Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New EPC Rules

I note that the new E.P.C. rules, arriving in April, mention the following:
    The EPC should be available within seven days of marketing and a copy of the front page should be attached to all marketing particulars – including those available in print, online and email.

Does that mean that when a landlord advertises a property in the local newspaper or on a card in the local shop, the front page of the EPC should be displayed?

Many thanks

Originally posted by irishgem1 View Post
    I note that the new E.P.C. rules, arriving in April, mention the following:
    The EPC should be available within seven days of marketing and a copy of the front page should be attached to all marketing particulars – including those available in print, online and email.

Does that mean that when a landlord advertises a property in the local newspaper or on a card in the local shop, the front page of the EPC should be displayed?

Many thanks
    No, I think it means that it should be instantly available for the potential client to view. It would be impractical otherwise, surely. I shall check.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Here are some details and thoughts:

http://www.comfortlettings.co.uk/blo...rgy-efficiency
      I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Phlash, I cannot think it means that you have to hand any prospective T a hard copy of the EPC.

Why not simply email them one, saving paper, ink, etc.?

And if you look in this link, it says that the first page of the new-format EPC (not a full version) should be included when 'written particulars' containing floor area, photos, etc are made available. I interpret this to mean that a small ad in the local paper (or anywhere else) would not need to include the EPC, but a sheet with full details of the property (such as you'd get in an estate agent's), would do.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/2/made
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Phlash, I cannot think it means that you have to hand any prospective T a hard copy of the EPC.

Why not simply email them one, saving paper, ink, etc.?

And if you look in this link, it says that the first page of the new-format EPC (not a full version) should be included when 'written particulars' containing floor area, photos, etc are made available. I interpret this to mean that a small ad in the local paper (or anywhere else) would not need to include the EPC, but a sheet with full details of the property (such as you'd get in an estate agent's), would do.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ulation/2/made
          I didn't write the piece but I will take a look at the details.

I believe my colleague was trying to guess at what most agents may do, thinking that that is what needs to be done. I dare say that in many offices, full copies will be printed out!
          I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Originally posted by Phlash View Post
            I believe my colleague was trying to guess at what most agents may do, thinking that that is what needs to be done. I dare say that in many offices, full copies will be printed out!
            Full copies are useful for easy reference when aT enquires in an office, so it makes sesne to have one to hand in any case.

No, I thinkm OPwas wondering whether the new rules mean that the front page(showing rating) must be included with all promotional material relating to the property (e.g a small ad. in a local paper, where it would be impractical and expensive to inclde all details).

Comment

The regulation states that a copy of the EPC's first page be attached with the written particulars.
              "written particulars" are defined as:
              ““written particulars” means—
              (a)in relation to a building to be sold, any written description of the property which includes at least two of the following—
              (i)a photograph of the building or any room in the building,
              (ii)a floor plan of the building,
              (iii)the size of the rooms in the building, or
              (iv)the measured area of the building;
              (b)in relation to a building to be rented out, any written description of the property which includes at least two of the following—
              (i)a photograph of the building or any room in the building,
              (ii)a floor plan of the building,
              (iii)the size of the rooms in the building,
              (iv)the measured area of the building, or
              (v)the proposed rent;
              and reference to written particulars or a written description includes particulars or a description given or made available electronically..”
              So imho, a paper ad saying "2 bedroom house, £x pcm" needs not include the EPC info.
              But if you write the ad "2 bedroom house (100 sqm), £x pcm", then you must include the EPC info.

People will need to draft carefully, keeping the list above in mind.

Comment

DCLG are still to release the definitive guidelines on this; I think they may finally have realised that the idea isn't as workable as they thought it might be having now received guidance on the various types of advertising used in the property market.

On the plus side we had our very first tenant asking for the EPC last week - not bad going after three and a half years or producing them - I was excited until they added that they didn't know what it was but had read somewhere that they ought to ask for one.
                My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Originally posted by oaktree View Post
                  On the plus side we had our very first tenant asking for the EPC last week - not bad going after three and a half years or producing them - I was excited until they added that they didn't know what it was but had read somewhere that they ought to ask for one.
                  Ha yes - I'm yet to have a prospective T ask for sight of an EPC! Good thing they last 10 years...

Comment

Originally posted by oaktree View Post
                    DCLG are still to release the definitive guidelines on this
                    Guidelines are useful, however the law is clear...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_Manchester View Post
                      Ha yes - I'm yet to have a prospective T ask for sight of an EPC! Good thing they last 10 years...
                      So be a bit more pro-active and offer to show them it - especially when you can use it as a selling point,i.e. rating of B or A. If the EPC is abysmal, then you could pick up the phone and suggest to the LL that their property would be more attractive and easy to let if improvements were effected.

It must get very boring being a letting agent, with nothing much to do all day. So why not use your time more productively! You'll find the hours just fly past.

Comment

Being a legal requirement, prospective tenants should not need to ask to see the EPC: it should be included with the property's particulars as provided.
                        A small landlord might not put together such document, ok. But a letting agent, being professional, should.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                          So be a bit more pro-active and offer to show them it
                          This stood out as it was the first time that someone has opened their conversation with " Can you show me the epc for 18 ******* Place please" before anything else. I was just impressed that here was someone who had done their homework.

Most tenants just aren't that interested in them even after you've told them what it is; it gets a bit boring constantly telling people what they are when they are clearly not remotely interested.
                          My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

I must be different. I check the EPC (which you obviously take with a pinch of salt). Like to know what my bills are going to be like!.

I've never seen an A rating. New homes built round the corner have solar panels etc and they're being rated as B with potentially being ... B (ie no recommendations to better the rating possible).
                            I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                            I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Brb View Post
                              I must be different. I check the EPC (which you obviously take with a pinch of salt). Like to know what my bills are going to be like!.

I've never seen an A rating. New homes built round the corner have solar panels etc and they're being rated as B with potentially being ... B (ie no recommendations to better the rating possible).
                              I've seen some A rated homes - most notably our neighbour's new-build which has pv panels and ground source heat pump and is a net producer of energy - so it's got a rating of 105%! I'm a bit envious.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X