Lettings agent wants to charge both checkout and check-in fees.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lettings agent wants to charge both checkout and check-in fees.

I am letting my main home as I've relocated for work - tenant moved out at the end of August and beginning of September a new tenant moved in. Lettings agent charged me a check-in fee back in Sept which I paid. They did not charge a check-out fee then, but are now asking for the checkout fee.

Do I have to pay a check-out fee AND a check-in fee for the tenant? Is the lettings agent trying to take me for a ride?

Thanks

Read your contract with the agent, how could we possibly know without knowing what you agreed to?

Comment

I would imagine they could charge you, since these are a check-out of the old T and a check in for the new T. Someone needs to pay for the inventories that conducted, and I doubt the LA is going to fund it for you.

Next time maybe just get a tenant finding service, if you don't want to pay them for it, after all they will be using external companies (most likely) to conduct the inventories and adding their 20% on top....

Read your contract and what you have to pay for, when you instruct them.

Comment

The detail is in your contract - even with tenant find only with some agents. Read the terms on the next contract, strike out and initial the bits about checking in/out and other things you may not need. Mine also charges to check the smoke alarm (which I can do myself).

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thanks all - I get the point about the contract. I paid for one inventory check - I don't see how it is necessary to do back-to-back inventories within a week, this is what I am trying to figure out.

Comment

How else are they going to know whether there is any damage beyond fair wear and tear?

Comment

They will do an inventory when the tenant leaves, to confirm the condition of the property, and how it differs from check-in (which will form the basis for any claims against deposit).

They will have another inventory (yes, probably a second printoff of the first one) for the new tenants to sign, probably at handover, when they have an opportunity to tour the property and check that they agree with it before signing.

It's what I'd expect, and I don't particularly like letting agents.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X