X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Question?

Hey Guys

My name is Sebastian and I am currently doing research on making
    Estate Agency (especially lettings) more fun, productive and profitable.

As a Lettings Agent what are the biggest problems you face on a day-to-day basis?

I am not going to try and sell you anything, I would just like to learn
    about the pain points you experience in your profession.

I would love you to reply to this thread, even if it is only one sentence!

Thanks Guys

I don't see the connection between estate agency/lettings and 'fun' or even 'more fun'.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

The vast majority of estate and letting agencies will always be run by salesmen rather than Professionals. Having a current, competent and relevant level of knowledge and training will always come a very distant second to having clean shoes and a smile.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

If I were a letting agent (which I'm not, but I can imagine it as - unlike many letting agents -I have an imagination), my main problem would be persuading landlords like me that letting agents are do not all suffer from The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome.

I hope you take my meaning.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
          I don't see the connection between estate agency/lettings and 'fun' or even 'more fun'.
          I believe you should enjoy your job and many estate agents do get a buzz from making deals and money. What I am trying to get at is painful problems you experience on a regular basis as a lettings agent

what is your most painful problem?

Comment

Do you mean you feel they are too focused on looking good instead of doing their job effectively?

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian2013 View Post
              I believe you should enjoy your job and many estate agents do get a buzz from making deals and money. What I am trying to get at is painful problems you experience on a regular basis as a lettings agent
              what
              is your most painful problem?
              My left foot - I 've got arthritis in it I think - and it is not from wearing Manolo Blahniks to viewings.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I am an agent Sebastian but, but oddly enough I don't fit the descriptions you've been given in previous responses, perhaps I'm unique.

Biggest pain in an agents life? Tenants and landlords with unreasonable expectations. Like tenants who expect you to answer the telephone at 4am because they've just noticed that the landing light flickers when they turn it on, or landlords who rant at you because you've just had to tell them that their 20yr old boiler has just been condemned so it must be the tenants/agents/engineers fault, or the landlord who gets on the telephone to complain that his rent is a day late but won't return your calls for days on end when you need authority to carry out a repair. Or tenants who want to look at a property at 8pm on a sunday evening and then complain because my 'lazy' 70 hour working week doesn't suit them when I say no.

If you can find a solution to that, you can have my business.
                My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Hey Oaktree thanks for your detailed response

So am I to understand that you do not enjoy your job? can I ask why?

Is it because of the Tenants and landlords with unreasonable expectations?

Obviously you are very experienced so can I ask who tends to give you the most grief tenants or landlords?

I would like to reiterate that I am not and will not be trying to sell anything to anyone on here

Comment

You sound unbearably jolly and upbeat to me.

I cannot believe you are really a letting agent.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I'm happy MTG...
                      I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian2013 View Post
                        Hey Oaktree thanks for your detailed response

So am I to understand that you do not enjoy your job? can I ask why?

Is it because of the Tenants and landlords with unreasonable expectations?

Obviously you are very experienced so can I ask who tends to give you the most grief tenants or landlords?

I would like to reiterate that I am not and will not be trying to sell anything to anyone on here
                        I enjoy my job immensely, but like most jobs it has its high points and its low points.

Landlords and tenants give agents an equal amount of grief when they feel like it although I have to say that landlords are more likely to tell you when they are pleased with what you do whereas most tenants have what I call a 'council tenant mentality' when they expect everything to be done for them simply because its a rented property.

Much of it could be resolved if only they would read their tenancy agreements, agency agreements and the various other leaflets and advisorys that we make available to them which explains our services in great detail. It seems no amount of persuading, cajoling or even begging will get a tenant to read a tenancy agreement all the way through though, much less try to understand it.
                        My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Perhaps the tenants (and you) are forgetting that you do not actually work for the tenant, but for the LL.

Comment

There are a number of agents out there who do forget who their working for because they may have more contact with the tenant.

One agency I took over the owner used to go out drinking with some of the tenants and was friends with most of the tenants on facebook.

Comment

As I have worked in this industry for over 20 years I can confidently say that I know exactly who I work for and haven't forgotten - I may be old but I'm not senile!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Agent asking for funds prior to sign the contract
                                JustIgnore
                                Good afternoon.

I am in a bit of confusion at the moment in dealing with an agent, I hope you guys can help.

I have found a property to rent and we are very interested in renting it.
                                The advertised move in date is somewhere end of August, an exact date has not been given...
                                19-08-2017, 12:59 PM
                              • Reply to Agent asking for funds prior to sign the contract
                                Stef Cooke
                                MMMmmmm! Not sure I said they were! Nope, positive you just made an assumption / applied a red herring.

Your opinion... I need evidence! Oh, OK Maybe you do have a point.

Again, opinion. As much as you think there is no good reason FOR it, there is no good reason for an...
                                21-08-2017, 12:44 PM
                                jjlandlord
                                Signing the AST and releasing the keys are not the same thing.

Most agents are poor, that's no news.

It is perfectly normal to require all monies to have been paid and cleared before releasing the keys. But there is really no good reason to require the same before signing the...
                                21-08-2017, 11:45 AM
                                Stef Cooke
                                Really? All of the agents and LLs I work for ask for monies up front and do not get ASTs signed, or release keys, prior to funds having cleared.

I accept my 'reason' may be flawed... I am not an agent or a LL, but the reality still is that monies (some or all) are cleared prior to ASTs...
                                21-08-2017, 09:56 AM
                                jjlandlord
                                It is not uncommon but this should not be: You should set up the contract first.

I also got as 'reason' what is mentioned in the previous comment, namely that you have to pay first because of the wording of the contract... This simply either mean that they are clueless or have a badly drafted...
                                19-08-2017, 17:52 PM
                                Stef Cooke
                                Yes. As a clerk I am occasionally called off a job because funds have not cleared.

If you think about it that contract will contain information about the monies you will pay, deposit etc. If you have not already paid then the contract is incorrect. So you pay, then, when it has cleared,...
                                19-08-2017, 13:47 PM
                              • Looking for a new letting agent
                                12GuageLandlord
                                Hello,

I am new to this forum and to the private rental market. Having just gone through a fairly turbulent contract renewal I have lost all patience with my management agent and have decided I want to move away from them as every communication from them creates more work for me putting...
                                10-08-2017, 21:35 PM
                              • Reply to Looking for a new letting agent
                                tatemono
                                this is exactly why I recommended it as a question to ask. You should know that the agent works for you on your terms and so if this isn't something you want and the LA insists on it and has hefty fees, you can walk away. You can play ignorant and see if they try to pull the wool over your eyes by saying...
                                14-08-2017, 21:15 PM
                              • Reply to Looking for a new letting agent
                                jjlandlord
                                Landlords should also know that in such case whatever fee the tenant paid to the agent belongs to them....
                                14-08-2017, 10:41 AM
                              Working...
                              X