What am I paying the letting agent for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a copy of that, it would be in their office.

I would have to ask them for it.

Thanks

Comment

Well that is the contract that governs your relationship with the agent... I would want a copy.

Perhaps just say that you were checking your records and you don't seem to have a copy and subsequently request one.
      I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Have been contemplating on this thread.

I sincerely believe you are not ready to self manage your rental property. Your £83 per month may well be a blessing in disguise, a few wrong steps could make you much worse off...

Maybe convert back to Full Management instead of just rent collection if they cost the same?

Your lack of understanding of basic contracts to date does not bode well for getting Landlord and Tenant Law correct. I would contemplate getting more for your money from your agent whilst you spend some months getting up to speed, at least.
        I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

I agree with Plhlash.

(Despite the tie...)
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

It's a pity i have only now discovered this website. I was in the same position a few years ago, spending extortionate amount of money at some of the leading high street estate agents within London. But a little too late i discovered these high fees i paid to feel assured my properties were in good hands, were being neglected soon changed everything. I ended my agreement with them, with reasonable notice and i arranged the tenants to pay directly to me. That is all great but the other factors such as deposit schemes, constant emails with requests for maintenance,change of tenancies, mid term checks etc, it was a bit much..It was only until my colleague who had a property portfolio of his own suggested to get a smaller company who offer good work at a fraction of the prices you pay,it as worth checking out.
            I sifted through a few false claimers, but im happy with the company i found. the cover management, inventories, organise their maintenance teams to fix any issues and a bunch of other things my fingers cannot be bothered to type
            Perhaps take a look into that avenue, the company i hire work damn hard for their low rates, and i'm only charged when something needs doing.so far so good. If you get stuck get intouch and i can share their contact details.

Comment

My tenants moving out, so I now have the chance of going with another agency.

I think I'm going to use UPad.

Comment

Originally posted by midiman View Post
                My tenants moving out, so I now have the chance of going with another agency.

I think I'm going to use UPad.
                Yes...............................and?
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hi. We have just used Upad, very pleased with service. There are cheaper and free online agents available - free to the landlord and I assume they charge the prospective tenant.

What I like about Upad is you can pay for extras like inventories, etc, so you have flexibility to do some things yourself.

Here is a list of everything you need to do to prepare for a new letting. I'm sure I've missed a few things!

decide on rent/deposit/furniture/available dates

update building insurance to unoccupied if needed

EPC cert
                  gas safety test
                  electrical tests

take photographs

advertising, using Upad or other

viewings

decide on type of tenant, eg housing benefit/pets or not

credit checks/referencing

inventory

photographs

write tenancy agreement

give bank account detail to tenants

cut keys and consider changing locks

Moving in:
                  agree inventory/agree tenancy agreement

change over of gas/electric/water/council tax

take photos of meters

protect deposit and give prescribed information

update insurance policy if needed

Comment

Thanks Isabella.

Updad are still not cheap.

I don't need the full letting package.

What I want from them is to help me with my AST and deal with all the deposit and money handling.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Cancelling letting agent contact
                      Bonniepurple
                      Deleted - posted in error
                      17-01-2018, 18:30 PM
                    • Am I locked in to agency fees?
                      SaurfLondonLad
                      I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
                      15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
                    • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
                      jpkeates
                      Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
                      16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
                      ash72
                      I'm sure a large lettings agency like foxton's doesn't want bad publicity and will be happy with a negotiated pay off, I would just stress that they are virtually doing nothing, only collecting the rent, which if it is a S/O then it's simple. Just out of interest if they are charging you 12% for not...
                      15-01-2018, 23:00 PM
                      SaurfLondonLad
                      Thanks Ash, at present they collect the rent but I hope to do all myself, I will talk to the agency but signs are they will not budge. I have also considered terminating and new contracting the tenants, but under law surely they are still residing. I think the terms of the contract are unfair but given...
                      15-01-2018, 22:13 PM
                      ash72
                      My advice is that if you talk with the agency and try to get out the contract or you pay them off at a mutually agreed amount (to compensate them, unfortunately).

Do they only offer you the service of collecting the rent each month? Are they the ones who hold the deposit as well, or did...
                      15-01-2018, 21:45 PM
                      RedHitman
                      You self manage a property but also have an agent?
                      If you’re managing the property, what is the agency doing?
                      15-01-2018, 21:37 PM
                    • Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
                      flyer22
                      Hi all, my first post here, although I have been a Landlord for 5 years, I need some advice from more seasoned landlords.
                      The last tenant moved in 6 months ago and not paid rent since. Apart from the deposit and first month rent, no money received. The property is fully managed by the LA who also...
                      14-01-2018, 22:43 PM
                    • Reply to Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
                      jpkeates
                      You need to complain and go through the complete process (and get an unsatisfactory result) before the TPO will get involved.

The letting agent is not correct about the Data Protection Act meaning that they can't give you the tenant's data.
                      Refer them to the Information Commissioner's...
                      15-01-2018, 14:19 PM
                    • Reply to Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
                      flyer22
                      Thanks for your responses guys. First, sacking the agent is without a doubt. I am not renting the property and I decided to put it on the market for sale, yes it was the tipping point for me. I won't let their sales anywhere near selling the property either.
                      I would be entitled to all of the deposit,...
                      15-01-2018, 13:37 PM
                    Working...
                    X