Agent ignored L's instructions re term; ostensible authority?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent ignored L's instructions re term; ostensible authority?

Hi, I have recently let out a property using a letting agent, I asked for the property to be let on a 6 month agreement, The letting agent has signed a tenancy on my behalf for 12 months with no break clause in it. Where do i stand here? can i make the LA change the tenancy agreement or am i now tied in for 12 months?, any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

1. Your Agent (A) had your ostensible authority to let for 12mths., despite the 6mth. restriction that you imposed.
    2. The restriction is unknown to T who has no need to query what L is offering on your behalf.
    3. So:
    a. as between you (L) and T, you are bound; but
    b. as between principal (you) and A, A has committed a breach of contract.
    4. Send Letter Before Action to A, threatening proceedings unless A compensates you.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for reply jeffery, I am quite unsure what to do here, you say ask for compensation? what sort of compensation can i ask for here? also if the agent doesnt budge what kind of proceedings can i take against them? Surely an agent cannot just rent out your property for any lenth they choose, i would of thought anything other than a 6 month tenancy agreement would need the landlords permission. thanks for any help guys..

Comment

Anybody?...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Birdseye View Post
          Thanks for reply jeffery, I am quite unsure what to do here, you say ask for compensation? what sort of compensation can i ask for here?
          Depends on what financial loss you have suffered as a result of the screw-up. Why did you specifically want a 6-month agreement rather than a 12-month one - just to protect yourself against getting a dodgy tenant for too long? If so, and if the tenant ends up staying in place for 12 months without problems, then I doubt there's any reason to justify compensation.

Comment

The thing that really bothers me is that the agent just does what they like and thats ok?? I told agent to rent property for 6 months, they have blatently ignored me, obviously this is to guarantee themselves 12 months commision, i suppose the best thing is not to let an agent sign tenancy agreement on your behalf this is the only way to stop these crooks...

Comment

You could raise a complaint with the LA, but its unlikely to result in much.

As stated above you will only have a claim against LA for their breach if you have suffered loss.
              PAUL GIBBS, solicitor, Jacobs & Reeves. My comments on this forum are correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No responsibility or liability is accepted by reason of reliance upon such comments. This disclaimer would not apply to direct clients of Jacobs & Reeves where there is a valid retainer in place and I would be happy to confirm any advice if formally instructed. . Jacobs & Reeves now offer a fixed fee possession service.

Comment

The thing that really bothers me is that the agent just does what they like and thats ok?? I told agent to rent property for 6 months, they have blatently ignored me, obviously this is to guarantee themselves 12 months commision
                Well if they have done so deliberately it would be a bit short-sighted of them in that they have presumably guaranteed themselves no repeat business from you.

I don't know how your contract is structured, but the usual complaint against agents is that they insist on drawing up new contracts (and charging both LL and T handsomely for doing so, every 6 months, when it's completely unnecessary.

Comment

The thing that really bothers me is that the agent just does what they like and thats ok?? I told agent to rent property for 6 months, they have blatently ignored me, obviously this is to guarantee themselves 12 months commision, i suppose the best thing is not to let an agent sign tenancy agreement on your behalf this is the only way to stop these crooks...
                  I told an agent in writing that he did not have authority to sign the AST - I insisted that I had to sign it - he went ahead anyway and signed it. The answer? Do it yourself!
                  Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                    I told an agent in writing that he did not have authority to sign the AST - I insisted that I had to sign it - he went ahead anyway and signed it. The answer? Do it yourself!
                    Was it in the agreement between yourself and the agent?
                    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      1. Your Agent (A) had your ostensible authority to let for 12mths., despite the 6mth. restriction that you imposed.
                      2. The restriction is unknown to T who has no need to query what L is offering on your behalf.
                      3. So:
                      a. as between you (L) and T, you are bound; but
                      b. as between principal (you) and A, A has committed a breach of contract.
                      4. Send Letter Before Action to A, threatening proceedings unless A compensates you.
                      I'm not sure this is correct - LL may not be bound under the tenancy agreement under the law of agency, if A has exceeded his authority.

Just by way of example, if I pose as an agent acting for the owner of buckingham Palace, and purport to have authority to sign on behalf of my principal in relation to a tenancy agreement, and do so sign, I am unsure that the owner would be bound by the terms of the tenancy agreement.

