Agent closed/insolvent/dissolved/in liquidation/disappeared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincolnshire Agent Eleys (Trading since 1882) has been put into liquidation owing £500,000 it is believed £150,000 was Landord/Tenants money, I did read here sometime ago that Arla audited client accounts on a monthly basis, clearly this is not the case, could ARLA just be another logo on a letterhead..
    "Better an empty property than a tenant without a guarantor"

http://www.arla.co.uk/news/100807.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Sportingdad View Post
      Lincolnshire Agent Eleys (Trading since 1882) has been put into liquidation owing £500,000 it is believed £150,000 was Landord/Tenants money, I did read here sometime ago that Arla audited client accounts on a monthly basis, clearly this is not the case, could ARLA just be another logo on a letterhead..
      Clients' money should have been held in a separate ring-fenced trust account. If so, it is preserved from trade creditors for repayment to each person (L or T) entitled.

PS: the other less-serious posts are now on a separate "Take a Break" thread; obviously they're ring-fenced too!
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Sportingdad View Post

At the previous company I worked for, we were only audited yearly for ARLA, not monthly.

Comment

Hi,

I have just discovered that my current letting agents "Property Base" n sidcup are going into liquidation.

I am owed 1 months rent and the tennants have been told that they will lose their deposit.

Can anyone help me with what the process will be now this has been announced and can I just cut ties with the agents and arrange a new short term lease with the tennants privately as I am very happy with them.

Any help or ifo will be greatly appreciated.

Rubin

Comment

first of all you dont have to arrange another tenancy as agreement should be between L and T anyway but best check thats what your agreement states.

with regards to the rent you have lost - seems unfortunate but nothing you can do about this.

The deposit however is a diff matter, if tenancy commenced after 6th apr 2007 then it should be protected. Tenancy should have certificate stating this if so. If not im afraid as contract is between L and T then you as L are liable for its return.

I recently took over from another agent who went into receivership too and as and when each tenant leaves I have to inform the Landlord that they are liable - not very nice -but legally they are obliged to refund the monies subject to checking the house of course.

good luck.

Comment

Agent insolvent/vanished/ceased trading

Our agent has done a runner with 3 months rent and our deposit. The owner of the house is aware that its not our fault and wont be asking us to pay again, he is sueing the agent.

Thing is, the home owner is saying we should contact the agent (who we cant, as hes gone) to get our deposit back but ive been informed that the home owner is responsible for the deposit regardless to wheather the agent gave the landlord it or not and we can get it from him when we leave and should not worry about what the agents doing. Can anyone put me at ease if this is correct. . . . Worst case senario, when we leave, we sue home owner for deposit, he then in turn sues agent. Is this right ?

Secondly. The home owner wants us to pay him direct, trouble is even though the agent has bunked we would still be breaking out agreement if we dont pay him so in theory he could then evict us for bypassing him and going direct to home owner.

Our agreement never mentioned the home owners name or address and we still dont know his address.... The only reason we know who he is is through friends and this was long after we moved in we discovered this.

This was a AST but that ran out in 2005 and no contract has been signed since.

We have asked him to write something up if he wants paying direct but he says he wont untill after he has been to court with the agent. I have the rent and dont have a problem paying but I dont want to leave myself unprotected in the eyes of the law. The is literally nothing on paper with my name and the home owners name as an agreement. Would handing over the rent (obviously ill get a reciept) be a bad thing before getting an agreement ?

Anyone got any comments.... Ill try and answer any questions you need to know. I know ive not been to clear but im very very stressed. Hope you understand.

Comment

The Agent is L's agent, not yours. A principal is liable for an agent's misdeeds, so L is as far as you're concerned.
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by mkgal
                  Im sorry i dont understand what your saying.

Im not to clued up with the lingo, could you say it clearer.

Sorry
                  1. Landlord (L) has a contract with tenant (T), i.e. you. That is the tenancy.
                  2. L also has a contract with Agent (A). That is an agency contract.
                  3. So L is the "principal" who appoints an agent to do what L could have done personally.
                  4. T has no contract with A. Post #1 starts with "Our agent...", but he isn't!
                  5. Hence L is liable to T for any losses caused by A's actions or omissions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkgal View Post
                    Our agent has done a runner with 3 months rent and our deposit. The owner of the house is aware that its not our fault and wont be asking us to pay again, he is sueing the agent.

Thing is, the home owner is saying we should contact the agent (who we cant, as hes gone) to get our deposit back but ive been informed that the home owner is responsible for the deposit regardless to wheather the agent gave the landlord it or not and we can get it from him when we leave and should not worry about what the agents doing. Can anyone put me at ease if this is correct. . . . Worst case senario, when we leave, we sue home owner for deposit, he then in turn sues agent. Is this right ?
                    no the landlord is responsible for returning your deposit to you regardless as contract is between landlord and tenant.

Secondly. The home owner wants us to pay him direct, trouble is even though the agent has bunked we would still be breaking out agreement if we dont pay him so in theory he could then evict us for bypassing him and going direct to home owner.
                    no your contract is to pay the rent and therefore by paying the landlord direct you are doing right

Our agreement never mentioned the home owners name or address and we still dont know his address.... The only reason we know who he is is through friends and this was long after we moved in we discovered this.
                    speak to him and get this.

