Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agents Fees.

I need to revise my rental policy.
    In the last Tax Year with one property my Letting Agent has charged me over 21% in Fees.
    The main reason is when it came up for rental although we had over 20 enquiries the Letting Agent only offered a 6 month tenancy whereas I now believe that could have offered a 12 month tenancy from the outset.
    The first tenant left after 6 months so then I had to pay another £300 for a new lease etc for another tenant, whereas if the original lease was for 12 months there would have been no "void" period between tenants and no new Legal fees for the new lease.
    And in this years rental period I am being charged £50 to protect the Deposit for a longer time.
    So in future, for me any new tenancy is for a 12 month period only.

The basic problem is that a tenant who wants to leave after six months will probably do so regardless of the length of the tenancy agreement, and, realistically, the last thing you want is a tenant in your property who doesn't want to be there.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Fees for tenant introduction service only - one off cost only or on going?
      by lauireb
      Normally the let only deal would be a one off fee charge by the agent. Expect to pay around £250-£350+vat depending on agent and location....
      19-08-2022, 11:09 AM
    • Fees for tenant introduction service only - one off cost only or on going?
      by CraigWB
      Hello, I’ve taken on an agent on the basis that they will find me a tenant, reference them, prepare the contract, do check in inventory, register deposit etc etc and once all completed hand me the reigns to collect rent and manage the property myself

Initially we discussed a one off...
      05-07-2022, 16:43 PM
    • Tenant vs licensee
      by Ven
      Hello,

Long storry short, ive paid booking fee to one agency, and after finishing reference checks they send me agreement, where im being described as licensee and they as licensors.
      This wasnt mentioned anywhere in the spareroom advertisement.
      is it possible to cancel the booking...
      16-08-2022, 13:47 PM
    • Reply to Tenant vs licensee
      by doobrey
      Agree with the above.

Ven, I would advise you to politely but firmly request immediate refund of the fee that you paid. If there is resistance, quote the Tenant Fees Act 2019.

Assuming that the agency you have been dealing with is a letting agent, it is required by law to be...
      17-08-2022, 10:24 AM
      by jpkeates
      Not only are you right (and I am, therefore, wrong), but I've made the same mistake before.

Apologies!
      And thanks for the correction....
      17-08-2022, 07:15 AM
      by DoricPixie
      The Tenant Fees Act 2019 does not just apply to Assured Shorthold Tenancies. It also applies to licences to occupy so providing we are talking about a property in England you should not have been charged for the reference check. The penalty for a first offense of breaching the Act can be as much as...
      17-08-2022, 06:45 AM
      by doobrey
      It is a strange setup if an agency is describing themselves as a licensor. Generally, an agent acts for a landlord (or perhaps licensor). Typically they do not let their own property. Some do, but in that case they are a business and seem very unlikely to be a resident landlord, in which case a lodger...
      17-08-2022, 06:00 AM
      by jpkeates
      I don't think they can object if you say no, it's not what you thought it was from the advert.
      I don't think they can do anything (other than maybe not rent to you in future - but I don't see why they would do that, I'd bet this has happened before).

I'd ask for a draft tenancy agreement...
      16-08-2022, 16:51 PM
      by Ven
      How can I peacefuly decline to sign their offer?
      is there anything they can do to harm me?
      how can i stop this occuring in the future? Perhaps i would need to ask to see draft of tenancy agreement before paying holding deposit?...
      16-08-2022, 16:32 PM
      by jpkeates
      No, but I think you're overthinking it.

If they have the right to enter your room at any time, it is trying to be a licence agreement, not an tenancy.
      But my guess is that they make their money letting rooms not taking fees for referencing or non-returnable deposits (although they'll...
      16-08-2022, 16:27 PM
    Working...
    X