Cowboy LA document Marketing&Fees Agreement?no seen it before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy LA document Marketing&Fees Agreement?no seen it before

Hi everyone, I've called an LA to find a tenant and as he checked the property for 10-15 mins, he agreed to market it. Due to time constraint,he asked me to sign this document, without explaining the contents, but I assumed that theinstructions to market the property, as per normal process.I've advised that he's not sole agent. It turns out now that i've checked the document that I've signed was the Marketing and Fees Agreement and one of clauses, requires the LL (me) to pay 10% introductory fee if a tenant is introduced, subject to a minimum fee of £700 plus VAT. I was not explained such complications, such fee payable in advance???
    They've informed me that found a tenant but far less that my required rent. Never seen such ghost tenants, no references disclosed, neither met their ghost tenant! As i was made aware of their bad reputation from other landlords, i've refused to sign the contract as need to see references, tenants,etc as it's my right to decide over the someone's right to live in my property. I've requested guarantors, they said we can guarantee via their insurance. I've informed them toreturn the keys as no longer want them let my prop.
    They threatenned me with the above-mentioned fee of 10% plus VAT. I need some legal advise where do I stand as no income, no money seen whatsoever.
    Your help is much appreciated!

It's not a tenant, it can only be a potential tenant at this moment.

Go back to finding your own tenant make sure you do not let to this particular one, although it sounds like you don't even know his name.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

I think you can probably extricate yourself from this on the grounds that you had the document shoved under your nose and were asked to sign it without time to read it and take proper legal advice. Just tell them you have changed your mind, the supposed 'tenant' they found you was not at the rent you were asking, you have no proof this T even exists and in any case the way they got your signature was unacceptable. So, if they wish to sue you, they should go ahead. (I am virtually certain they won't).
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

You signed a contract without reading it and now want to break that contact. No point in lecturing you that what you did was wrong.

I'd presume the contract is unenforceable but since you signed it they may try... I have my doubts they would be willing to go to court.

Despite the above - If the Agent, is not doing a good job to YOUR STANDARDS then go find a better one. You employ them to work on your behalf.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Agent vs Open Rent
          by Beswick
          I've used it twice, no complaints from me. However, I haven't used it since 2019 so things might have changed.

From memory, when the prospective tenant clicks the 'Rent Now' button, you have to click to accept them as a tenant to start the process.

Both times, when I told...
          29-06-2022, 11:51 AM
        • Agent vs Open Rent
          by annam222
          Hello all,
          I wondered if anyone could give me some advice please.
          Tenants who have been renting my one bed flat for the past three years have just given notice that they will be moving out. I have used a local agent on a ‘let & rent collection’ basis which has worked well but they...
          20-06-2022, 20:07 PM
          by annam222
          Has anyone used the ‘rent now’ package and find it good? Can’t decide whether I should do this package or just advertising (ultimate) then pay for everything else on top after finding tenants I am happy with.
          29-06-2022, 07:22 AM
          by annam222
          boletus Thank you, that is what I am
          a little worried about- the flat is in London so expect there could be a lot of interest but possibly a high majority of them not be the tenants I am looking for.
          I would prefer to take my time talking to potential tenants and arranging viewings rather...
          28-06-2022, 20:28 PM
          by boletus
          I wouldn't use 'Rent Now'.

If I advertise a property today I'll get over 50 enquiries, the majority will be unsuitable.
          Most of those will want to rent now.
          Many will offer to rent sight unseen.
          Some will offer 6 month's rent upfront sight unseen.

Advertising...
          28-06-2022, 09:55 AM
          by annam222
          Thank you everyone so much. I have the advert ready to go live but will wait until Thursday/Friday to publish it. I am keen to use Open Rent for referencing but as suggested will also follow up each myself. Does anyone have a view on whether the Open Rent £29 'Ultimate Advertising' or £49 'Rent Now'...
          27-06-2022, 20:09 PM
        • Reply to Newbie needing serious advice!
          by Lawcruncher
          Conveyancers fall into two broad categories:

Good ones

Not so good ones

Those in either category can be solicitors, licensed conveyancers or chartered legal executives. Each of those do roughly the same amount of training and have studied the law needed...
          27-06-2022, 19:14 PM
        • Newbie needing serious advice!
          by steeveyboy64
          Hi All. I am very new to all of this and need some guidance. I am at the point where I am about to purchase a holiday letting chalet in Lincolnshire. Unfortunately the banana skin has been delivered in that the 3rd party solicitors are indicating that I can NOT use a 3rd party agent platform to advertised...
          26-06-2022, 14:15 PM
          by SouthernDave
          Lawcruncher gives good advice.
          interesting question, is your ‘solicitor’ actually a solicitor? Or are they some rubbish high street conveyancer?...
          27-06-2022, 18:11 PM
          by nukecad
          "No 3rd party letting agenrs approved" is not the same thing as 'no 3rd party agents allowed'.

So it depends on what you sign up to.whether you can use an "unapproved" 3rd party letting service or not.
          27-06-2022, 17:09 PM
        Working...
        X