Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real state agency bankruptcy, tenant's rights

Hi everyone,
    I'm a tenant of a property in London. A few weeks ago I found out my state agency went into bankruptcy, taking the last two months rent and didn't paid to my landlord.
    All this info came to me from a letter from another state agency, who asked me an interview to explain the situation and sign a new contract.
    The suspicious thing is that since then I have received another letter from another state agency saying exactly the same as the first one; since then an agent came directly to my place offering me another alternative; and since then I have received also mobile texts asking me to contact an agent to see new apartments.
    Tomorrow, the first agency I spoke about asked me to sign the new contract on behalf of the landlord with them. Should I sign the new contract or should I try to contact the landlord directly?
    Any help will be appreciate

The contract you have with the landlord remains valid. Any rent you paid to the landlords agent has 'legally' been paid to the landlord. His problem not yours.

Your contract is with the landlord (the agents - whoever they are) are employed by him. If you request his details in writing from the agency, they have to provide that data by law.

Comment

Thank you Snorkerz,
      After all these proposals from different State Agencies saying me exactly the same (they have been contacted by the landlord to take over...) I do not know exactly who to trust.
      Tomorrow I have to sign a new contract which states the same as I had, and to be honest I do not feel safe.

Comment

You do not HAVE to sign a new contract. How do you know the new agencies have been contracted by the landlord?

Comment

Thank you again for your reply.
          So, I have another doubt: is it possible that the property doesn't have any landlord at all and is just a property of the agency?

Comment

Who is shown as the landlord on your tenancy agreement?

Comment

Is a person's name, but the address is the Real state agency.
              I am thinking that the landlord could be the same agency who went into bankruptcy and now all the agencies around are aware of that and this is why they trying to take over.

Comment

I strongly suspect that your landlord is the 'real person'. If the agency had been the landlord and they are bankrupt then the 'official receiver'* would become your landlord until the property was sold, upon which the new owner becomes your landlord.

It may not be the OR, it may be the LPA or another 'official', I am not clear on the groups involved with bankruptcy.

Comment

Thank you so much Snorkerz for your comments,
                  I am going to talk with the agency who offered the new contract to be signed, and I am going to request them to speak with the landlord in person. For the moment I won't pay any of them until I know who's who

Comment

Very wise - but put your request in WRITING. If it is in writing they have to comply.
                    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70/section/1

Comment

AWESOME mate!!
                      Great job thanks a lot...

Comment

An estate agent / letting agent goes bust ( Estate Agent, not Real state agent )
                        And just by chance, another one contacts you. ( strange )

If it were me, I would want contact from the landlord to state HIS agent no longer exists, and he has placed the management with another, and to supply the name and address of replacement agent.

That way you know there is nothing fishy going on.

Comment

I'll try to contact the landlord tomorrow because I never met him. This is why I am going to the estate agency tomorrow before sign anything.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X