Who is responsible for recovering deposit from letting agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is responsible for recovering deposit from letting agent

Our letting agent has become insolvant and I have since found out that they had not protected the tenants deposit. A deposit id was created with the DPS which was cancelled as no funds were transferred.

Am I as the landlord still liable for returning the deposit to the tenants (even though no money was ever passed on to me) or does the tenants need to recover the deposit from the agents directly.

Thanks.

Originally posted by nms View Post
    Am I as the landlord still liable for returning the deposit to the tenants (even though no money was ever passed on to me) or does the tenants need to recover the deposit from the agents directly.

Thanks.
    Yes you are, and what's more, the tenant could sue you for the 3x deposit since the deposit was never protected. The tenant paid the deposit to your agent, therefore paying it to you.
    The best thing you could do at the moment is pay the deposit into the scheme out of your own pocket and then go after the agent, an expensive lesson, but one that more and more LL's are learning.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Under what principle is the Landlord ultimately responsible to return the Deposit?

Comment

Any deposit claim against the tenant would come from the landlord, and be paid to the landlord if agreed, which makes the landlord responsible in my opinion.
        I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by rustyhughes View Post
          Under what principle is the Landlord ultimately responsible to return the Deposit?
          Because:
          a. it's payable (and potentially repayable) only under the Letting Agreement; and
          b. the Letting Agreement is between only L and T- i.e. L's letting agent is, in legal parlance, a 'stranger' to that contract.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X