Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling Fees - Marketing Strategy

Hi

I had an agent round to value a property - I did have it in mind to go with this particular agency but by the time the guy had left me, I had felt really pressurised to sign up and I am kicking myself that I fell for his patter. All the agents around here are 1% plus VAT but he gave me all the spill etc and I signed up at 1.25%, which based on his selling figures will be a minimum of £9K.

I can't help but think this is a ridiculous amount and I'm regretting signing up. I am no-where near ready to have the property marketed and I haven't agreed to any photos or board or anything. Can I change my mind and tell them I don't want to sell through them after all? I only wanted to sign up for 6 weeks but he said no, it had to be 12 week sole agency etc.

What really annoys me is that I had a figure in mind of what the house was worth but he was adamant that it was worth at least £25k more. For this reason he was saying that's why he is worth the extra .25%. So after I finally gave in and agreed to his costs. I signed on the dotted line. After this, he then said, OK, we will market it at offers over £XXX - but this figure is £25k less than what he insisted it was worth. I pointed out that this is not what he told me but he said this gets people in and then the offers will come in.

I tried saying 1 %, but then if you get me the additional £25k, I'd be less unhappy about paying the 1.25%.

I don't suppose I can get out of this agreement can I?

I used to work for an estate agency (as a mortgage adviser) who were part of a national group of local estate agency chains.

Their business model was to over-estimate the potential sale price to the vendor and have higher fees, a combination of which ended up in a net gain for the vendor when compared to their competitors. Of course, many vendors found themselves advised to drop the price once it became clear that the property was not going to sell at the initial price.

Unfortunately, by that time, the vendor was tied into a contract with the agency and ended up worse off than going with a competitor agency once they sold.

I'm afraid you've been had

Comment

You've got 14 day cooling off period to cancel , or if he didn't tell you that, you can cancel at anytime .
      Personally I would give it a week for them to invest some time then ring up and say you've changed your mind about selling
      He will probably offer you the 1% then !!

Comment

Unless you signed the agreement at the agent's premises you have a 14 day cooling off period and can cancel the agreement.
        If they've spent any money, they can ask you to pay them for it, but I'd guess not (and, even if they have it will be cheaper than .25%)
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I just had a call with CAB and basically they are in breach of contract for mis-representation of how much the property is valued at and advertised at. Hopefully, this will end OK with them simply revising their fees.

Comment

All has gone ok. Letting agent issued me with revised contract.

Comment

I'm a bit late to this thread Claymore, but I was going to tell you to relax. Any time I've agreed a high commission rate, the estate agent has moved heaven & earth to find me a buyer. Any time I've negotiated a lower commission, they do as little as possible.

Comment

I get what you are saying JKO. I am happy with the revised fee - and I think/hope they will get me a decent price . At the end of the day, a house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay, and I will only sell if I am happy with the price.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Getting an agency to deal with the whole letting process
                  by jpkeates
                  Agents who do tenant find only are incentivised to find the worst tenants.
                  Agent who have to live with who they find are less inclined to let to poor tenants....
                  28-07-2021, 15:11 PM
                • Getting an agency to deal with the whole letting process
                  by Luke
                  I am the LL to a three bedroom property in London and I currently have tenants staying there and they are due to move out at the end of this month .
                  The problem is that I am stuck abroad and I will have difficulties returning to the UK to find new tenants , and then I will not be able to return...
                  22-07-2021, 13:09 PM
                • The letting agent charged me more that we have agreed before
                  by Timonthy
                  My letting agent helped me to look for furniture package few months ago. Before I agreed to purchase the furniture package, the agent sent me the quotation. As I agreed with the items and the price in the quotation, I transferred money and agreed him to purchase that package.

However, I...
                  27-07-2021, 16:37 PM
                • Reply to The letting agent charged me more that we have agreed before
                  by jpkeates
                  Someone selling you a service can't charge more than you have agreed to pay for it without your agreement.
                  "Forgetting to tell you" isn't a valid reason, and, broadly speaking, it's their oversight and should be their cost.
                  28-07-2021, 15:10 PM
                • Letting agent
                  by Uklondoner
                  I now am thinking to let a letting agent to take over the whole flat. I have been letting each room separately but I feel it is getting harder , so I am considering to give it to them. I don't know if it a.good idea or not....
                  26-07-2021, 20:31 PM
                • Reply to Letting agent
                  by Uklondoner
                  Thanks I have HMO license from the local council although I just have 3 small rooms. I am not operating a hotel. I am planning to rent to a small group of people but I want an agent to manage it for me.or you think it is better to do it myself like I did before
                  26-07-2021, 22:26 PM
                • Reply to Letting agent
                  by ash72
                  Your responsibilities don't go away if you hand the property to an agent. If you are renting rooms out then it would be classed as an HMO and you need to have fulfilled the compliance aspects prior to renting it out as such with the local council's approval.

HMO's require more work than...
                  26-07-2021, 21:47 PM
                • Reply to Renewal fee for no renewal?
                  by Lawcruncher
                  The clause you quoted does not (appear to) say that though that may be what was intended. tt only says that if there is a definition of "tenancy agreement" which includes all future tenancies with the same tenant. Even if you have that, the law says it will only be enforceable if clearly pointed...
                  26-07-2021, 17:21 PM
                • Renewal fee for no renewal?
                  by abbb053
                  Hello everyone,

The current AST I have in place with my tenants becomes a rolling monthly soon. Will I need to continue paying agency fees?

The agency basically does nothing now. I manage everything. The document I signed at the start with them states 'the agreed percentage...
                  26-07-2021, 09:36 AM
                • Reply to Renewal fee for no renewal?
                  by abbb053
                  Their charging model does seem to be open ended. I can't seriously be expected to pay these guys the equivalent of a months rent for years and years to come just because they helped setup the initial agreement (especially given they literally do nothing now)...
                  26-07-2021, 15:29 PM
                Working...
                X