Letting Agent only offered a 6 months tenancy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agent only offered a 6 months tenancy.

Two Questions (Please)
    (1) When I used my letting agent to advertise my property they had loads of enquiries and only offered the tenant a 6 months lease, But am I correct in that they could have offered a 12 months lease. Instead.
    It appears that over the last 3 tenancies after the first 6 months they have charged £350 to draw up another 6 month lease whereas if they had originally offered a 121 month lease this "mid term" charge of £350 would have been avoided,
    So this question is "Can a 12 month lease only be offered at the start of the tenancy ?

(2) My present tenant has been in for 4 months and does not want a new lease but wants to continue on a rolling lease, But the Letting Agent wants £50 to continue the Deposit Protection,
    So this question is, Is there a difference in cost of protecting a deposit between a 6 month tenancy and a 12 month tenancy as presumably if a 12 month tenancy is entered into then there would not be a £50 charge for extending it ?

All replies gratefully received.

1 - A tenancy agreement can have an initial or fixed term of any length (up to three years).
    That's true at the start or at any other point.

Starting a new tenancy at six months is very sensible and I do that all the time.
    Giving a new tenancy to someone you don't know for anything longer is simply adding risk.

2 - The tenant is being sensible and also saving you £350 - there's no need for any renewal.

The agent's fee for the small amount of admin required for the deposit is probably a bit high, but also possibly the smallest amount of charge its worth them making.

Remember that you want your letting agent to be in business and profitable.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      1 - A tenancy agreement can have an initial or fixed term of any length (up to three years).
      That's true at the start or at any other point.

Starting a new tenancy at six months is very sensible and I do that all the time.
      Giving a new tenancy to someone you don't know for anything longer is simply adding risk.

2 - The tenant is being sensible and also saving you £350 - there's no need for any renewal.

The agent's fee for the small amount of admin required for the deposit is probably a bit high, but also possibly the smallest amount of charge its worth them making.

Remember that you want your letting agent to be in business and profitable.
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

A sixth month fixed term is preferred in my view for the reason given above.

I have never been charged by an agent for continuing the deposit protection on a tenancy when it goes periodic.
        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post
          I have never been charged by an agent for continuing the deposit protection on a tenancy when it goes periodic.
          With at least one deposit scheme, you have to log in and change the type of tenancy to 'periodic' once the AST term has ended.

That's what they're charging £50 for. Excessive, in my opinion, as it takes a couple of minutes to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Fine Mess View Post
            the Letting Agent wants £50 to continue the Deposit Protection
            You have an agreement with the agent, and they may have a list of fees. Is this charge mentioned?

I might be inclined to push back on it to a greater or lesser extent, depending what has been said.
            There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Agent vs Open Rent
              by annam222
              Hello all,
              I wondered if anyone could give me some advice please.
              Tenants who have been renting my one bed flat for the past three years have just given notice that they will be moving out. I have used a local agent on a ‘let & rent collection’ basis which has worked well but they...
              20-06-2022, 20:07 PM
            • Reply to Agent vs Open Rent
              by annam222
              boletus Thank you, that is what I am
              a little worried about- the flat is in London so expect there could be a lot of interest but possibly a high majority of them not be the tenants I am looking for.
              I would prefer to take my time talking to potential tenants and arranging viewings rather...
              28-06-2022, 20:28 PM
              by boletus
              I wouldn't use 'Rent Now'.

If I advertise a property today I'll get over 50 enquiries, the majority will be unsuitable.
              Most of those will want to rent now.
              Many will offer to rent sight unseen.
              Some will offer 6 month's rent upfront sight unseen.

Advertising...
              28-06-2022, 09:55 AM
              by annam222
              Thank you everyone so much. I have the advert ready to go live but will wait until Thursday/Friday to publish it. I am keen to use Open Rent for referencing but as suggested will also follow up each myself. Does anyone have a view on whether the Open Rent £29 'Ultimate Advertising' or £49 'Rent Now'...
              27-06-2022, 20:09 PM
            • Reply to Newbie needing serious advice!
              by Lawcruncher
              Conveyancers fall into two broad categories:

Good ones

Not so good ones

Those in either category can be solicitors, licensed conveyancers or chartered legal executives. Each of those do roughly the same amount of training and have studied the law needed...
              27-06-2022, 19:14 PM
            • Newbie needing serious advice!
              by steeveyboy64
              Hi All. I am very new to all of this and need some guidance. I am at the point where I am about to purchase a holiday letting chalet in Lincolnshire. Unfortunately the banana skin has been delivered in that the 3rd party solicitors are indicating that I can NOT use a 3rd party agent platform to advertised...
              26-06-2022, 14:15 PM
              by SouthernDave
              Lawcruncher gives good advice.
              interesting question, is your ‘solicitor’ actually a solicitor? Or are they some rubbish high street conveyancer?...
              27-06-2022, 18:11 PM
              by nukecad
              "No 3rd party letting agenrs approved" is not the same thing as 'no 3rd party agents allowed'.

So it depends on what you sign up to.whether you can use an "unapproved" 3rd party letting service or not.
              27-06-2022, 17:09 PM
              by islandgirl
              It seems odd that the only objection is the hirer via booking.com not getting a copy of the rules etc. That would be super easy to deal with!
              27-06-2022, 16:46 PM
              by royw
              Find an owner and ask them? It's possible they have a different lease.
              The sentence that says you're responsible for your guests needs investigating imo....
              27-06-2022, 10:29 AM
            Working...
            X