estate agent new lettings delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

estate agent new lettings delays

I have recently advertised a property for let using a local independent estate agent. This will be the first time I have let a property, given a lack of any rentals in the area, the agents were keen and advertised said property at beginning of a week for multiple viewings together at the the end of that same week. We had 5 or so offers, some impractical (ie tenant would not earn enough to cover the rent). We decided to progress checks on two sharers who claimed to earn more than a certain amount.

I have a copy of the standard estate agency agreement but nothing has yet been signed despite chasing. The lettings manager did not seem keen to sign a contract at that point. After an initial good engagement, emails go answered and there seems a lack of clarity over things like length of the tenancy agreement and dates. Despite an apparently dire shortage of places to rent there is no urgency.

The two tenants are in the process of referencing, but one has apparently still not yet done the process two weeks after the viewings took place.

I have also been written to by other local agencies, i assume they get the property owners details from the land registry, saying I can proceed with them at the same time.

I asked for a copy of their standard tenancy agreement and also the agency contract to be sent, and that was not done, this has started to bother me slightly.

Should I just wait and see what happens? Can anyone advise at what point the landlord undertakes a formal contract/agreement with the agency? I am looking for fully managed so this is a bit troubling.

I think you need to give notice to the existing firm. If you engage someone else before your sole agency runs out, you'll have two lots of commission to pay.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Not answering your queries does sound unprofessional, on the other hand if they are still awaiting the T's to complete the credit and reference checks this could be the hold up. I would probably give the agent and the T's one additional week, otherwise you are terminating any agreement.

Comment

Remove your instructions now (hopefully nil to pay) - and don't choose any tenants already passed on. You need to know the name of every tenant that contacted them to avoid a problem. Ask them to disclose that (if they refuse you are absolved if you happen to get the same tenant so make sure it is documented)

Comment

AndrewDod,

thanks, I am certainly favouring this approach. But any idea why they are messing around in this fashion? I suspect we will be charged for referencing.

Comment

The agent did the referencing, so the charges are probably fair.
            They've also done the advertising and the viewing, so you're going to owe them for that as well.

You've got some kind of contract with them, because you've agreed "something" and they've done some work.
            I'd write and cancel the agreement - the lack of a written agreement and their crap service is enough to argue that they're not competent and shouldn't have any more of your business.
            But there's some kind of contract and there are going to be some costs to pay.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would go to the Estate Agency and ask to speak to the manager, Some firms when someone goes on holiday dont like passing on work to someone eles as they have to share the commission, Like solicitors where when one goes on holiday the job stops.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Agent vs Open Rent
                by annam222
                Hello all,
                I wondered if anyone could give me some advice please.
                Tenants who have been renting my one bed flat for the past three years have just given notice that they will be moving out. I have used a local agent on a ‘let & rent collection’ basis which has worked well but they...
                20-06-2022, 20:07 PM
              • Reply to Agent vs Open Rent
                by annam222
                boletus Thank you, that is what I am
                a little worried about- the flat is in London so expect there could be a lot of interest but possibly a high majority of them not be the tenants I am looking for.
                I would prefer to take my time talking to potential tenants and arranging viewings rather...
                28-06-2022, 20:28 PM
                by boletus
                I wouldn't use 'Rent Now'.

If I advertise a property today I'll get over 50 enquiries, the majority will be unsuitable.
                Most of those will want to rent now.
                Many will offer to rent sight unseen.
                Some will offer 6 month's rent upfront sight unseen.

Advertising...
                28-06-2022, 09:55 AM
                by annam222
                Thank you everyone so much. I have the advert ready to go live but will wait until Thursday/Friday to publish it. I am keen to use Open Rent for referencing but as suggested will also follow up each myself. Does anyone have a view on whether the Open Rent £29 'Ultimate Advertising' or £49 'Rent Now'...
                27-06-2022, 20:09 PM
              • Reply to Newbie needing serious advice!
                by Lawcruncher
                Conveyancers fall into two broad categories:

Good ones

Not so good ones

Those in either category can be solicitors, licensed conveyancers or chartered legal executives. Each of those do roughly the same amount of training and have studied the law needed...
                27-06-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Newbie needing serious advice!
                by steeveyboy64
                Hi All. I am very new to all of this and need some guidance. I am at the point where I am about to purchase a holiday letting chalet in Lincolnshire. Unfortunately the banana skin has been delivered in that the 3rd party solicitors are indicating that I can NOT use a 3rd party agent platform to advertised...
                26-06-2022, 14:15 PM
                by SouthernDave
                Lawcruncher gives good advice.
                interesting question, is your ‘solicitor’ actually a solicitor? Or are they some rubbish high street conveyancer?...
                27-06-2022, 18:11 PM
                by nukecad
                "No 3rd party letting agenrs approved" is not the same thing as 'no 3rd party agents allowed'.

So it depends on what you sign up to.whether you can use an "unapproved" 3rd party letting service or not.
                27-06-2022, 17:09 PM
                by islandgirl
                It seems odd that the only objection is the hirer via booking.com not getting a copy of the rules etc. That would be super easy to deal with!
                27-06-2022, 16:46 PM
                by royw
                Find an owner and ask them? It's possible they have a different lease.
                The sentence that says you're responsible for your guests needs investigating imo....
                27-06-2022, 10:29 AM
              Working...
              X