I will look into this to back this up, and post again.

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
                        I'm not sure this is correct - LL may not be bound under the tenancy agreement under the law of agency, if A has exceeded his authority.

Just by way of example, if I pose as an agent acting for the owner of buckingham Palace, and purport to have authority to sign on behalf of my principal in relation to a tenancy agreement, and do so sign, I am unsure that the owner would be bound by the terms of the tenancy agreement.

I will look into this to back this up, and post again.
                        Dominic
                        You are posing as an agent in your hypothetical example, but OP's agent was appointed as his agent.

Comment

Dominic: look for 'ostensible [or 'apparent'] authority'. Try:
                          a. http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...t%20authority; or
                          b. http://www.lexology.com/library/deta...7-a1ca83e21e26
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by Sad S View Post
                            Dominic
                            You are posing as an agent in your hypothetical example, but OP's agent was appointed as his agent.
                            Yes. Once the principal appoints the agent, any limitations on authority unknown to outsiders do not limit what the agent's apparently authorised to do.

Comment

I am not sure that matters from the perspective of the third party (and possibly as far as the law of agency is concerned).

I may be wrong, but something is nagging at the back of my mind on this.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• OpenRent vs. Visum
                                John Duff
                                Afternoon all.

I (hopefully) will have a property to let in the next month or so.

I listed it on Gumtree yesterday (as it's free). However, it has generated very little interest and I've only found it successful for finding migrant workers part subsidised by LHA in downtown...
                                18-10-2019, 13:29 PM
                              • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
                                John Duff
                                Good to know DPT57 but is the Ā£29 option a truly no-strings advertise-only on Rightmove?
                                18-10-2019, 19:22 PM
                              • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
                                DPT57
                                I've used Openrent for the last few years for multiple properties. I agree that the 'rent now' option is a bid of an oddity and I don't know why they don't remove it from the site. I have to say though that in practice it has never been a problem for me as no-one has ever attempted that option with...
                                18-10-2019, 16:18 PM
                              • Letting Agents - Duty of Care
                                kennyj52
                                I'm wondering whether I have a case against my lettings agency in respect of the tenant they introduced to me who has turned out to have multiple outstanding CCJs, a prior eviction and is now 7 months in rent arrears. The lettings agency have been disappointing with the service they provided from the...
                                09-12-2018, 22:35 PM
                              • Reply to Letting Agents - Duty of Care
                                kennyj52
                                Thanks all for the advice and here is an update on my case against the agents. By the way, the tenant moved out voluntarily back in April, 2 days before the bailiffs arrived to enforce the eviction, so technically, I guess, she was "evicted"?

Following the agents offer in June...
                                17-10-2019, 21:15 PM
                              • Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
                                DP10
                                The estate agent lost all my keys to the back garden. I've since taken two quotes and paid a reputable locksmith to replace entirely new lock system (e.g high security grill locks on ground floor garden flat).

I never signed a contract with the estate agent but owe them 840 pounds for...
                                15-10-2019, 10:35 AM
                              • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
                                jpkeates
                                I think there was definitely a contract, signing it isn't essential (unless there is a written contract with terms that say that it isn't valid until signed).

You obviously have some kind of agreement, because the agent did things that show that they believed that you had retained their...
                                17-10-2019, 08:57 AM
                              • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
                                DP10
                                JP Keates: Thank you! If they can technically sue in light of UK Law and the incident is in tort, then perhaps I should rethink. I did request a call but I've not heard back from them. Perhaps I should initiate a call and come to an agreement where it's split 50:50? Perhaps I should wait a little...
                                17-10-2019, 08:51 AM
                                MdeB
                                Why did agent have all the keys?
                                Why did you not retain copies?

It seems to me that you were negligent and this contributed to the cost of rectifying the situation.

If it was the garden keys that were lost, why did you replace all locks?

Were the replacements...
                                15-10-2019, 18:54 PM
                              • Agent fee increase
                                armour
                                Hi All,
                                I have been letting 2 properties with the same agency for 10 years and have always paid 9% on one and 10% on the other (plus VAT) for its services.
                                Around 3 months ago, without warning, the agency began to charge 12.5% on the one which I had been paying 10% on. This happened at around...
                                15-10-2019, 14:29 PM
                              Working...
                              X