Hefty Agency fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hefty Agency fee

HI all, I have recently bought a property and continued with the existing Agency management. I would now like to break away from the agency so I have given them the 2 months notice stipulated in the management contract. This also coincides with the end of the 12 month AST which then goes into a rolling contract.

The agency are wanting a hefty sum to break the contract as I have not terminated the AST, only the management contract. This is a condition of the contract.

My question is this - would you give the tenants the 2 months notice to coincide with the end of the management (including one month’s rolling) but at the same time provide the tenants with a new AST to start when the agency version finishes??

I have already spoken with the tenants direct and they would like to stay for another 12 months minimum.

Thanks everyone.

You can't terminate the AST without retaking possession of the property and ending the tenancy.
    Giving notice as a landlord has no effect without a court order and, unless the agency contract is useless, that won't be enough.

Letting agents need to make money and their agreements are usually specifically aimed at preventing landlords using their service to find tenants and then getting rid of the agent when they find a great long terms tenant who seems to need little management.
    The agent's business model is usually that they make a small amount of money for a long a term as possible with the decent tenants subsidising the pain in the bum ones that no one wants.

So, yes, they'll charge you to change that model.

It's possible the charge is so great as to be unfair, but you'd need a court to decide that.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Did you sign an agreement with the agency, when you bought the property?

Comment

Please set out the wording of the condition.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
          Did you sign an agreement with the agency, when you bought the property?
          Yes I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            Please set out the wording of the condition.
            'These Terms cannot be terminated by the Landlord during the period of an AST entered into by a Tenant. If the Landlord wishes ECMML to cease providing the Management Service, it shall provide ECMML with written notice (to be issued no later than two (2) months prior to the date the AST is to conclude and the Tenant is to vacate the Property), otherwise these Terms shall automatically re-new for each new AST. If the landlord ends the management contract in contradiction with clause 23.2 then a termination fee of £1250 + VAT will become due immediately.'

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to estate agent new lettings delays
              by Plithenewark
              thanks, I am certainly favouring this approach. But any idea why they are messing around in this fashion? I suspect we will be charged for referencing....
              15-05-2022, 16:50 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Remove your instructions now (hopefully nil to pay) - and don't choose any tenants already passed on. You need to know the name of every tenant that contacted them to avoid a problem. Ask them to disclose that (if they refuse you are absolved if you happen to get the same tenant so make sure it is ...
              14-05-2022, 21:34 PM
            • estate agent new lettings delays
              by Plithenewark
              I have recently advertised a property for let using a local independent estate agent. This will be the first time I have let a property, given a lack of any rentals in the area, the agents were keen and advertised said property at beginning of a week for multiple viewings together at the the end of...
              14-05-2022, 17:16 PM
              by ash72
              Not answering your queries does sound unprofessional, on the other hand if they are still awaiting the T's to complete the credit and reference checks this could be the hold up. I would probably give the agent and the T's one additional week, otherwise you are terminating any agreement.
              14-05-2022, 20:14 PM
              by JK0
              I think you need to give notice to the existing firm. If you engage someone else before your sole agency runs out, you'll have two lots of commission to pay.
              14-05-2022, 19:09 PM
            • Confusion with Letting Agreements vs Tenancy Agreements
              by abimsalabim
              If the Letting Agreement between a Landlord and their Letting Agent and the Tenancy Agreement between the Landlord, their Tenant and their Letting Agent have conflicting clauses which of them is right?

For example, if the Letting Agreement states that the inventory checks will cost £100...
              21-04-2022, 11:11 AM
            • Reply to Confusion with Letting Agreements vs Tenancy Agreements
              by abimsalabim
              Thanks for all the help and advice with this. I've opted to get my own inventory check done instead of going with that of the Letting Agency and they agreed to it.
              13-05-2022, 17:35 PM
            • Agent Advice in Essex
              by Donchik
              Dear all,
              Does anyone recommend any review sites for letting agents that are based on the satisfaction of the Landlords, rather than the tenants?
              If not would anyone with experience of dealing with agents in Essex have any recommendations/advice?
              Cheers
              06-05-2022, 09:35 AM
            • Follow on Letting Agreement
              by thefirz
              I have a great tenant and the previous Agreement has expired. I have instructed the Agent to draft a follow on Agreement (for a defined fee) but with the rent collection service removed.

During the life of the last Agreement the Agent revised its T&Cs from those I signed up to. These...
              30-04-2022, 09:07 AM
            • Reply to Follow on Letting Agreement
              by ash72
              Either replace the agent if you live far away from the property, or self manage and cut out any agent.
              30-04-2022, 11:55 AM
            Working...
            X