Has Letting Agent's workman sabotaged my boiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Letting Agent's workman sabotaged my boiler?

What do you think of this guys?

Tomorrow I have new tenants moving into my rental flat. It is also a new letting agent. As you may expect I have spent the last fortnight completing their paperwork, and they have just done a new gas check and PAT test.

This evening, I went round for a last check of the place, and found it very cold. This was odd, because last week I turned the boiler on and set the thermostat to 60F.

I went to turn on the boiler, and found it completely dead. No lights on at all. I did not have far to look, as I noticed some scratches on the fuse carrier on the spur box that feeds the boiler. Opening the fuse carrier, I found no fuse.

I replaced the fuse, and started the boiler. After a bit of huffing and puffing a light comes on saying 'Lock Out'. I don't know what this means. Could somebody have also shut off the gas? (The gas hob works.)

If something is genuinely wrong with my boiler, why was I not informed after the gas safety check? If something is not wrong, has the workman simulated a fault so he gets a further call out tomorrow?

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
    If something is genuinely wrong with my boiler, why was I not informed after the gas safety check? If something is not wrong, has the workman simulated a fault so he gets a further call out tomorrow?
    Hard to say as 'lock out' covers a multitude of potential problems.

I suppose that sabotage is possible, but seems a bit unlikely. Given that something odd's clearly happened - the removal of the fuse - i would get on to the agent/engineer and ask what's happening - has a certificate been issued? why was the fuse pulled? and why is the boiler not working now?

---------
    Edit:
    Thinking about it... did the boiler get drained down to prevent it freezing during the cold weather? If so, the sensible thing to have done then would be to have pulled the fuse to prevent someone switching the boiler on with no water in!

Contact the agent and find our what's gone on.

Comment

‘Lock out’ could mean the boiler itself has prevented full ignition, a Google search of ‘Lock out’ along with the boiler model might tell you what conditions cause this. For many boilers they will shut down due to, low gas pressure, low water pressure (for a closed system), no flow if the pump has stuck/seized or the system has been drained as Ericthelobster said.
      I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Thanks for replies guys.

Well this morning I have an explanation. Letting agent says that boiler has failed its emission test, so the engineer has shut it off while he orders parts.

They find this out on the day the tenant is due to move in! I despair.

Comment

That boiler is now fixed, and the tenant moves in tomorrow.

However, today I had another boiler inspection by British Gas at another house. This has passed every year since it was installed in 1999. This has also failed today due to incorrect plumbing!

I get the impression that these gas fitters try to fail boilers so that they get the job of 'rectifying' them.

Anyone else have the same trouble?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
            However, today I had another boiler inspection by British Gas at another house. This has passed every year since it was installed in 1999. This has also failed today due to incorrect plumbing!
            In what way 'incorrect'?

It's true that some of the regs are somewhat subjective, and what one inspector might consider a borderline failure could be a borderline pass in someone else's eyes, without anything nefarious or incompetent going on.

A good reason to not change gas inspectors year on year if you can avoid it!

Comment

Thanks Eric,

I would dearly love to have the same man every year, but British Gas have never sent the same person twice!

The central heating is a conventional gravity-fed system. For some reason the installer put a pressure relief valve on above the boiler. (This is only required for pressurised systems.) Today the engineer said: 'If that blows, it would send a hot jet of water into the kitchen'

Surely it would only blow if it was a pressurised system?

Comment

In a past life I was a heating engineer. From the sound of it you have a very old system even if the boiler is more modern. It was common practice to put a pressure valve on a none pressurised system in the 1960s and 70s and I have to say I don't understand why as the system has an expansion pipe to the header tank which would come into play rather than the pressure valve. I have never known such a valve to release water in anger but they did regular leak. Usually as long as you know the system is not pressurised and that there is an expansion pipe to the header tank then the valve can be removed and plugged.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean.
                  I had a problem with a slight gas leak which was repaired by somebody my agent sent round because I could not get hold of my gas man to sort the problem.
                  For 2 months the boiler has worked with no problem at all but the very next day the gas leak is sorted. ( installing new pipework after taking up newly fitted carpet & floorboards etc) the tenants are telling me the water presure on the boiler is dropping & the water has to be topped up every day.
                  Coinsidence? I wonder.
                  Anyway I've phoned my trusted gas man, left a message and am waiting for him to call me to arrange to go & have a look see.
                  Workmen!!!!!!!!! Tradesmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't trust any of them unless I know them & in this game when doing up a house prior to renting you get to know who to trust & who not to trust thereby building up a list of people you are happy to enter your house.
                  I will always now get my people in before the agents people. Even though my property is fully managed I have asked my tenants to phone me first if they have a problem & they are happy to do so as it proves I care & want to get the best people in to sort out any problems.

Comment

Rodders - out of interest, why do you go for a managed option when you are clearly are in a better position than your agents? (re: tradesmen)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X