Check-in / check-out dilapidations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check-in / check-out dilapidations

I let my property through a "so called" reputable LA, registered with ARLA. The Tenant has just moved out and the check-out inventory shows there is damage and marks to walls, marks and cigarette burns to carpets, furniture and curtains. Wooden worktops are burned, marked and have stickers on them.

Questions:
    1. I am fully within my rights to have all these remedied and the funds taken from the Tenant's security deposit? If there's a shortfall do I have the right to ask for the extra funds from the Tenant?

The Property is non-smoking but the Tenant has obviously been smoking there so is in breach of the Tenancy Agreement.
    1. Should the LA have informed me of this breach before? They must have been aware of the Tenant's smoking if they inspected the Property.
    2. The two past six monthly inspections, the last one in January 2012, gave no indication of any wear, tear or damage. Do I have any claim agains the LA?

Any advice gratefully received.

By the way, my LA is in the UK and I live in Turkey

Thanks

At present, the deposit money belongs to the tenant.

If the tenant agrees you can have the dposit money, then you can have it. If not, you can either request arbitration via the deposit scheme (the tenant has no obligation to agree) or you can sue the tenant for any provable damages.

Do you have proof of the good condition of all the 'damaged' items at the start of th tenancy? You will only be able to claim for damage beyond 'fair wear and tear' (well you can claim for more but you won't get it )

With regard to the agents responsibility to you, you need to see the agency agreement and work out if they didn't do anything that they agreed to do. However, the ultimate responsibility for any provable damage lies with the tenant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Agent Delaying passing rent
      imlandlord
      Since the tenancy started, the rents had been delayed. It happened twice in last 5 months that 2 months’ rent had been withheld by Letting agent without providing any reasons of delay. The emails been exchanged with accounts department and lettings agent to get first 2 months’ rent and eventually...
      18-01-2018, 10:38 AM
    • Reply to Agent Delaying passing rent
      AndrewDod
      ** READ ** your contract with agent.

Unless there is some very strange clause, or the agent is in fact your tenant -- there is nothing stopping you from discharging an agent from acting as YOUR agent. Refusing to pay their fee on the basis of inadequate service is a harder step -- but you...
      18-01-2018, 16:39 PM
      imlandlord
      Hi AndrewDod,

Firstly thanks for your reply. This is what exactly I would have wanted. But are you sure I can do that or otherwise Tenant can do it?
      18-01-2018, 13:51 PM
      AndrewDod
      Contact tenant and instruct them (as you are entitled to do) to pay rent directly to you in future. Then pay your agent's fee out of that. If the agent attempts to obstruct the process then inform them that they are no longer acting for you in respect of the tenant, but that you will continue to pay...
      18-01-2018, 13:10 PM
      theartfullodger
      If your complaint reply is unsatisfactory take the matter to the letting agent redress scheme
      18-01-2018, 10:48 AM
    • Am I locked in to agency fees?
      SaurfLondonLad
      I am just coming to the end of my first year of being a LL on a property which I self manage. My tenants are great and I now wish to ditch my agent to save them and me money and collect the rent myself. The agent's contract does clearly state that fees are liable for as long as the tenant resides. This...
      15-01-2018, 20:02 PM
    • Reply to Am I locked in to agency fees?
      jpkeates
      Don't lie to the agent - they're not (that) stupid, and then you would owe them the fees if they claimed them.

I'd try and negotiate a deal - for most businesses a large chunk of income today is worth more than the promise of income month by month.

The agent's business model...
      16-01-2018, 09:24 AM
      ash72
      I'm sure a large lettings agency like foxton's doesn't want bad publicity and will be happy with a negotiated pay off, I would just stress that they are virtually doing nothing, only collecting the rent, which if it is a S/O then it's simple. Just out of interest if they are charging you 12% for not...
      15-01-2018, 23:00 PM
      SaurfLondonLad
      Thanks Ash, at present they collect the rent but I hope to do all myself, I will talk to the agency but signs are they will not budge. I have also considered terminating and new contracting the tenants, but under law surely they are still residing. I think the terms of the contract are unfair but given...
      15-01-2018, 22:13 PM
      ash72
      My advice is that if you talk with the agency and try to get out the contract or you pay them off at a mutually agreed amount (to compensate them, unfortunately).

Do they only offer you the service of collecting the rent each month? Are they the ones who hold the deposit as well, or did...
      15-01-2018, 21:45 PM
    Working...
    X