Remax letting Agents ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remax letting Agents ?

I Have noticed that Remax are pushing to manage and Let properties in my Area, they are charging a fee of 9% for full management.
    Anyone got any experience of dealing with Remax, There have been some press articles about them, has anyone actually used them for letting ?http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/tm_...name_page.html

I find them to be a bloody joke round my way!
    My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
      I find them to be a bloody joke round my way!
      From what i understand the people who work for them are on comission only, i cant understand how that can work if they are doing property management.

I Dont know anybody who has used there letting service yet, so i cant comment, it would be intersting to hear what type of service there Letting Service is acheiving.

Comment

Remax (Letting Agents) have closed.

I Have noted 2 Remax shops have closed recently in the Edinburgh Area, the Portobello office has closed, so has the Penicuik Branch.

My question is, as they were doing property management, and would have held deposits on properties they managed, is there any chance of getting your deposit money back from there head office ?

The downturn could see more Remax offices closing down, so be careful if you are using them to manage your properties.

Have any closed down in your area recently ?

Comment

Hi Edinburgh,

The deposits should be protected under one of the schemes if applicable.

The idea of getting the deposits back from there head office, that wont be possible as Remax is a franchise, the master Franchisee is Reg Mcdonld based in Motherwell business park.

The issues that surround why Remax brnaches is closing down is merely down to the fact there franchise fees are pretty high for a 5year license to operate under there name. The royalties are also quite high, some agents in the past have set up with the remax brand and then after there first 5years have closed down and opened up as an independant without the same overheads.

There is a number of franchises available at present due to the downturn and the fact that many are closing.

Jax

Comment

I know our local branch covertly sold properties of the 'dead' to a local multimillionaire at undermarket prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Markonee1 View Post
              I know our local branch covertly sold properties of the 'dead' to a local multimillionaire at undermarket prices.
              i heard about that, the article was in the Sunday Mail.

Comment

How:
                a. do you know that for a fact (as opposed to hearsay/news reports); and
                b. did the branch effect that at HMLR?
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Edinburgh29 View Post
                  i heard about that, the article was in the Sunday Mail.
                  I never saw any article, and this may be a different event because I don't think it's common knowledge in this instance, but I spoke with a certain millionaire's head carpenter. We'd been discussing why his boss was insisting he used a cheap undersized wooden beam over a doorway in a loadbearing wall, rather than a £5 concrete lintel, when his boss has endless money and was going to make thousands profit... I think it comes down to power more than money saving, infact the millionaire spoke to me once and said, "I do things because I can... control is everything!" Perhaps he'd have made a 'good' squire

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                    How:
                    a. do you know that for a fact (as opposed to hearsay/news reports); and
                    b. did the branch effect that at HMLR?
                    Was this article about Gloucester? No-ones been prosecuted, let's face it it's commonplace for estate agents to sell stuff without it coming onto the market. [Actually I'm talking 3 or 4 years ago for this particular witness' confiding.] Many also share information, and take it in turns for the bargains...
                    Only last week I was asking about a repossesion opposite, and an estate agent, said he didn't know much about it,(except there had been damage by water, and that they thought they were going to get 'that' one, but had heard nothing since!) I guess some one has to get it, maybe the repossessors get several estate agents interested initially before choosing, and that's how many 'know' something?

Comment

I never saw any article, and this may be a different event because I don't think it's common knowledge in this instance, but I spoke with a certain millionaire's head carpenter. We'd been discussing why his boss was insisting he used a cheap undersized wooden beam over a doorway in a loadbearing wall, rather than a £5 concrete lintel, when his boss has endless money and was going to make thousands profit... I think it comes down to power more than money saving, infact the millionaire spoke to me once and said, "I do things because I can... control is everything!" Perhaps he'd have made a 'good' squire
                      Edinburgh Remax office are up to all sorts of slippery stuff.
                      http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/tm_...name_page.html

Comment

it's commonplace for estate agents to sell stuff without it coming onto the market.
                        Maybe so, but the sale is at least legally by the owner or other party (e.g. executor, mortgagee, liquidator) competent to sell and pass good title (so not by EA as such) to P.
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                          Maybe so, but the sale is at least legally by the owner or other party (e.g. executor, mortgagee, liquidator) competent to sell and pass good title (so not by EA as such) to P.
                          Indeed, but not all executors are expert in the field of house valuation. Often it's simply a trusted member of the family, and whilst the vultures are circling overhead... Or leeches on yer soles for that matter...

