Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

undisclosed principal

Hello,
    I am a tenant and rented a flat today, but I have real doubt about some Information,
    The reason is that there is not a Landlords name on the contract, but instead the is a Company name(***** Ltd)and no adress
    Then I got the Landlords agent and there also there is no name but instead a Letting agent(***** Lettings) whith the adress
    Then I got my name as a tenant.

My agent told me that the landlord pays him(the agent) therefore he is responsible for everything, even the payments. He acts basiclly as a Landlord or represents him.
    I didn't understand that bit, as it is the first time i hear about it. So I researched, and appearently my agent is a ''undisclosed principal''

But If I dont have the agents name, but only his adress and company name.
    And no real landlords name also.
    Who do I sue if there is any problem?
    And to be a undisclosed principal what are the conditions?

My second question is, when is the first payement for rent starting? After I spend my first night in the flat or from the Day I sign the tenancy contract(Whith a term of 6 month commencing on the same day date)?

Thank you very much for your answers

You can check who the legal owner of the property is at

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

The charge is £4.00 but may be worth it for peace of mind. A limited company can own a property and if so must give you the registered address for service and you can sue the company if things go wrong.

Point 2. Your rent will start from the agreed date on the tenancy. Once you have possession it is up to you when you move in.

Comment

Your agent is your landlord.
      The property owner is irrelevant.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by kounta View Post
        The reason is that there is not a Landlords name on the contract, but instead the is a Company name(***** Ltd)and no adress
        So your landlord is that company.
        A landlord need not be a person.

Comment

Thank you so much all, I now understood everything, God bless you all.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Am I locked in to agency fees?
            SaurfLondonLad
            I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
            15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
          • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
            jpkeates
            Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
            16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
            ash72
            I'm sure a large lettings agency like foxton's doesn't want bad publicity and will be happy with a negotiated pay off, I would just stress that they are virtually doing nothing, only collecting the rent, which if it is a S/O then it's simple. Just out of interest if they are charging you 12% for not...
            15-01-2018, 23:00 PM
            SaurfLondonLad
            Thanks Ash, at present they collect the rent but I hope to do all myself, I will talk to the agency but signs are they will not budge. I have also considered terminating and new contracting the tenants, but under law surely they are still residing. I think the terms of the contract are unfair but given...
            15-01-2018, 22:13 PM
            ash72
            My advice is that if you talk with the agency and try to get out the contract or you pay them off at a mutually agreed amount (to compensate them, unfortunately).

Do they only offer you the service of collecting the rent each month? Are they the ones who hold the deposit as well, or did...
            15-01-2018, 21:45 PM
            RedHitman
            You self manage a property but also have an agent?
            If you’re managing the property, what is the agency doing?
            15-01-2018, 21:37 PM
          • Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
            flyer22
            Hi all, my first post here, although I have been a Landlord for 5 years, I need some advice from more seasoned landlords.
            The last tenant moved in 6 months ago and not paid rent since. Apart from the deposit and first month rent, no money received. The property is fully managed by the LA who also...
            14-01-2018, 22:43 PM
          • Reply to Letting agent unhelpful in getting unpaid rent
            jpkeates
            You need to complain and go through the complete process (and get an unsatisfactory result) before the TPO will get involved.

The letting agent is not correct about the Data Protection Act meaning that they can't give you the tenant's data.
            Refer them to the Information Commissioner's...
            15-01-2018, 14:19 PM
            flyer22
            Thanks for your responses guys. First, sacking the agent is without a doubt. I am not renting the property and I decided to put it on the market for sale, yes it was the tipping point for me. I won't let their sales anywhere near selling the property either.
            I would be entitled to all of the deposit,...
            15-01-2018, 13:37 PM
            theartfullodger
            And start letting agent redress scheme complaint process:
            https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...edress_schemes
            Which requires you to go through the letting agent's complaints process 1st.

Can I just check, this is not some "guaranteed Rent" scheme/scam is it?...
            15-01-2018, 11:22 AM
          Working...
          X