Letting Agent Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agent Problems

Hi I am seeking some advice regarding bad letting agent.
    I have two properties which I have recently taken on a letting agent to look after for me. There is a separate contract for each property. We recently had a tenant check out (sourced from previous Agent) I was very unhappy with the way my house was left after check out. Also at this meeting we discussed my other property as I was not happy in the way they handled a recent check in, as was the new tenant, sourced by agent. After a few communications with the new agent, all to no avail I requested a meeting at the property. After some time the agent pointed out the fact that I was obviously not happy with their service. His own words (later sent by email) Please let me know what else you need to decide whether you want to stay with us, as I get the impression you don't. As I said we wont hold you to the contract and would prefer for you to go than continue so evidently unhappy. In a later email, again his own words. Would you like me to send all relevant details to you so you no longer have to work with us? Now I have found another agent and have requested all relevant details sent to them. In the meantime the agent has sent me an invoice for their 10% of future rentals up until the penalty clause on the contract runs out. It would seem that they are of the opinion that they still manage the property that is let.
    When we originally discussed them taking on the management of my properties they forgot to mention the marketing fee of £120.00 + vat so they said that they would not charge it this time. On the invoice that they sent me there was a set up fee for £120.00 + vat. Just thinking are they really one and the same.
    Another point is , when I decided to take this company on I was out of the country (as in fact I am now) so they emailed the contracts over for me to fill in and send back to them. Saying that a scanned signature would be fine. At the time I didn't have a scanner, so I photographed my signature then attached it to word then attached it to the contracts. Just thinking what the legality of doing that is?
    I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
    Thanks in advance.
    jb1

If you have it in writing that they wouldn't hold you to the contract if you no longer required their services then that would be a pretty good defence if they were to sue you.

Any fees they are charging you should be as itemised on the contract - if they are not on the contract and you did not agree to them after the contract, then they will not be enforceable.

I would not place any store on the dodgy signature - you obviously agreed to the terms because you continued to work with them without disputing the terms.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The bit about the contract sounds reassuring. Point taken on the signature, one can only hope? As far as the Marketing/ set up is concerned will delve into that over the weekend.
      jb1

Comment

Hello I looked into the agreement and could find no mention of the term set up. So that also is looking good?
        One other thing that happened. The agency asked for a letter of termination of their services. So I prepared one stating that there services would cease on receipt of the letter and delivered it by hand on the 10th Sept on the 11 Sept they sent me an email confirming receipt of the latter. Also on the 11thSept I signed an agreement with the new agents.
        So now all that was left was for old agent to send the relative paperwork to the new agent. They took so long in doing this that the rent for 16 Sept to 15 Oct was paid into their bank which they took receipt of and informed me that they were taking it as money I owe them for loss of management fees plus I still owe them another £203.00.So once more my question is do you know of the legality of this.
        I would appreciate any feed back.
        Thanks
        jb1

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X