Finding good agent to fully manage property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding good agent to fully manage property

Hi. I live abroad and have had the same super tenant for the last 10 years. Sadly, I've just been notified that my tenant is leaving in one months time as she is also moving abroad. I've not been thrilled with the current agent I use and would like to change, finding someone to find a new tenant, and then fully manage the property.This might sound naive but.....how do you go about finding a good letting agent?

The best way is to talk to people who are customers of the agent (ie, tenants).

Absent that, make a few enquiries on properties on right move using various email addresses and see what you think of the responses and how good they are at weeding out less than ideal applicants.

You have to be realistic, though.
    You're going to be a small customer worth (say) 2 month's rental per annum with little prospect of any additional business.
    Most agency staff are there for a short period or only have part time jobs.
    You're unlikely to get steller service levels unless you're very lucky.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Great, thank you jpkeates, I appreciate your advice.

Comment

I have generally tried to use small or family-run agents. IMHO you really want the people you are dealing with to have a stake in the business and preferably their name on it.
        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post
          I have generally tried to use small or family-run agents. IMHO you really want the people you are dealing with to have a stake in the business and preferably their name on it.
          This is excellent advice!
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post
            Probably your best shot, although any agency can take on staff and end up with someone useless.

Best of luck with it !

Comment

Originally posted by Beswick View Post
              Probably your best shot, although any agency can take on staff and end up with someone useless.
              I have had that happen. Expansion is a common hazard.
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Always check reviews! You can check reviews on their Facebook page or google page... then you can see what the previous tenants and landlords think of them.

Comment

I go and talk to them and see who I like. I go with a list of questions to see how they answer and ask about ALL the fees they charge

Comment

Hi Caroline, where abouts is your property?

Comment

Why not try and sell up while it is vacant. It is hard to sell with a tenant in. Even if you are lucky and get a good one the value is likely reduced.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X