This was a AST but that ran out in 2005 and no contract has been signed since.
                    an AST continues as a periodic tenancy so dont worry about this you still have a contract

We have asked him to write something up if he wants paying direct but he says he wont untill after he has been to court with the agent. I have the rent and dont have a problem paying but I dont want to leave myself unprotected in the eyes of the law. The is literally nothing on paper with my name and the home owners name as an agreement. Would handing over the rent (obviously ill get a reciept) be a bad thing before getting an agreement ?
                    no just keep proof of payment or pay him by standing order

Anyone got any comments.... Ill try and answer any questions you need to know. I know ive not been to clear but im very very stressed. Hope you understand.
                    hope this helps.
                    Last edited by Editor; 30-07-2008, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Agent ceased trading and breached contract

Hi, new to the forum, just after a bit of advice.

Our first BTL experience, we employed a letting agent and they found us tenants for 6 months.

3 months into this, we had a letter saying they were ceasing trading with immediate effect. In the intial contract it stated that either party needed to give 3 months notice.

Also they suggested that we went to another letting agent, one that their daughter had become a partner in! All our details including bank details and tenant details were passed to this company and we received correspondence from the new company with all these details on their headed paper.

We decided not to go with the other company as it was not local, and well outside the area that we were in.

Our tenants move out shortly and the original letting agents are refusing to carry out the checkout process, despite us requesting this.

So we are left to carry out this checkout procedure ourselves.

Was the letting agent legally allowed to end the contract early?
                      Have we got a leg to stand on?

We feel like they have just had an arrogant disregard for us as landlords and we want to make life as difficult for them as we can, because we feel they should have some responsibility. Afterall, if we broke the contract as landlords then i think they would have something to say about it!

Any advice is welcome.

Leffeman

Comment

The contract is binding on firm 1, whether they like it or not. Was firm 1 a sole trader, partnership, or limited company?

The contract cannot be transferred by firm 1 to firm 2, unless:
                        a. firm 1 is merged into firm 2; or
                        b. you consent.

Comment

Firm 1 was a franchise, run by a family based at their home, so not sure what they would be classified as. They basically said in the cancellation letter that they were unable to negotiate satisfactory terms and that was the reason for ceasing trade.

A quote from them in a recent email was- "You will be aware that any contract can be varied when both parties agree".

My point is to them, that we didn't have any choice. They are saying they offered same terms with firm 2, but that firm was not in the local area and when it would have come to the end of the lease we'd have had to find local agents at that point to market the property anyway. So i think that offer was unreasonable.

Just don't know where to go next!??

Comment

"Franchise" does not really answer question of firm 1's status. If it was a sole trader or partnership, the person/s concerned will remain inescapably bound until the Agreement expires or otherwise ends (e.g. in accordance with its contents, or if the person/s died). If it was a limited company, that remains true- but a second company acquiring it might liquidate it (thereby ending its existence).

Comment

It would appear the husband and wife are in Partnership together.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Letting agent removed property
                                Endlessnine3
                                Not sure if this is in the right place

My bro got arrested and remanded in custody and within a week his letting agent emptied his room of all his property ie TV sofa clothes ect
                                When I questioned him he said there had been a burglary and everything was taken he then said all the...
                                20-05-2019, 21:45 PM
                              • Reply to Letting agent removed property
                                Jon66
                                Pretty awful letting agents. Hope you get redress.
                                10-07-2019, 19:56 PM
                              • Lease Renewal Fee
                                MaxStrong
                                Hi,

I’m a novice landlord based in Scotland. My letting agent charges me 12.5% and every 6 months I had a flat rate lease renewal fee of £80.

With fairly recent changes to do away with Short Term Tenancies, I understand they cannot charge a lease renewal fee as they don’t...
                                09-07-2019, 20:26 PM
                              • Reply to Lease Renewal Fee
                                jpkeates
                                Have a look at the company accounts or google them to see if they make any finance based announcements.
                                That'll give you some idea how profitable their business is.

Part of the issue with letting agents is that good ones are difficult to find and doing the job well is much more expensive...
                                10-07-2019, 08:40 AM
                              • Reply to Letting agent removed property
                                Endlessnine3
                                Last one got taken down because {Mod - name removed} didn't like that the address of his office was on it so here it is again

{Mod - Video link removed}
                                09-07-2019, 17:45 PM
                              • Jupix dashboard help
                                Taiko
                                Hi all,
                                Hoping you could help me, anyone know how to find my Jupix 'passphrase'?

Its the unique URL that my branch uses to upload my properties to portals. I need it to link to a plugin for a new website and I can't find it anywhere
                                Any help on where on my dashboard to find...
                                09-07-2019, 10:35 AM
                              • Reply to Jupix dashboard help
                                ash72
                                Contact the software company themselves, you would get the right answer from them rather than this forum.
                                09-07-2019, 16:23 PM
                              • Property Ombudsman
                                M Clavell
                                My disputes with my letting agent re payments and application of the TFA now seem likely to go to the next stage, I.e. the TPO or legal action. I would be interested to hear the experiences of landlords who’ve been down the TPO route, i.e. length of time for resolution (TPO quote 3-4 months), apparent...
                                03-07-2019, 17:03 PM
                              • Reply to Property Ombudsman
                                M Clavell
                                Tenants Fees Act and The Property Ombudsman.
                                03-07-2019, 18:03 PM
                              • Reply to Property Ombudsman
                                Berlingogirl
                                Well, I for one, don't know what TFA and TPO are
                                03-07-2019, 17:41 PM
                              Working...
                              X