The letting agent charged me more that we have agreed before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The letting agent charged me more that we have agreed before

My letting agent helped me to look for furniture package few months ago. Before I agreed to purchase the furniture package, the agent sent me the quotation. As I agreed with the items and the price in the quotation, I transferred money and agreed him to purchase that package.

However, I found that the furniture package cost more than I have agreed to when I checked the statement recently. As I asked my letting agent about the increased cost, he then sent me the invoice, and I found that some of the furniture were changed, so the cost increased.

Moreover, the cost of rent guarantee was just £139 when I signed the letting agreement, but it turned out to be £198.

The letting agent just said that they forgot to inform me about the price change, and apologized for the mistakes.

However, I do not think I should not pay for the extra cost since I was never informed by the letting agent.

What should I do?

Someone selling you a service can't charge more than you have agreed to pay for it without your agreement.
    "Forgetting to tell you" isn't a valid reason, and, broadly speaking, it's their oversight and should be their cost.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I totally agree with your view.

In fact, the letting agent has already charged me from my rent income, and I knew it after I checked the statement.

As I discussed these issues with my letting agent, they just replied that they would look into the matters.

I will give them time to look into it, but I am worried that it is just a stalling strategy.

Any advises if the letting agent stalls it, or even refuse to refund to me?

Comment

They are required to be registered with a redress scheme, so that is probably your next port of call. You have to take it up with the agent first (as you have), but if they do not respond within a given period of time you can escalate it.

First of all, check which redress scheme they are registered with. (And asking them [the agent] the question can be a useful card to have up your sleeve, since it makes a point in itself.)

Get all communications on this matter in writing. If something is discussed verbally, follow up the conversation with an email to summarise.
        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

I have no experience in seeking help from redress scheme for letting agent issue. what redress scheme can do to settle this issue?

Since I still rely on this letting agent to manage my rental issue, how can I prevent the letting agent from making small tricks to revenge me after I report this issue to redress scheme ?

Comment

Originally posted by Timonthy View Post
            Since I still rely on this letting agent to manage my rental issue, how can I prevent the letting agent from making small tricks to revenge me after I report this issue to redress scheme ?
            There's nothing you can do about that.
            You'd hope the agent is sufficiently professional to sort out what is a very minor issue.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              You'd hope the agent is sufficiently professional to sort out what is a very minor issue.
              Sadly, by "forgetting to tell" the LL of a price increase, and then not instantly refunding him for their error, it suggests the LA is far from professional.

Time for a new LA ----- AND a complaint to their redress scheme.
              My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X