landlord changes his mind after signing contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenantnewbie
    replied
    Thank you very much jpkeates for the clarification. I will let my friend know, and hopefully this situation will not repeat itself again!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Tenantnewbie View Post
    is he entitled to do that, after a contract has been signed?
    No*.

If the tenant suffered any loss as a result of the contract not being fulfilled, they can claim compensation from the landlord.
    So any abortive moving fees, alternative accommodation costs etc.

*It is a common misapprehension amongst many agents and landlords that the contract isn't complete until it's counter signed by the landlord or their agent.
    Unless the contract says that this is the case, or has other conditions that have to be met to complete the contract, it's almost always completed when the tenant signs it.

Leave a comment:

• Tenantnewbie
    replied
    "Maybe this was a trick by the agent to hoodwink someone (maybe someone inexperienced ?) into ending up in a property that nobody else was taking, in order to 'get it off their hands' and collect their fees."

Yeah, I thought this much too. Very low.

"Don't deal with agents, find landlord who deals direct."

I find that almost impossible, as the main portals for searching for properties are zoopla, rightmove, spareroom and openrent... and even openrent is full of agents in disguise.

Of course if you know of any other place to use, that would be helpful to know! Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Originally posted by Tenantnewbie View Post
    Wow...

Thanks AndrewDod for the reply.

So, what to do to avoid stuff like this to happen again?
    Don't deal with agents, find landlord who deals direct.

Leave a comment:

• Beswick
    replied
    Maybe this was a trick by the agent to hoodwink someone (maybe someone inexperienced ?) into ending up in a property that nobody else was taking, in order to 'get it off their hands' and collect their fees.

Leave a comment:

• Tenantnewbie
    replied
    Wow...

Thanks AndrewDod for the reply.

So, what to do to avoid stuff like this to happen again? For example, how to make sure that the contract is a "proper" contract? Is enough just to check if there is a start date, like you said? Shouldn't there be the landlord's signature too?

I really want this to be as clear as possible, so that no one will fall into this again, or at least know they have the right to sue the agency.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    The problem might well be the agent. Bet you they offered the same property to several people (in the old days they would do this to pocket several sets of fees, these days more likely because they are not the sole agent or they did not have permission from the landlord to sign the contract at all).

If it was a clear contract with a start date, I would sue them for any loss. Problem is we now have no judiciary worthy of the name.

Leave a comment:

• landlord changes his mind after signing contract?

Hi everyone

a friend of mine found a place through an agency, she made an offer which was accepted, signed the contract... and then, a week before moving in, they contacted her saying the landlord went for someone else? I assume he just found someone willing to pay more but, what the hell, is he entitled to do that, after a contract has been signed?

So she had to rush to find another place, the agency "helped her" but they ended up giving her a flat with a lot of issues (like moisture on the walls, water leaking...) so now she is stuck there.

Is there anything she can do about it?

And what to do if something like this happens again (a landlord who changes his mind after signing the contract)?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X