Agent has lost all tenants documents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent has lost all tenants documents

I have a problem tenant who refuses to leave my property. He has been claiming that the property has repair issues and has witheld over 2 months rent. All repairs have been done but he continues to write to me about further trivial problems and is not willing to discuss repaying his arrears, saying that the rent witheld is compensation for his inconvenience.

I am currently going through the accelerated possession process with a solicitor but would like to get a money judgement against the tenant.

My problem is that the letting agent claims that he has lost all the tenants details including reference information and employer details. Is there a way of finding a tenant's employment details?

Failing that, can the letting agent be held responsible/liable for the rent arrears etc if I can't get an attachment of earnings due to lack of employment details?

What the agent really means is that he never did the checks in the first place.

You should always check them over before the tenant is in.

By all means go after the agent for negligence but in the meantime do a small claims submission against the tenant for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by MissLandlord View Post
      Is there a way of finding a tenant's employment details?
      If you're local, the easiest way might be wait outside the property one morning and tail him to work. If he drives, more sophisticated would be to put a tracker on his car as suggested in another thread I read earlier; or has also been suggested here in the past, conceal an old cheapo PAYG mobile phone under his car somewhere, and register it with one of the tracking services - instant (approximate) GPS tracker!

Comment

Why are emloyment details needed, if you're merely suing T? Let him bring them forward at the hearing, if he needs to plead poverty.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Why are emloyment details needed, if you're merely suing T? Let him bring them forward at the hearing, if he needs to plead poverty.
          Good point, and very true; but if I was in the OP's position I'd still want to know where the guy worked as given the agent's cock-up it will probably represent the best way of keeping tabs on him once he's moved out (eg he could be tracked from his place of work to a new abode).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• OpenRent vs. Visum
            John Duff
            Afternoon all.

I (hopefully) will have a property to let in the next month or so.

I listed it on Gumtree yesterday (as it's free). However, it has generated very little interest and I've only found it successful for finding migrant workers part subsidised by LHA in downtown...
            18-10-2019, 13:29 PM
          • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
            John Duff
            Good to know DPT57 but is the £29 option a truly no-strings advertise-only on Rightmove?
            18-10-2019, 19:22 PM
          • Reply to OpenRent vs. Visum
            DPT57
            I've used Openrent for the last few years for multiple properties. I agree that the 'rent now' option is a bid of an oddity and I don't know why they don't remove it from the site. I have to say though that in practice it has never been a problem for me as no-one has ever attempted that option with...
            18-10-2019, 16:18 PM
          • Letting Agents - Duty of Care
            kennyj52
            I'm wondering whether I have a case against my lettings agency in respect of the tenant they introduced to me who has turned out to have multiple outstanding CCJs, a prior eviction and is now 7 months in rent arrears. The lettings agency have been disappointing with the service they provided from the...
            09-12-2018, 22:35 PM
          • Reply to Letting Agents - Duty of Care
            kennyj52
            Thanks all for the advice and here is an update on my case against the agents. By the way, the tenant moved out voluntarily back in April, 2 days before the bailiffs arrived to enforce the eviction, so technically, I guess, she was "evicted"?

Following the agents offer in June...
            17-10-2019, 21:15 PM
          • Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
            DP10
            The estate agent lost all my keys to the back garden. I've since taken two quotes and paid a reputable locksmith to replace entirely new lock system (e.g high security grill locks on ground floor garden flat).

I never signed a contract with the estate agent but owe them 840 pounds for...
            15-10-2019, 10:35 AM
          • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
            jpkeates
            I think there was definitely a contract, signing it isn't essential (unless there is a written contract with terms that say that it isn't valid until signed).

You obviously have some kind of agreement, because the agent did things that show that they believed that you had retained their...
            17-10-2019, 08:57 AM
          • Reply to Am I within my rights to withhold estate agent fees due to their negligence?
            DP10
            JP Keates: Thank you! If they can technically sue in light of UK Law and the incident is in tort, then perhaps I should rethink. I did request a call but I've not heard back from them. Perhaps I should initiate a call and come to an agreement where it's split 50:50? Perhaps I should wait a little...
            17-10-2019, 08:51 AM
            MdeB
            Why did agent have all the keys?
            Why did you not retain copies?

It seems to me that you were negligent and this contributed to the cost of rectifying the situation.

If it was the garden keys that were lost, why did you replace all locks?

Were the replacements...
            15-10-2019, 18:54 PM
          • Agent fee increase
            armour
            Hi All,
            I have been letting 2 properties with the same agency for 10 years and have always paid 9% on one and 10% on the other (plus VAT) for its services.
            Around 3 months ago, without warning, the agency began to charge 12.5% on the one which I had been paying 10% on. This happened at around...
            15-10-2019, 14:29 PM
          Working...
          X