a few referencing questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few referencing questions

Hi guys, I'm looking to reference check a prospective tenant. Can you please advise what the difference between referencing and credit checking is? Also what are the typical costs for both and what is recommended? My understanding is that the following makes a tenant reference:

1. Prvious landlord opinion
    2. Proof of employment, duration of current job and salary
    2. Last 3 months bank statements
    3. Last 3 months pay slips
    4. Credit check

Am I right with the above or way out? Please help

This is a duplicate post, and I appologise for that. I haven't had much luck in the other forum (scottish legal issues).

Referencing a tenant involves checking previous landlord, employment, residential status etc. Credit checking is just a check on their financial status on record, i.e. ccj, court orders etc. Neither is much good without the other.
    My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Thanks for that. Cleared that one right up

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Looking for a new letting agent
        12GuageLandlord
        Hello,

I am new to this forum and to the private rental market. Having just gone through a fairly turbulent contract renewal I have lost all patience with my management agent and have decided I want to move away from them as every communication from them creates more work for me putting...
        10-08-2017, 21:35 PM
      • Reply to Looking for a new letting agent
        tatemono
        this is exactly why I recommended it as a question to ask. You should know that the agent works for you on your terms and so if this isn't something you want and the LA insists on it and has hefty fees, you can walk away. You can play ignorant and see if they try to pull the wool over your eyes by saying...
        14-08-2017, 21:15 PM
        jjlandlord
        Landlords should also know that in such case whatever fee the tenant paid to the agent belongs to them....
        14-08-2017, 10:41 AM
        HantsAgent
        You are right, of course, but I know at least one major letting agency whose policy is to send a letter to the tenant with an ultimatum; "Renew, and pay us XXX, or expect your notice."

I guarantee that most of the landlords for whom they are acting don't know that this is the...
        14-08-2017, 10:36 AM
        jjlandlord
        Good idea to test them, but this is really not their decision and it is for the landlord to tell them what to do....
        14-08-2017, 09:44 AM
        tatemono
        prepare yourself a standard list of questions about issues that you know agents should be aware of and ask the same questions to each agent to allow you to compare responses. Questions such as
        1. How long from receiving the deposit should it be protected?
        2. When should I install a carbon monoxide detector?
        3. Do
        11-08-2017, 20:49 PM
        12GuageLandlord
        jpkeates Thanks for the heads up on that - I have looked at their terms of business and I will be removing them the Management of the property as they have made 7 errors in just over 7 months which is unacceptable especially as I am paying for the "Service" (areas of mistakes include communication,...
        11-08-2017, 13:46 PM
        jpkeates
        Check your agreement with the agent - they're usually hard to shift while a tenant they're found is in situ.
        11-08-2017, 11:58 AM
        HantsAgent
        There's not one place which will do this for you I'm afraid.

Allagents.co.uk is a review site for agents but it's completely unregulated, anyone can leave a review on there regardless of whether they've ever done any business with an agent or not. What you'll tend to find is that rival...
        11-08-2017, 11:15 AM
      • Lettings agent cancellation terms query
        malikha
        Dear forum

Apologies if this is a common question that gets posted here but I am new to this forum (only joined to try and answer my query and I couldn't find an answer to my specific question).

I have 1 rental property which is being managed by a lettings agent. I have a...
        27-09-2016, 14:58 PM
      Working...
      X