How to source property contractors for new agent?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How to source property contractors for new agent?

    hi all,

    Wonder if you can help please, I need to compile a list of contractor's to do work for potential new clients, I will need the usual, gas engineer, electrical engineer, general handyman, potential roof contractor etc, I was just wondering how every body else went about getting a contractor's list, did you simply look at your local tradesman give them a call, exlpain your starting an agency and need people to call when needed? or is there a recommended list you need to go by to make sure they are all credible? or is it people you know and they do you mate's rates? an idea of how other agents got to have their list would be much appreciated to give me idea's of where to start, also any additional contractor's I need to consider on top of the one's mentioned? or are there contractors on here that I can approach (i'm in Chester)?

    Once you have your list of people to call there are few other question's if people could help please:

    1. Do you give new LL's an idea of what they could be charged? Full list or just hourly rate?

    2. How can I offer a 24 hour emergency number for tenants to call? is this done from the contractor's or an insurance scheme taken out by agent?

    3. How many of each dooes anybody hold details on 3 maybe? so you can always get hold of somebody?

    Just not sure where to start with this one, hopefully once I know i'll be able to pass on some knowledge to other people in the future!

    Thank's very much in advance.

    Recommendation and reputation, professional qualifications, how long company established, and PL Insurance at a minimum.

    You should also have a terms if business with each tradesman stating hourly rate, standard of workmanship, hours of trade, whether they do out of hours service etc. Tenants are entitled to a 24/7 contact number.

    It would take me too long to explain everything. If you are an agent then you are not quite prepared to take the leap into management yet!
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      Thanks for reply, I will be an agent shortly and your right i'm not 100 per cent ready yet but that's the reason for the question!

      I know it sound's like common sense to just pick up the phone and speak to local tradesman but was curious how other's went about it and whether I could learn from experience in term's of do's and dont's, what to look out for etc.

      Thanks again



        This is a real hot potato and can cause untold stress for you and your landlords and tenants in the future if approached in the wrong way.
        The worst thing you can do is just call a few tradesmen out of the yellow pages for a chat.
        Join your local landlords association or local professional body and only work with individuals or firms who have been recommended by them, I think this is the best way to reduce risk!
        The recommendations will be for contractors who will know what questions to ask you about the level of service required and is a great way to gain essential local knowledge about the housing stock.


          Potnewagent: Have you done any courses or obtained any technical qualifications to equip you to become a successful property agent? If you haven't, it may well pay you to approach Paul F again who can suggest what you need to do in this respect. As a mere landlord, I needed to find a new agent for one of my properties recently. The manager got third degree from me on the phone and managed to easily give me satisfactory answers to all my questions. He also gave me the impression that he really knew his business. His contract arrived today - there was no small print and all the terms were fair and reasonable. That agent has got my business for the property in question. If you want to get business from experienced landlords, you must know the answers to the questions that they will invariably ask.

          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


            Sorry I realise its off topic but I think RLA or NLA do a course for agents in lettings. Have heard very good things about it.


              Thanks for replies, p.p no I have not done any courses/qualifications, I have just less than 1 year's experience with working in an estate agent's doing sale's and letting's so I have a basic over view, although I concentrated at the time more on sales!! so there are area's that need attention! i've joined DPS/Homelet/OEA and are in the process of joining NALS, Maybe I should re think doing a short course to make sure i'm covering all angles but to be honest I think with time and research there's no real reason why you can't do it off your own back! Maybe i'll come to eat those word's!! I'm certainly not going to be opening my door's until I know enough to satisfy an experienced Landlord! I have family & friends who are qualified accountants and lawyers and have contacts with certain estate agents as well as personally knowing a handful of experienced landlords who manage their own properties so i'm just trying to pull all that together and go from there.
              I must admit when I first decided to get into this I didn't realise just how complicated it can be, its always the way when you look deep into different career's, if it was easy money everybody would do it!!!

              thanks again.


                Try and use the apostrophe correctly and not using the possessive when you mean the plural! If you write letter's using the apostrophe in the wrong place then you will find that landlord's are not too impressed.
                The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


                  yeah, I was always better at maths and information technology as opposed to English, guess thats where my admin girl comes in!!!

                  thanks again for all the replies


                  Latest Activity