Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safey Regulations etc.

Hello,

I have started up a letting agency in my area and am asking advice on the Gas Safety Regulations, Electrical Safety Regulations, Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations and Energy Performance Certificate.

As an agent, on a property I am fully managing, do agents also deal with all the checks and regulations? I am mainly concerned about the furniture and furnishings fire safety regulations as this seems like it could be a very long and difficult process to check all the furniture and furnishings.

How does this work? Is it all on the head of the landlord or the agent? If on the agent, how strict should I be on demanding all the certificates of electric, gas, furniture and energy as I understand the consequences can be fatal if any of these aren't safe.

Any advice on these regulations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Richard

Richard, I take it you understood the forum rules about as well as you read and understood the relevant legislation before starting your business?

Comment

Forum Rules? No I have not read them. I currently have no properties or tenants so I am doing my research. I just need to get my head round all the regulations and safetey details.

Comment

Okay, I'll try and be gentle.

Do you really think it is fair that you propose to charge landlords to manage their properties when you don't know these really important issues? To add to the fact that you intend to charge people like us, you then come on here to see if you can obtain that information from landlords free of charge. You have to see the irony, surely?

I'll answer your questions though - Furniture, yes I think you have to check that it all complies - the legislation states that it is an offence to supply non-compliant furniture.

Non-HMOs have no legal obligation to have electrical certificates, though if you want to establish yourself as a quality and reliable agent then it would perhaps be worth including that obligation in your T&Cs

You can't market a property that doesn't have an Energy Performance Certificate - are you aware of the new rules?

Come to think of it are you aware of the new rules on deposits which came into effect yesterday?

Gas certificate is a legal requirement, I certainly wouldn't dare marketing a property without one.

If I may say so, your website (DIY?) does not inspire confidence with its spelling mistakes and it fails to comply with some of its legal obligations.

Comment

I appreciate you taking your time to reply. I am aware of the gas and electric regulations and still need to reseach the others.

As I have said in my previous posts, I am still leaning about it. I don't see the reason for you trying to refrain from ripping me apart simply because I have asked for advice and again, am still reseaching. Surely landlords, like yourself would feel more comfortable knowing their agent knows all the rules and regulations.

As for the website, I am fully aware of its condition and it is not advertsed so the website will be read through after. Although it fails to comply with legal obligations?

As far as I'm concerned, everyone has to start somewhere and this is where I'm starting.

Again I appreciate your reply, I just don't see the need to say "ill try to be gentle"

Comment

You cannot learn to be a letting agent and do the job correctly from a forum.

Comment

You really need to learn the trade for a number of years before you set out on your own. Just because there is no legal requirement for qualifications or experience doesn't mean that they are not absolutely essential.

You do not appear have the skills required to offer the service that you advertise, that could be considered a little misleading. Here is an example, if I, as a landlord, were to let my property through your fully managed service, and then the tenant sub-let the property, how would you advise me to legally regain my property? I don't expect you to answer the question, it is just an example - but I'll give you a clue - the prhases 'section 21' or 'section 8' do not feature in the answer.

You are advertising your business so it is not inconceivable that people will view the website (like I did). Therefore it has to be right. The Companies Act 2006 requires you (even as a sole trader) to display the name of the owner and your contact details (not a PO Box) at any place you do business, and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills regard a website as a place of business. Although your contact details in BN23 are publiclly available, a potential customer should not be obliged to search for it.

Comment

Originally posted by LifestyleRental View Post
                Surely landlords, like yourself would feel more comfortable knowing their agent knows all the rules and regulations.
                We gave up hoping for that some time ago, tbh. And although you are breaching forum rules by advertising your business in your username, at least we now know it and can avoid employing you with your current rather woeful skill set.

To say Snorkerz 'ripped you apart' is a huge exaggeration, btw. I thought he was extraordinarily restrained, in the circumstances!
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by LifestyleRental View Post
                  I don't see the reason for you trying to refrain from ripping me apart
                  You'd rather I didn't try?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help with this agent
                    robbie31
                    My wife and I are expats who have been renting our property through an agent for 5 years. We currently own a four bedroom property (for bedrooms including a loft extensions) In October 2016, the previous tenants move out and the current occupants moved in. We were sent the documents with a recommendation...
                    13-07-2017, 12:03 PM
                  • Reply to Help with this agent
                    tatemono
                    You paid 10% of what on top of a management fee?

What does your contract say about this? If the contract makes no mention of a "get out" fee then it will cost you nothing to dispense with their services.

Is there a notice period for cancelling the contract with the...
                    16-07-2017, 09:29 AM
                    MrShed
                    That would depend wholly on the terms of your contract with the agent. There's no "standard" procedure I'm afraid....
                    16-07-2017, 06:19 AM
                    robbie31
                    Good afternoon

Thank you for your excellent advice. I meant about compensating the agent. This is the question in a better way. At the beginning of the tenancy we paid 10% for a finders fee / advertising / searches etc as well as a management fee taken from the rent. If we decide to cancel...
                    16-07-2017, 03:26 AM
                    MrShed
                    Sorry not sure your question makes a lot of sense. Why would you have to compensate tenants for you changing agent? Apologies if I am misreading this?
                    15-07-2017, 16:49 PM
                    robbie31
                    If we were to change the agent (the contract end on the 28th August) would be be tied and have to compensate the tenants until that date?...
                    15-07-2017, 07:30 AM
                    robbie31
                    Point made Mr Shed. Thanks for the upfront advice....
                    15-07-2017, 07:05 AM
                    MrShed
                    A few things here:

1) you explicitly said above the issue was distance. You can understand why I thought therefore the issue was distance.
                    2) the average compensation of the ombudsman is completely irrelevant. What matters is your specific case which could be over or under the average....
                    15-07-2017, 06:31 AM
                    robbie31
                    The issue is not really about distance. We are in a dilemma. My wife seems to think that if we make a complaint the agent can cancel our contract. This would mean finding a new agent and paying fees etc. Monies we do not have. We have spoken to the Ombudsman who informed us that we should have been...
                    14-07-2017, 23:58 PM
                    MrShed
                    I dont understand why distance makes an issue with you raising the behaviour of the agent with their professional body?
                    14-07-2017, 15:58 PM
                  Working...
                  X