• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTLMortgages
    started a topic Buy-to-let landlords can claim millions

Buy-to-let landlords can claim millions

Buy-to-let landlords can claim millions

Thousands of buy-to-let landlords could be in line to claim millions back from estate agents as a result of a landmark High Court ruling yesterday against Foxtons. Mr Justice Mann ruled that leasing agreements made by Foxtons, which operates mainly in London, unfairly overcharged commission to landlords. The Judge described Foxtons' agreements as traps and timebombs. Foxtons, which lets some of the most expensive property in Central London, charged customers 11 per cent commission when a tenant continued to occupy the property for longer than the initial term of the lease, and an additional 2.5 per cent commission payment if a tenant agreed to buy the property from the owner.
    Last edited by Editor; 20-07-2009, 11:03 AM.

• jeffrey
    replied
    BTLMortgages sounds like a spammer to me.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Don't hold your breath. Surely there will be an appeal and the whole thing will drag on forever? It'll be like Jarndyce v Jarndyce.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pro Rated Overpayment
    bobby276
    Hi all,

I will be moving into a place I'm renting with an agency on Friday. Since the agent takes payment on the first day of the month, I have to pay a pro-rated amount for 27, 28. 29, & 30. The rent PCM is £1,500.

My maths shows that this should be 4/30*1500 = £200....
    23-09-2019, 15:21 PM
  • Reply to Pro Rated Overpayment
    bobby276
    Fair enough - in which case, I'll leave it alone. Thanks for the advice.
    22-10-2019, 16:11 PM
    jpkeates
    Nothing, but I think you'd be wasting your time for £14 and the court would probably split any costs, so you'd be out of pocket....
    22-10-2019, 15:32 PM
  • Charge for lock replacement
    bobby276
    Hi all,

Within a few weeks of moving into a new property, I was having issues with the front door locks where the key would just not open the door (it is definitely the correct key). It would take maybe 10-15 mins of jiggling the key to finally get the door open. This didn't occur too often...
    22-10-2019, 14:04 PM
  • Reply to Charge for lock replacement
    bobby276
    Correct, the keys have some sort of identification on them.

It seems to me there was an issue with the lock in the first place. The thing is, I was able to insert the key and turn it which allowed me to unlock the door - without removing the key, the key got stuck and the key can be seen...
    22-10-2019, 14:57 PM
  • Reply to Charge for lock replacement
    leaseholder64
    I think this is more a case of bureaucracy than bullying and I think it might be better, if you are on a probationary tenancy, to not make waves.

Are these Yale type keys (pin tumbler)? I'm not sure how a Yale key that actually fitted the key way could get stuck in the lock, even if it...
    22-10-2019, 14:20 PM
    bobby276
    What stops me from paying and then claiming it back later saying it violates the terms of the contract?
    22-10-2019, 13:53 PM
  • Online Letting Agents experiences
    markotsg
    Hello

I have been using high st agent for full management
    The fees are increasing and they dont do much to justify this, I have been thinking to either self manage or use Online agents as they are 40-50 % cheaper then High St ones.

Has anyone had any expiriences with...
    22-10-2019, 10:13 AM
  • Reply to Online Letting Agents experiences
    Harwood
    Agree with this.
    Alternatively i have manged to find a "tame" local handyman on whom i can rely when the inevitable problem occurs. This has worked for 15 years for me, but you really do need to trust the individual. I have an arrangement now where the tenant contacts the handyman directly...
    22-10-2019, 12:53 PM
  • Reply to Online Letting Agents experiences
    John Duff
    Yes by all means use an online agent. However, if you live far away from a property you really need a local agent / property manager to take care of things. I often hear complaints from far-away landlords who don't seem to grasp that their distance is not their tenants' problem.

I don't...
    22-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Working...
X