Comment

This is an old newspaper article, I ask what the OP has to gain in this. The franchise I understand has been taken back by the Master Franchisee and is no longer trading under the Remax banner.

I have to say that common practise is that estate agents build up relationships with good investors and as such, when they need to sell a house and make it stick they go to investors who can complete the purchase.

The other thing to think about here is the purchases offered to but the property and the banks had the decision to sell or wait for a better offer. The banks knew what the property was worth when they agreed to sell.

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by jax2503 View Post
                              This is an old newspaper article, I ask what the OP has to gain in this. The franchise I understand has been taken back by the Master Franchisee and is no longer trading under the Remax banner.

I have to say that common practise is that estate agents build up relationships with good investors and as such, when they need to sell a house and make it stick they go to investors who can complete the purchase.

The other thing to think about here is the purchases offered to but the property and the banks had the decision to sell or wait for a better offer. The banks knew what the property was worth when they agreed to sell.

Jax
                              In the current state the property market is in there will be many more Remax Letting/Estate Agents offices closing down.
                              I Looked on the web sites of the ones that are still left in and around Edinburgh, there seems to be only the office owners left, and the odd one or 2 Agents.
                              A year ago these same offices had up to 8 agents as well as the office owners, they are dropping like flies.
                              If as you previously said, these Agents actually have to pay a fee to go to work ( which i find is crazy ) and with not a lot of buyers around at the moment, how long can they actually survive ?
                              Anyone noticed the same patern in your area of the country ?
                              http://www.remax-scotland.com/Office...?OfficeID=7191

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How to choose letting agent
                                by LMK
                                Hi. I am just getting ready to rent my property out for the first time.
                                I am planning on getting a few letting agents around, seeing what they say, what they can offer (planning on going for the full management option), their prices etc.
                                But is there anything in particular that I should...
                                10-07-2020, 18:36 PM
                              • Reply to How to choose letting agent
                                by Beswick
                                If I could go back in time, I'd advise 'the old me' to do swot up on all the regulatory stuff and do everything myself. These forums are a great place for info, as is the Moneysaving Expert website. Find the relevant tradesmen (personal recommendation is best) too.

I've found that if...
                                11-07-2020, 11:48 AM
                              • Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
                                by lamblord
                                Hi All,

I became a landlord back in January 2019 when I moved in with my partner, and we rented out my property. I used a letting agency, as I didn't really have the time to invest in learning how to manage a property myself. The letting agent got 3 tenants in on 12 month agreement, that...
                                08-07-2020, 15:15 PM
                              • Reply to Letting agent cease fee = 12 months fees.
                                by Lawcruncher
                                Refer the agent to paragraph 5 of the list of terms which may be regarded as unfair set out in Schedule 2 to the Consumer Rights Act 2015:

A term which has the object or effect of requiring that, where the consumer decides not to conclude or perform the contract, the consumer must pay the...
                                11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
                                by jpucng62
                                I would visit them and have a chat about their approach, charges etc. The monthly charge is important, as is how they charge for deposit protection (this can vary quite a lot). Ask about their approach to repairs etc and choose one which fits with what you want AND offers good value.

Remember...
                                10-07-2020, 22:20 PM
                                by Mrs Mug
                                See the link below on how to select a letting agent.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_67759939
                                10-07-2020, 19:47 PM
                                by Beswick
                                Tell the letting agent that you feel the charge is, given the level of service you have received, excessive. Tell them you are happy to pay 3 months' fees and no more. See how they respond.

If you're still not happy, try approaching the redress scheme the agent is a member of. They can...
                                10-07-2020, 18:09 PM
                                by DPT57
                                Nothing attached.

Such termination clauses are, however, pretty stanard in agency contracts.

Bear in mind that if these are unrelated tenants, the property will be an HMO and the full HMO Management Regulations will apply.
                                10-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                              • Reply to Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
                                by jpkeates
                                And the tenant's free day may not coincide with yours.

There are five hidden benefits to using an agent:
                                1 - There are usually several people to answer the phone, make calls and arrange things at an agent, while if you DIY, there's you.
                                2 - It's much easier to say no to things...
                                09-07-2020, 10:04 AM
                              • Newly refurbished house to let- fully managed or finder fee only?
                                by Lots on
                                I have been a landlord, initially accidental (had to manage fathers properties when he became ill) then by choice. Only 2 properties, a student flat which is fully managed and a house which I inherited with tenants in situ and no letting agents, it was quite hands off but amicable. They have moved...
                                06-07-2020, 21:46 PM
                              Working...
                              X