How do you find a (good!) letting agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you find a (good!) letting agent

I have been contacting various letting agents in the area where I want to rent out my house. They are answering my questions, but what I really need are landlords opinions on the good, and not so good agents. The area is West Suffolk / Norfolk, specifically Bury St. Edmunds, Newmarket, Mildenhall, Thetford (OK Newmarket is technically Cambridgeshire but it's often thought of as Suffolk!!)

Any Landlords with knowledge of these areas please post here, anomity guaranteed

I would try the ARLA website as a first stop, its not guaranteed but at least they will have shown willing to be regulated, so going with someone with Client Money Protection in place is a no brainer.

There are a lot of very good unregulated agents out there but there are an awful lot of bad ones too and most of the time you find out which they are until they owe you money!
    My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Look on the ARLA website and find out which agents are licensed in the area. Then go onto www.propertylive.co.uk and see which of those deal with the most properties and your type of property.

Talk/invite on valuation 2 or 3 of them and the one or ones you think you can work with, ask for clients of theirs that you can call. If in Hindhead, Liphook or Haslemere I would have advised Kelway Law!

Comment

Oaktree / Kelway - Thanks for that, I've seen ARLA mentioned but it never occured to me to check their web site, much obliged

Originally posted by oaktree View Post
        most of the time you find out which they are until they owe you money!
        Yes, that is what I want to avoid !!!

Comment

Although you tend not to get much in the way of 'recommendations' on here (against forum rules?), recommendation is by far the best route to finding a reliable and reputable agent. Maybe there is a 'landlords association' in your area who between them will have tried all the agents!

I was using an ARLA member, but I know that some of their 'practises' were dubious, and some of their advice was downright wrong. Not all ARLA members will be like that, but just be aware that whilst ARLA is better than nothing, it doesn't equate to a guarantee of a good agent.

Comment

Snorkez, thank you, as it happens one of the LA's I was talking too recently appears to not be an ARLA member, she was ticking all the boxes up to when I checked the ARLA website. As you say there is no substitute for independant, unbiased, recommendations, I am in no rush so I think I will do a bit of detective work and try to speak one to one with a few LL's in my area of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Losos View Post
              Snorkez, thank you, as it happens one of the LA's I was talking too recently appears to not be an ARLA member, she was ticking all the boxes up to when I checked the ARLA website. As you say there is no substitute for independant, unbiased, recommendations, I am in no rush so I think I will do a bit of detective work and try to speak one to one with a few LL's in my area of choice.
              From my recent experiences:

Ask if you will get to see the tenants full references and credit checks (un edited) before you accept the tenant. My favourite trick question is "I don't want it sub-letting - what would I/you do if that happens?" If the answer includes the phrase "section 21" or "section 8" then reconsider.

The reason for this is section 21 & secrion 8 only apply to assured (shorthold) tenancies. If your tenant doesn't live there, it can't be an AST.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                From my recent experiences:

Ask if you will get to see the tenants full references and credit checks (un edited) before you accept the tenant.
                Agent is not in a position to refuse to communicate the complete information he received. And obviously a landlord should not accept a tenant before he sees it.
                So clearly an agent replying negatively to this question is either incompetent or seriously dodgy...

Comment

Actually, having investigated this, the agent may not provide that info to the landlord without the tenants permission. If you have an agent who bothers to get such permission (tick box on application form) then it is easy for landlords to 'discriminate' against those who refuse to let the agent pass the info on.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public...landlords.aspx

and jjlandlord - it was you who provided me with that link!!!

Comment

Yes it was

However my (current) understanding is that this is a best practice to ensure the prospective tenant is fully aware of who has access to the info, and not a legal obligation, as there is no 'separation' between the landlord and his agent.

In any case, an agent should take necessary steps to ensure the landlord is provided with all the information he receives. If he does not that's a red flag.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                      If he does not that's a red flag.
                      I agree......

Comment

This is developing into an interesting thread, I'm taking notes

Comment

I see the site referred to above says this:

Can landlords see references which were provided to the letting agents?

The agent can pass this information to the landlord, as long as, when the reference is asked for, they make clear to the tenant and the referee that this will happen.

I should be interested to know how that is derived from the Data Protection Act.

Comment

Yes, LC. That's why we were discussing about asking for T's permission before sharing information with LL.

My (un-expert) understanding is that the agent and the landlord are basically one with respect to dealing with the tenant, so that there's no such requirement.
                            But it can be seen as a best practice to inform a prospective tenant about that.

Comment

jjlandlord - As you can see from my original question I am no expert either but it seems down right daft for the Data Protection Act to restrict Landlord from seeing references. However as you say there can be no harm in informing the tenant that both LA and LL will see the references. The world must have gone completely mad if the Data Protection laws prohibit that

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Looking for a new letting agent
                                12GuageLandlord
                                Hello,

I am new to this forum and to the private rental market. Having just gone through a fairly turbulent contract renewal I have lost all patience with my management agent and have decided I want to move away from them as every communication from them creates more work for me putting...
                                10-08-2017, 21:35 PM
                              • Reply to Looking for a new letting agent
                                tatemono
                                this is exactly why I recommended it as a question to ask. You should know that the agent works for you on your terms and so if this isn't something you want and the LA insists on it and has hefty fees, you can walk away. You can play ignorant and see if they try to pull the wool over your eyes by saying...
                                14-08-2017, 21:15 PM
                                jjlandlord
                                Landlords should also know that in such case whatever fee the tenant paid to the agent belongs to them....
                                14-08-2017, 10:41 AM
                                HantsAgent
                                You are right, of course, but I know at least one major letting agency whose policy is to send a letter to the tenant with an ultimatum; "Renew, and pay us XXX, or expect your notice."

I guarantee that most of the landlords for whom they are acting don't know that this is the...
                                14-08-2017, 10:36 AM
                                jjlandlord
                                Good idea to test them, but this is really not their decision and it is for the landlord to tell them what to do....
                                14-08-2017, 09:44 AM
                                tatemono
                                prepare yourself a standard list of questions about issues that you know agents should be aware of and ask the same questions to each agent to allow you to compare responses. Questions such as
                                1. How long from receiving the deposit should it be protected?
                                2. When should I install a carbon monoxide detector?
                                3. Do
                                11-08-2017, 20:49 PM
                                12GuageLandlord
                                jpkeates Thanks for the heads up on that - I have looked at their terms of business and I will be removing them the Management of the property as they have made 7 errors in just over 7 months which is unacceptable especially as I am paying for the "Service" (areas of mistakes include communication,...
                                11-08-2017, 13:46 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Check your agreement with the agent - they're usually hard to shift while a tenant they're found is in situ.
                                11-08-2017, 11:58 AM
                                HantsAgent
                                There's not one place which will do this for you I'm afraid.

Allagents.co.uk is a review site for agents but it's completely unregulated, anyone can leave a review on there regardless of whether they've ever done any business with an agent or not. What you'll tend to find is that rival...
                                11-08-2017, 11:15 AM
                              • Lettings agent cancellation terms query
                                malikha
                                Dear forum

Apologies if this is a common question that gets posted here but I am new to this forum (only joined to try and answer my query and I couldn't find an answer to my specific question).

I have 1 rental property which is being managed by a lettings agent. I have a...
                                27-09-2016, 14:58 PM
                              Working...
                              X