14 Day Cooling Period - Applicable to Lettings Agents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 Day Cooling Period - Applicable to Lettings Agents?

This might be a dumb question. Google was bringing up too many questions for me to work it out.

I signed an agreement with a lettings agent on the 3rd June. I didn't send it until the 5th and he responded on the 7th with a copy that has his signature. This was signed virtually as apparently this may matter due to something like on or off premise signings.

Now I don't want to work with him. He's apparently spoken to a potential tenant before even attending to take pictures and discussed rent with them. No other work. There's no cooling off period on his agreement. Someone told me certain contracts like this have a 14 day cooling off period and it doesn't matter if it's written in them or not as its law. Are lettings agents contracts covered by this? If so what's the date from? when I dated it when I sent or when he sent it back signed

Well let's hope you were not dumb enough to sign a contract which says that you are compelled to accept a tenant they choose (or any tenant at all).

What does the contract say about the obligations of the parties and what you owe them and when? We can't tell from here.

A cooling off period does not apply to tenancy agreements. Whether it apples to a contract with an agent -- I'm not sure but I think it probably does - but many contracts have a specific disclaimer if work is actually started within the cooling period as to payment for that.

Comment

The cooling off period only applies to services bought at a distance, which might apply if you've never met the agent.
      It also only applies if the agent is a company or trading as one.

It applies from the point that you entered the contract, which, I think, is the point that you signed the contract.

If you're not happy doing business with the agent, that's up to you, but the specific example in your post sounds like fairly normal behaviour for an agent.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

We've gone our separate ways after I invoked the 14 day cooling off period. Posting just for anyone in the future with this question. Doesn't mean you have to be let off. I'm just saying after I used that and it worked.

jpkeates I don't think you're right. https://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for...-to-watch-for/

Key point is "The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations indicate that sellers have a right to a 14 day cooling off period for contracts signed at a location away from the agent’s business premises"

This is what I sent that made agent back down. I did not sign in his office. So nothing to do with meeting them like you said jpkeates

Andrewdod it doesn't matter what was in the contract. The 14 day cooling off period allows you to walk away. In fact even if the agent put something in the contract saying 14 days doesn't apply with them you can still walk away "Importantly for those agents who give the vendor the option to sign away the right in order for agents to begin work immediately, consumers will nevertheless have the right to cancel a service which has begun within the cooling-off period."

Maybe that only applies for estate agents maybe not. My agent wasn't willing to take it to property ombudsman to find out

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X