Letting Agent Pushing Tenants

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    Landlords have always had to register.
    Ah, I was thinking from the article I linked to that with the ICO writing to the real estate sector it was a new thing but really it’s an old thing that landlords should always have been doing.

    Comment


      #17
      Sack the agent, he still thinks it's his decision not yours. Your property, your decision.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by royw View Post
        Sack the agent, he still thinks it's his decision not yours. Your property, your decision.
        It certainly seems that way from the wording used in the email.

        Comment


          #19
          I didn’t go with the tenant in the end. Too many red flags for my liking and not just the lack of affordability.

          The property is back on the market with the same agency although it is being advertised at a higher rent than it was last month. The sceptic in me is a bit suspicious about that.

          I’ll give it a couple of weeks and in the meantime I’ll start teeing up a new agency.

          Comment


            #20
            It's now October and the property is still empty. After rejecting the tenant the letting agency re-advertised my property at 10% more rent than the advert in August. I queried this but the agent said it was fine. No viewings. The rent was reduced, still higher than in August. A couple of viewings and one interested in the property but I have to keep chasing for information.

            Whilst this is going on I've been contacting other letting agencies because this now the 3rd month without rent because of the current agent. Sigh.

            Comment


              #21
              How does the rent compare to other similar properties? Any reason yours isn't popular? Or perhaps it's the agent teaching you a lesson. Get a mate to enquire about it and see how keen they are to get a tenant. Personally I'd either put it with another agent or better still advertise it with openrent and do your own viewings. That way you get feedback if there's something people don't like.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post
                I live overseas
                ----------

                There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post
                  After rejecting the tenant the letting agency re-advertised my property at 10% more rent than the advert in August. I queried this but the agent said it was fine. No viewings. The rent was reduced, still higher than in August. A couple of viewings and one interested in the property but I have to keep chasing for information
                  I have had similar problems in the past (same city as you, as it happens). This one was a real facepalm from about a year ago:

                  Our viewing agent has contacted me and passed on a few comments made by the person whom she was showing your flat to yesterday – I thought it worth passing these across to you for your information.

                  One of the mattress protectors... is quite badly stained
                  This was from the agent that manages the property. That was responsible for the checkout of previous tenants, inspections, reletting, etc. After it had been on the market for about a month and had had several viewings.
                  There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by royw View Post
                    How does the rent compare to other similar properties? Any reason yours isn't popular? Or perhaps it's the agent teaching you a lesson. Get a mate to enquire about it and see how keen they are to get a tenant. Personally I'd either put it with another agent or better still advertise it with openrent and do your own viewings. That way you get feedback if there's something people don't like.
                    The advertised rent is too high, that's it. When it was advertised back in August, when the letting agency decided to push the tenants who couldn't afford it, there were over 10 people at the first viewing. In September at the elevated rent hardly any viewings. I'm not sure if I am being paranoid but I think the letting agency is trying to punish me. Oh, and when I checked the advert, I think they only advertise on their own website, it had the wrong CT band! The one on the advert was higher. A neighbour has a very similar address to mine and I have repeatedly told the agent they are using the wrong address. Grrrr!

                    I live on the other side of the world so I can't do the viewings myself. In fact if I weren't on the other side of the world I would be living in the property myself. I do have a friend in the city who is also a landlord and has offered to do the viewings for me but that could be a big inconvenience for her.

                    I've been speaking with another letting agent in the area and the suggest rent they came back with is bang on what I think the property can realistically rent for in the current market.

                    I am at the stage now of deciding whether it is worth continuing to let the property or not. I expect to be back living in the property again in 2 years time. Could I just keep it empty for the next two years? Would that be less hassle. My parents live in another city and I wonder if they might stay at my property once a month and I have other people nearby who could check weekly to keep up with the T&C of unoccupied insurance.

                    My mortgage is with Nationwide so I have to pay an extra 1% for CTL. Take that off and that would cover the council tax. I'll need to have a really good think about things but I am almost certain that the relationship with the current letting agent has broken down.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by doobrey View Post

                      I have had similar problems in the past (same city as you, as it happens). This one was a real facepalm from about a year ago:



                      This was from the agent that manages the property. That was responsible for the checkout of previous tenants, inspections, reletting, etc. After it had been on the market for about a month and had had several viewings.
                      Absolutely pathetic. I'm not sure if there is a decent letting agent in the entire city. Most seem to have one individual who is the acceptable face of the agency and appears competent only for your property to be handed over to a colleague who either doesn't care or is as thick as two short planks. (I've just woken up an I am grumpy.)

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Another one I had at around the same time as the issue described in post #23 was the matter of the inverted mattress.

                        Having been quite alarmed by the levels of competence indicated by the report about the stained mattress protector, I travelled approx 500 miles to the property to see for myself. I found that under the stained mattress protector (which had been left largely removed from the mattress) the mattress itself was upside down. This mattress had a soft upper surface and a coarse hard-wearing underside, and an obvious right way up. When I made this observation the response was -

                        It wasn’t our viewing agent who turned it upside down.
                        Again, this from the agent who manages the property.
                        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          If you trust your friend would it be an option to pay her to be your agent? Leaving it empty is always possible but it brings it's own problems. You need to decide what to do about heating. An unheated house will get damp but leaving it on will obviously cost you. You may want to drain the pipes to prevent bursts but then it won't be comfortable for anyone staying.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by doobrey View Post
                            Another one I had at around the same time as the issue described in post #23 was the matter of the inverted mattress.

                            Having been quite alarmed by the levels of competence indicated by the report about the stained mattress protector, I travelled approx 500 miles to the property to see for myself. I found that under the stained mattress protector (which had been left largely removed from the mattress) the mattress itself was upside down. This mattress had a soft upper surface and a coarse hard-wearing underside, and an obvious right way up. When I made this observation the response was -



                            Again, this from the agent who manages the property.
                            Jesus wept

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by royw View Post
                              If you trust your friend would it be an option to pay her to be your agent? Leaving it empty is always possible but it brings it's own problems. You need to decide what to do about heating. An unheated house will get damp but leaving it on will obviously cost you. You may want to drain the pipes to prevent bursts but then it won't be comfortable for anyone staying.
                              The boiler has a frost setting and because I have consent to let on my mortgage I have to pay an extra 1% interest. I think I will approach my friend about acting as the agent. I'll also continue sounding out the other agent.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by DoricPixie View Post

                                The boiler has a frost setting and because I have consent to let on my mortgage I have to pay an extra 1% interest. I think I will approach my friend about acting as the agent. I'll also continue sounding out the other agent.
                                I spend long periods out of the UK, and i pay a good friend to carry out checks etc. I don't use an agent. Providing you have a good plumber, handyman and electrician you can call on an agent is superfluous.

                                Comment

                                Latest Activity

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X