only in the U.K.

Your tenant will have no credit references in U.K. if they do not initialy live in the U.K., and as above, they will not be able to refrence him in the U.S.A. unless you pay much, much more, even if it were possible to get a credit reference from the U.S.A.

They gave you the information that was available, and the ONLY information available to them and you. ( has a job, and is working ) - and that's all the refrerence you will get for a none British national.

It's not the agents fault that the person is not British, and have no means to check any of his U.S.A. credit history.
    You are on your own, sadly.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    You sue the tenant who owes you the money.

Rent not being paid & damage are, sadly, a common & expected business expense - if you can recover owed funds.

Leave a comment:

• Sad S
    replied
    Dig out your paperwork. Look at the contract between yourself and the firm who did the "referencing" to see what they contracted to do. Ditto the contract between yourself and the estate agent, (although it seems unlikely that you could hold them responsible if they were only introducing prospective tenants.)

What would be the damages you have suffered by this action?

What persuaded you to offer a 24 month term?

Leave a comment:

• jjlandlord
    replied
    The referencing report should contain the information gathered and used. You made your decision based ont that, they are not liable.

Leave a comment:

• Can I sue the credit referencing agency or estate agent?

My tenant abandoned the flat after 4 month out of 24 month fixed tenancy, leaving me huge rents, commission and bills.

Being a naive first time landlord, I granted tenancy based on Homelet's acceptable referencing with no information on his credit history in the UK (He was reported to have good level of salary, be employed by a reputable firm and have a US landlord reference). He is a US national and most likely leaving for US now. I just discovered on the internet search he had a credit card fraud in the US (I know I should have done this before rather than this late)

Can I pursue Homelet or the introducing estate agent for any of the cost based on the credit fraud or possibly negligence?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X