Bad reference from previous letting agent - longish story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad reference from previous letting agent - longish story

My boyfriend and his housemates have been evicted under Act 21 as they are on a rolling contract and were told by the agency that the landlord wishes to sell the house so they have two months to move out.

One of the guys has found a new place with a new agency who referenced from the old letting agents. After asking "Would you let to this tenant again?" they said "No, because the house is in a state and the cooker is a 'write off'".

Can anything be done when this is a false negative reference?

When the four guys moved in, the house was a building site. Full of old junk so they couldn't move in properly and some of the building work was unfinished. There was also a hefty damp problem and the living room roof actually caved in soon after they moved in. This was repaired, but since there has been other problems with damp and mould and the agency didn't actually fix anything when requested.

On the last inspection the house was spotless, as I was there visiting, so they have definitely given a false negative reference. The cooker is also in full working condition.

Another thing I wondered was whether notice had to be given for them to send a builder round? As I was visiting my boyfriend one time and was in bed in the morning (my boyfriend had popped out) and he text me saying the agency had just told them a builder will be over soon to fix something in the bathroom...only he was already in the house when I read it.
    I was naked in bed and didn't even get the chance to get out of it before the builder opened the bedroom door. Needless to say I felt very uncomfortable and unsafe on my own with a man I had no warning previous warning about was coming over.

The agency have been hell for the guys either way and am wondering whether they are just trying to cause them trouble for no reason. They have never been behind on rent, ever.

Originally posted by Titch88 View Post
    My boyfriend and his housemates have been evicted under Act 21 as they are on a rolling contract and were told by the agency that the landlord wishes to sell the house so they have two months to move out.
    No, they don't have 2 months to move out. The section 21 notice (if that's what you mean) only tells them that after the 2 months notice period the landlord will be entitled to apply to court for a possession order.

Can anything be done when this is a false negative reference?
    I would think that making false statements could be illegal.

That could be an error on the agent's part, as it seems not a very smart thing to do. Best to call them first to check.

In any case, as mentioned above the tenants have no obligation to move out until bailiffs come to execute a court possession order. So if the landlord wishes to sell it would be in his interest to get the current tenants to move out smoothly.
    If the agent creates problems I would therefore contact the landlord directly.

Another thing I wondered was whether notice had to be given for them to send a builder round? As I was visiting my boyfriend one time and was in bed in the morning (my boyfriend had popped out) and he text me saying the agency had just told them a builder will be over soon to fix something in the bathroom...only he was already in the house when I read it.
    It's not because someone rings on your door that you should let them in... And yes, even if they have the keys they cannot enter without notice and the tenant's consent (I'm assuming the tenants have a joint tenancy for the whole house, not individual tenancies per bedroom).
    That said if there is something broken in the bathroom you should be happy that someone comes to fix it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Vague behavior from letting agent after being acquired
      by Ven
      Hello,

Question is from tenant, who is renting a room from letting agent.

Recently, large estate agent group acquired the letting agent group that I signed a tenancy agreement with.

After acquisition, the letting agent informed us by email that the bank...
      27-01-2022, 11:18 AM
    • Reply to Vague behavior from letting agent after being acquired
      by theartfullodger
      Who or what is named as landlord please? That's the entity you have the contract with.

I'd want something in writing from landlord before making any changes.

The whole "change" could be a scam?
      27-01-2022, 17:11 PM
      by nukecad
      jpkeats raises a good point about the transfer.

So your old agent has been bought-out/acquired, but are still running the business for the new owners. That's not too unusual.

The "manage our property independently after acquisition." is a bit odd (they'd be managing...
      27-01-2022, 16:00 PM
      by Ven
      It's not recognised as business in their database, as when you enter bank details, your bank can look for it and confirm it matches the information the bank have about the sort code and account number. You can still send the money....
      27-01-2022, 14:45 PM
      by jpkeates
      If the sort code and account number are not recognised, how have you done a bank transfer?

In the meantime, can you pay them by cheque?
      27-01-2022, 12:38 PM
    • Reply to removal of letting agent
      by Lawcruncher
      If you have a fixed term agreement with the landlord you can only break it as provided in the agreement or if the agent is in serious breach. If the agreement is periodic you can break it by giving the appropriate period of notice. If the agreement is of indefinite duration (for example that it endures...
      27-01-2022, 11:49 AM
    • removal of letting agent
      by yeahremy
      Hi,

another topic on this but apologies as i cant find my answer on the other ones.
      My letting agent messed up the check in and check out report. Basically they keep telling me to pay the deposit back without really checking the reports.
      2y ago I had new tenants who moved in...
      24-01-2022, 16:12 PM
      by Landyman
      yeahremy It sounds as though you don't know how to complain effectively.

Agents receive many 'complaints' from landlords that are just long and rambling rants about poor service. The agent will generally apologise, say that it won't happen again, and then carry on as normal.

27-01-2022, 09:10 AM
      by yeahremy
      Hi,

yes regarding the scheme but as soon as I raise a complaint by email, which party should launch the official complaint procedure.
      the estate agent is saying I have not requested the complaint form until now.
      Therefore, question is :when we do raise a complaint, this is...
      26-01-2022, 15:16 PM
    • New agent not paying landlord
      by Cpark
      Folks I wonder if anyone can help me here, I have had the worst few years with my properties, the previous agents filled my properties up with delinquents and refused to pay the full sum, we lost 8 months of declining rents. Then was introduced to a new set of agents who really were impressive and opted...
      24-01-2022, 00:27 AM
    Working...
    X