LA has not protected numerous deposits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LA has not protected numerous deposits

After spending many weeks looking through the forum for answers, whilst i was waiting for a response from the LA, i have struggled to find an answer to my situation.

I used a letting agent 6 months ago for 2 properties i have. I went on a full management for both propeties and at the same time rented a property from the same agent (property came up in area we love but couldnt afford a mortgage for it at the time).

Following a few disputes at length of time to sort problems out we decided to manage the properties ourselves and duely notified the agent. 6 weeks ago i asked for the information of the deposits for the 2 properties he was managing but was fobbed off my the sales girl that the director was away and had the information.

To cut a long story short, we are now 3 formal letters into our requests, 3 phone calls and still no information.

I have in the meantime phoned each deposit protection scheme and they have no record of the 2 deposits taken from my tenants and neither the deposit given by us to rent the property we are in.

I fear the LA has the deposits and with him giving us no information for 6 weeks, he isnt going to give the money back.

I am completely unsure of the following-

Who will the tenants look to when they move out for the deposit, us or the LA (has he has failed to give us the information)

Who do i look to for my deposit when i move out (as the proeprty we rent is also on full management)

After serving 3 letters, where do i go now as speaking to him gets me no where

It was our own fault for not understanding how the deposit scheme works and that he should have provided information at the start of all tenancies but we trusted him and were paying for a service of not worrying about items like this (we accept we were naive)

Im concerned that the tenants will come looking for us (£450 & £550 deposits) and that we will have to find our landlord (£675 deposit)

Any help would be much appreciated as i want to act on this asap.

It also concerns me he has done this with every client and therefore could have £ thousands of pounds unprotected.

Originally posted by staff81 View Post

I am completely unsure of the following-

Who will the tenants look to when they move out for the deposit, us or the LA (has he has failed to give us the information)
    You. But your T may also claim for deposit non-compliance against the LA (assuming he received the deposits), so you're both in the firing line in that respect.

Who do i look to for my deposit when i move out (as the proeprty we rent is also on full management)
    Same deal. Your LL is liable for returning your deposit; you've also got the choice, if you pursue a non-compliance claim, of claiming against LL or agent or both.

After serving 3 letters, where do i go now as speaking to him gets me no where
    Is the agent a member of ARLA or any other professional body?

Comment

You and the agent are jointly liable to your tenants.
      Your landlord and the agent are jointly liable to you as tenants for your deposit.

If deposits are not protected, you can not serve section 21 notices until the deposits are returned in full.
      Even doing that will not protect you from a potential civil penalty of up to 3 x the deposit value.

Such a claim is unlikely to happen because the costs of bringing such a claim (which should be heard in the 'multitrack', not 'small claims') are prohibitive, but, if it does happen, there is an extremely high chance that those costs would be awarded against you.

Obviously, if you suffered financial loss as a result of the agents actions, you would launch a claim against him too.

Comment

The website states the following-

Property Ombudsman Scheme (sales), scheme number E448

but doesnt say anything else.

Could i be claimed against for non compliance or is that just the LA.

Im unsure if small claims is the route to take.

Comment

Just a thought, what if the LA liquidated the company, would we have anywhere to go (it is a LTD company)

Comment

Post 4 - yes you could be claimed against, you are liable for your agents actions.
            Post 5 - if liquidated, the assets would be divided as appropriate then the company no longer exists, so no one to sue. In certain circumstances it is possible to hold directors liable for the debts of the company -but that is not an easy battle (one I have lost before).

Check your contract with the agent - does it specifically state on the contract that the agency are a limited company?

Comment

Originally posted by staff81 View Post
              Could i be claimed against for non compliance or is that just the LA.
              See post #2.

Im unsure if small claims is the route to take.
              For what?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Newbie needing serious advice!
                by steeveyboy64
                Hi All. I am very new to all of this and need some guidance. I am at the point where I am about to purchase a holiday letting chalet in Lincolnshire. Unfortunately the banana skin has been delivered in that the 3rd party solicitors are indicating that I can NOT use a 3rd party agent platform to advertised...
                26-06-2022, 14:15 PM
              • Reply to Newbie needing serious advice!
                by Lawcruncher
                Presumably your solicitor has read the documentation. What does he say?
                26-06-2022, 21:00 PM
              • Reply to Newbie needing serious advice!
                by Sydaton
                If you think they're, "greedy jackals" then why would you want to enter in an investment where your return is linked to their actions?

Also if you know that a customer can go to directholidays and get a chalet for £377, why do you think you can get £600?
                26-06-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Reply to Agent vs Open Rent
                by gnvqsos
                You can do this yourself. Referencing is a risky thing to delegate.If the process fails it is the landlord who suffers, and the other party has the fees I would do my own requesting at lest evidence about
                1.job and pay
                2.rent payments historically, and conduct
                3.redacted bank statements...
                26-06-2022, 05:35 AM
              • Agent vs Open Rent
                by annam222
                Hello all,
                I wondered if anyone could give me some advice please.
                Tenants who have been renting my one bed flat for the past three years have just given notice that they will be moving out. I have used a local agent on a ‘let & rent collection’ basis which has worked well but they...
                20-06-2022, 20:07 PM
                by Turbine Terry
                If you use the Openrent full tenancy creation service (£49 + referencing) they automatically serve the How to Rent guide and all prescribed information for you and protect the deposit, all done by the software (no human to mess it up) and by email and all parties are copied in for proof of service...
                22-06-2022, 11:16 AM
                by boletus
                I'm not. Other online letting agents are available....
                22-06-2022, 09:52 AM
                by Beswick
                Their process is about as simple as they could possibly make it. If you're logging into this forum and posting, it won't be a huge stretch of your abilities to get your property listed on OpenRent.

Yes, I used their referencing service (£20 per person, plus £20 for any guarantor). I...
                22-06-2022, 08:19 AM
                by Turbine Terry
                I am a huge fan of Openrent. There are lots of threads showing users experiences of Openrent on these forums. If you type Openrent into the search box at the top of the page on the main forum home page you will see them.

If you decide not to use Openrent, and so use a traditional agent,...
                22-06-2022, 08:08 AM
                by annam222
                Berwick thank you that’s so helpful! I will definitely do the inventory and great idea on printing and signing the Tenancy Agreement together- I shall do that too.
                Does the Open Rent site guide you through the steps of the process? I.e. advertise, meet/accept, reference etc?
                Did you use...
                22-06-2022, 07:46 AM
              Working...
              X